Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2016, 09:40 AM   #15

My tag coach at 44' drives like a big car. I always like to think the difference is like pulling a single axle trailer verses a duel axle one. More stable overall.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
The tag offers more than just load distribution. Years ago, I went from a 34" gas to a new 36' gas with a tag axle. There was a world of difference in the ride and handling in cross winds. We have friends that have a 97 Pace Arrow on a Ford chassis with a tag axle. He also commented on what an improvement the tag made. That third axle will add stability to any vehicle.
We're looking at a 1992, I'd still like the 94, Elante`37RQ gas coach built on a Ford F53 chassis which has a tag. It weight rating is GVWR of 18K and GCVWR of 25K so it has the ability to pull a toad. Hearing that even on a gas coach 37' long a tag make driving that much better is great news.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
That third axel also adds some "maintenance and tire expense" which is not required on non-tag coach.
Looks like a 33% increase in tire costs, plus it will also cost some basement storage capacity.
znt1186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:52 AM   #18

Too many variables with the question as open as it is. You can see, you are getting a variable of answers, all from different perspectives.

If you don't need the extra CCC or plan on hauling a heavy load behind you, then a non tag DP will be OK to go with.

If you want the extra CCC and or plan to haul a heavier load behind you. The the Tag will pay dividends on that front.

The normal list of Pro's /Con's on the Tag vs Non Tag are:
Pro's
-Tighter turning radius, due to drive wheels being set forward
-Extra CCC and heavy load towing capacity
-One more pair of brakes with one more pair of rubber patches hitting the pavement, does help on braking
-More stable ride under all conditions
-As RVNET's forum member stated 'Tags Look Sexy'!

Con's
-More weight
-Loss of storage bay
-One more pair of brakes, shock, tires to maintain

You can find DP tags down to 37-38' (Older Foretravel's and Country Coach come to mind.), as well as in quite a few 40' coaches too. While some 42' coaches do not have tags, most of the time when you jump to 42-45' - you end up with a tag.

One benefit of going to a 42' vs 40' DP, is you usually get three full bays, vs 2 1/2 bays on many 40' tag coaches.

And repeating the variables - not all chassis are built the same. Spartan and Freightliner are the volume chassis builders. They have entry level chassis all the way to high end chassis. Same with the engine and side vs rear radiator story to. The coach manufacturers choose/spec the price point they are looking for in a chassis, and the chassis builders provide a contented chassis to meet that price point.

Another factor on 'coach handling', is the Comfort Drive and or TRW equivalent. Many Newmar owners with Non Tag that have Comfort Drive, are very satisfied with their coaches handling on the road.

Another factor on tag vs non tag, is in some of the specialty higher end coaches chassis. Newel, Foretravel, Country Coach, Alpine, and some Tiffens, have their own specially designed chassis. Both tag and non tagged. The coaches with these chassis usually have superior handling and CCC and load towing and more rigid foundations for the coaches to be built upon.

I separated Monaco from the above, as they had the well thought of Roadmaster series of chassis. They have entry level chassis all the way up to their top end coaches and chassis. The higher up the food chain coaches, say 8 baggers and above, are well thought of as far as handling and stability.

So, OP, a simple answer is not available. But, IMO, you can make a pretty general response of 'Yes, tags handle better, and make a difference.'

Another set of opinions have been shared with you!

Best to all, travel safe, have fun,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:12 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
The degree of "Better" is perhaps best measured by the need you are trying to satisfy.

a. If you need a greater payload and/or tow load it would be a bunch better.

b. Justification for paying a higher price? Likely not a bunch better.

I suspect if you are comparing Country Coach Intrigue models of different lengths with and without tag axles, the real benefit is the length and weight capacity, not the handling.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:10 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I've had both gas tag axle and non tag as well as diesel pusher non tag and tag. Both units with the tag had a much better feeling. Cruising down the interstate with less driver input. Always felt like I was chasing the non tag ones down the road. Yes I had new tires and alignments on all, but there is always wind and other vehicles passing you and the tag just plants to the ground better. If the extra maintenance costs of another axle is an issue,(over and above the other costs associated with owning one of these) you might want to consider another lifestyle.
Old 01-20-2016, 02:24 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
One of the reasons I asked is that there are a lot of used coaches for sale with tag axles. Initially, we had dismissed them as something we didn't need or want, but maybe we should take another look.
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:31 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Don't just look, take a drive. The proof is in the driving. My 45 foot tag 4-airbag coach drives and handles worlds better than my previous coach which was a 41 footer with 8 airbags and no tag.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:42 PM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not speaking from experience here, since the 40' Windsor is our first coach. I don't see how you could really say, one way or the other, unless you went from a non-tag coach to a tag coach that was the same manufacturer, same series, same chassis, but maybe just a couple of feet longer. For example, going from a 40' DP to a 42' DP.

I may be totally wrong on this, but that's just my simplified thinking!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #24

The two main things I noticed vs. the previous non tag DP is I feel it must less when a semi passes me and it doesn't porpoise as much after crossing a hump or dip.
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:29 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

While the tag may have some fringe benefits in addition to its basic purpose (load carrying), I don't think any coach builder uses a tag unless it is required to handle the greater weight of the coach. There simply aren't enough pros to offset the cons/cost otherwise.

When comparing a tag axle coach/chassis to some previously owned non-tag it is impossible to identify how much the tag may have contributed to ride and feel, since almost by definition the tag coach is longer and heavier, and probably a newer and higher end model as well.

Unless really poorly designed, large and heavier coaches generally always ride better and feel more stable. Tag and non-tag 40 footers will ride and handle about the same if the coaches are otherwise similar in weight and equipment.

That said, an extra axle will have some ride benefit when crossing potholes and other short bumpy things. With two axles, one is usually on the smooth part and carrying the load while the other bounces over the hole or bump. But if that rough stretch is wider than the distance between the axles, then both bounce around just like a single axle.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote