Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
How many people use their Class "A"s as a vehicle to tow their race cars

I started a tread a while back on Trailers you tow behind your MH / Pictures of the whole rig http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/trailers-you-tow-behind-your-mh-pictures-of-the-whole-rig-181760.html

There has been a lot of activity on it with pictures of rigs towing trailers.

It became evident that there are a lot of people using their class "A" to tow their vehicles to the track.

Nothing gets e going more that going to the track. The weather out side is 11 degrees and I need something to warm my heart.

Lets see pictures of your race vehicle outside of your Motor Home. What tracks do you go to?

We run
New York International Race Way Park, Leister NY
Summit Motorsports Park, Norwalk Ohio
Beech Bend, Bowling Green Kentucky
Gateway Motorsports Park
Gateway Motorsports Park, Madison Illinois
Milan Dragway, Milan Michigan
New England Dragway, Epping New Hampshire
Route 66 Raceway, Joliet Illinois

Let's get through the winter by dreaming of spring.

Post your vehicle in action!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1803_adjusted.jpg
Views:	1913
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	84384   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gateway Double engine 028 adjusted.jpg
Views:	965
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	84388  

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 09:49 AM   #2

bullheaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I started a tread a while back on Trailers you tow behind your MH / Pictures of the whole rig http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/trailers-you-tow-behind-your-mh-pictures-of-the-whole-rig-181760.html

There has been a lot of activity on it with pictures of rigs towing trailers.

It became evident that there are a lot of people using their class "A" to tow their vehicles to the track.

Nothing gets e going more that going to the track. The weather out side is 11 degrees and I need something to warm my heart.

Lets see pictures of your race vehicle outside of your Motor Home. What tracks do you go to?

We run
New York International Race Way Park, Leister NY
Summit Motorsports Park, Norwalk Ohio
Beech Bend, Bowling Green Kentucky
Gateway Motorsports Park
Gateway Motorsports Park, Madison Illinois
Milan Dragway, Milan Michigan
New England Dragway, Epping New Hampshire
Route 66 Raceway, Joliet Illinois

Let's get through the winter by dreaming of spring.
I used to race division 7,, pulled with a 22' jamboree.. and then latter with a 32' southwind..
Old 01-27-2015, 03:19 PM   #4

This is a picture of mine at Limerock park.

I pull a 28 ft ATC Trailer weighing over 10K

The wife really enjoys coming with me now.

It is so nice having your home away from home at the track.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	84421  
Old 01-27-2015, 03:40 PM   #5
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37 View Post
This is a picture of mine at Limerock park.

I pull a 28 ft ATC Trailer weighing over 10K

The wife really enjoys coming with me now.

It is so nice having your home away from home at the track.
Those ATC trailers are very nice.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:03 PM   #6

Nascar Haulers

Most pro's use a Mega-C ToterHome, MotorHome, or Commercial truck to haul their 40 foot, 13'6" tall trailers. There weight would not be able to be pulled by even a Prevost. They require a 40,000# ball hitch or agin a commercial truck hitch.

JohnnyB
Old 01-27-2015, 04:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunsje View Post
Most pro's use a Mega-C ToterHome, MotorHome, or Commercial truck to haul their 40 foot, 13'6" tall trailers. There weight would not be able to be pulled by even a Prevost. They require a 40,000# ball hitch or agin a commercial truck hitch.

JohnnyB
we pulled our F.E.D ALL OVER THE WEST COAST WITH A 1/2 TON DODGE WITH A CAMPER SHELL.. MH WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE
Old 01-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #8
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunsje View Post

JohnnyB
Not really looking for pro's just us little guys

Old 01-27-2015, 05:11 PM   #9

Sure. My wife & I compete in autocross (SCCA Solo events). We run locally in Lexington KY, then SCCA around the midwest and national championships in Lincoln Nebraska. Also, Alfa Romeo Owners Club conventions all over the country. I have driven time trial events at these tracks:
Waterford hills Michigan
Summit Point, WVA
Infineon, California
Toronto, Canada
Autobahn, Joliet Illinois
Hallet, Tulsa Oklahoma
Portland, Oregon
Moroso, Florida
Pocono, PA
Road Atlanta
Pacific raceway,Seattle
Grattan, Michigan
Aspen, Colorado
(2 different Alfas hauled by 4 different motorhomes and 3 different trailers)

And: "Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill"

Quote:
I started a tread a while back on Trailers you tow behind your MH / Pictures of the whole rig...

Let's get through the winter by dreaming of spring. Post your vehicle in action!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF1029.JPG
Views:	1065
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	84430   Click image for larger version

Name:	Waterford.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	142.2 KB
ID:	84434  

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #10

Part of the reason we bought ours was so I could pull the miata to the track. Doing sebring and vir in February.

Summit Point is where I caught the track bug.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Not really looking for pro's just us little guys
Old 01-27-2015, 08:06 PM   #12

We bought our 1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite solely to use with the drag car. We have been fortunate in that we usually store the rig at the track, but have towed 200 miles on occasion.

Ken Gasbarri
Old 01-28-2015, 10:03 AM   #13

I dont currently have any pics in my tablet of racecars and MH. But I will take some and post them up.
Currently pulling a 22' LOOK trailer with my 35g Winnie. I have 2 racecars. First is a Porsche 1987 944 Spec and a BMW 1987 325 spec. The Spec means they have rigid rules to make all cars in class as equal as possible. Both of these cars are used for road racing at tracks in California such as Laguna Seca, Infineon, Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, Thunderhill and California Speedway.
we usually race about 10 weekends a year and take the MH to all of them. The wife drives the MH but only if its not towing the race trailer. She dosent feel ready for that yet.
I am on my 16th year of car racing and dont see an end in sight. We really enjoy the people and comradeie that racing provides.
I respect all forms of racing. Get out there and try it if it is on your bucket list. Most tracks have open test days that will allow you to take your own vehicle on track. I have even seen rental cars out there.

Charlie
Old 01-28-2015, 11:25 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Love racing threads. Unfortunately we no longer race. We sold our 1940 blown small-block powered car about ten years ago and got into sand drag racing. This past year we decided to sell all our sand drag toys and put more money into retirement.

I keep telling myself I will get back into racing someday but to be honest I don't see it after seeing how much happier my wallet and bank account have been this past year.

Here is our coach/trailer parked in front of the house heading to the races a couple of years ago.

Rear view parked at the races one weekend.

Car we used to race. 1940 Chev coupe with B&M 250cu blown small-block. Car ran mid-12's. Also showed it around the Western U.S. a bit. We won first in our class at the Salt Lake City Auto-Rama in 1998. First place at the Boise Roadster Show in 1998 and was featured in Street Rodder Magazine in January 1997 issue. Sold the car in spring of 2006 and paid the house off. I built the car completely myself other than the upholstery. I fabricated the frame, built the engine, transmission, rear end, setup the chassis and did all of the paint and body work in my home shop.

I built this little budget bracket racer a year or so later and only ran it for about two years. I also used it as a shop truck for shagging parts and it did double duty on the weekends at the strip. Pretty stock with the exception of a highly built transmission by myself and a 75hp NOS system. I bought it as a theft recovery that had been stripped and left abandoned. I built it from the frame up including paint and body on this one as well.

Our last racing endeavor was sand drag racing. We did some local hillshooting and quite a bit of 300' drags. A very nice sand drag strip was being errected in central Utah and had a lot of investors but it kind of fizzled out the last couple of years which is why we decided to sell our sand drag toys.

Here we are parked at a local hill drag racing event. We got there early to test and tune our quads and rail. Pretty informal and no amenities, just parked in the middle of the desert for the weekend.

Here is what my son raced. A smaller 250cc class Suzuki (black/purple) that we back-halved with 4130 chromoly and lightened plus stroked the two-stroke motor. Also the larger Suzuki GS1100 quad (green quad) that we completely build the 4130 chassis and suspension on. Both of these quads were featured in Sand Sports Magazine in the Jan/Feb issue of 2010.

Only shot I had of my son racing the green GS1100 powered quad. Usually I wasn't available to take pictures as I was working the hot pits for my son and at the starting line. Another reason we quit asphalt racing and went to sand drag racing was my son was able to race at the sand drags at an earlier age. I beleive he was 14 when he first started racing 300' in the sand.

And my last sand drag toy. A 120" turbo-charged and NOS powerd Mazda 13b rotary powerd mid-engine sand rail. Total weight was right at 1k pounds with 365 hp on 110 octane fuel plus a 75 hp NOS setup. Car left the line like a rocket and was a blast to pilot. Hands down the fastest car I have ever owned or raced. Made my 1940 Chev coupe feel like a baby stroller. Again, I fabricated the entire tube chassis on this car out of 1.5" and 1" DOM tubing. I also built the engine and Rhino cased transaxle in my home shop. The only thing I didn't do myself on this car is the upholstery and I had the kandy purple powder coating done at a local powder coater.

Damn, I miss racing.

Great thread Glenn, thanks for starting it.

Mike.

zmotorsports is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow