Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-25-2016, 12:51 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
Length of coach can make a huge difference.

The key questions:
1. Where do like to camp and what do you plan to do rving?
2. What roads do you plan to drive?
3. What is your driving experience and what kind of vehicle are you comfortable driving?

We like to camp at state parks, COE, USFS and dry camp. We will park at a private campground if others are not available or the private campground fits our schedule best. We rarely stay at "resort" campgrounds with all the luxury amenities.

We have a Monaco Safari Trek model 2810 which is just about 29 feet. However, since we don't have a bedroom, we have the living space of a 38 ft. coach. We have the best of both worlds. If we had a 40 or 45 ft. coach there are many places we could not go. Our coach is very maneuverable. We have driven CA 1 the entire length and coaches longer than 32 feet are not recommended on that road.

I have driven school buses and trucks over the years. Our church has a large transit school bus which I drive. The long wheelbase of a 45 ft. coach will limit the places you can go and park. Getting use to driving a longer coach is a matter of time and experience. For some that is easy. Doesn't bother me to switch from one to the another.

Again, key questions involve where you like to camp, floor plan, and where like to go.

Al Z
2003 Monaco Safari Trek 2810
Coos Bay, Oregon
zekegb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 08:45 PM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
We went from a 31' Class C to a 38' Class A. Really couldn't notice the difference, you have to be cautious with both.

The Class C didn't have as good of view as to side view and rear camera. The side mirrors really didn't do a good job and your vantage view was lower which didn't give you a good view of front traffic.

The Class A has good visibility, mirrors provide good side views, rear view camera is great, and you are sitting up higher to see what's coming.

Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:25 PM   #17
I'd like to add my $.02! LOL!! We went from a 27' ft. Class C, to 32' Class A, to 36' Class A, to a 39' Class A, and now a 40' Class A. I never had a problem all the way up to the 40'ft. but there was a difference, actually quite a big difference, but it was the wheelbase, that really fooled me. The wheelbase from the 39'ft. increased 20", that made a difference getting around in parking lots, and CG. It also made a big difference in the ride and the way it handles in the wind, it is way more solid feeling and smoother.
'05 Monaco Beaver 400 Quad SLD 400hp C-9 Caterpillar
2014 Grand Cherokee, Limited, diesel
Katie-Doberman Pinscher, Tigger, yellow Tabbycat.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:33 PM   #18
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by zekegb View Post
The long wheelbase of a 45 ft. coach will limit the places you can go and park. Getting use to driving a longer coach is a matter of time and experience. For some that is easy. Doesn't bother me to switch from one to the another.
Not really. The Magna has a 56 or 58 wheel cut depending on which brochure I read, plus the tag lifts. The wheels base with the tag lifted is about the same as our 40' Dutch Star was and has more wheel cut. So, getting in or out of spots is not a real problem with it.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 01:02 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I went from 34' Winnebago on a W-20 chassis to 40' KSDP. Cornering, stopping and sitting in front of the axle vs. being on top of it changes things a bit. But I acclimated quickly. I went from 21,000 lbs GCW to 35,000 lbs GCW. That took the most of getting use to. Going from hydraulic braking system to air is a bit of a learning curve. Before the 34' class A I had a 30' class C. I've just always been able to drive almost anything and learn fast since I was a kid (that's a story in itself). The key is to make whatever your operating (tractor, motorcycle, car, truck, airplane, boat or RV and yes I've operated all) an extension of yourself. It's all relative. I kind of questioned myself when I bought the DP because of the extra 10,000 lbs but my friend that I co-own a 42' yacht with reminded me it weights 30,000 lbs and I drive it like a baby carriage in and out of the slip and moorings so that boosted my confidence. I do love my DP and way it handles. Of the 3 MHs I've owned it is the easiest to drive in all conditions with great maneuverability.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:59 AM   #20
When we bought over 40ft it meant 10k gen, 3rd AC, bigger fuel tank, bigger holding tanks, another axel and brakes, bigger engine, king bed, more counter space, longer slides in living area, extra sink & medicine cabinet. The sofa was 10in longer and when removed had enough room for two Lazyboy recliners and table. It was well worth the extra the extra length.
American Tradition 42R-Cadillac SRX Blue Ox Koni 5050XL MCD Scangauge D Samsung rf197
Fulltime since 2012
336muffin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #21
Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Looks like I am the outlier in this array of data. 2' DOES make a difference to me. We started with a 32' Class C and I quickly became comfortable driving it (DH and I take turns driving). When we decided to move to a Class A, we looked at a very nice gently used 36' model, but I felt I could not negotiate the additional four feet of length with ease or comfort. So we moved up to a 34' and it has suited us perfectly. The additional length still gives me a bit of a pause at times, but it is workable and I feel I can drive it safely. And SAFELY is the operative word for me. I admire folks who can handle the bigger units, but knowing my personal limitations keeps me out of a lot of trouble...
2014 Newmar Bay Star 3308
Patti Brown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:28 AM   #22
I went from 36' to 38' and it did not make a big difference in driving. It does prevent me from using some sites (about 10) at a park I used to frequent. At that park the limit on some sites were 35' I could carefully put my 36' in them but I know that the 38' will not fit. There are only 2 reservable sites and 2 non reservable sites at that park that will fit up to 40' coaches.

An additional note for me is that if I went from this 38' to a 40' I would not be able to get it into my driveway without the county moving a speed limit sign or perhaps a 32 point turn trying to back it in .

But for the most part 2' does not make a big difference driving the rig. It does make a difference in space available.

mikelcan is offline   Reply With Quote