Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #15

tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmSprings View Post
Please,only feedback from those that have actually done this and have real life experience with it.
How many of you have run different ,1/2 inch or less, tire diameters on one side vs the other on the rear without any known damage ?

Im guessing that 1/2 inch is probably okay,but mine will be less
Any actual experience out there?
How many miles was run thar way?
Mine RV is a Rexhal ford chassis/drivetrain
If you have a limited slip rear end, or a locker style rear end assembly, YES, it can have negative effects internally on the "clutches", springs, load sensing that if severe enough can shorten the life of the rear end assembly.

If you do not have a limited slip or locking rear, the effect is only slight; and I would not lose a lot of sleep over it. Look at it this way, if you had 30K miles on your tires, and had to change one out because of a flat.....if your spare was new and had never been on the ground, it WILL be taller than the other three. Tractor trailers put millions of miles on tires everyday matched this way. I see nothing to lose sleep over here. Of course all four being equal is the best scenario, but is not always available; and the engineers who design this stuff now this. That is one reason they engineer things that will provide satisfactory results in less than satisfactory conditions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #16

Ahh,now the info is flowin . Great info.
I was just checking my tires and theyre all13 to 15 /32nds tread depth
My outer right rear tire BLEW awhile back and I replaced it with a new BFG st230
As a new tire It has 16/32 .The inner tire has9/32. Thats 1/4 inch difference.
So far no Pbs.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #17

That small of a difference is no difference really........happy motoring.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

The diff is indeed designed to allow one end of the axle to turn faster or slower than the other, but in normal operation the stress/wear averages out as first one end and then the other is the faster one. This is normal operation in turns, but you don't always turn the same way (unless you are on a Nascar track). With different size tires, one end is always running faster than the other, equivalent to a continuous turn (even though you are driving straight). That wears the diff rather quickly.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:07 AM   #19

If you look on the major tire vendor sites under specifications, they show revolutions per mile by tire. In some cases two tires with the same dimensions will have different revolutions per mile based on how they are constructed. It is the revolutions per mile that matter.

If you mix tires on one hub, you will drag a tire, if you mix them across the differential (small on left hub larger on right) you will be making the differential work to compensate. I don't know if that causes problems for the diff, but you should not be dragging a tire.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #20
doc

Appalachian Campers
Are you sure? If both tires are bolted to the same hub, they are turning at the same shaft/axle speed RPM aren't they? If one is "dragging", then which one? Certainly the taller tire is carrying the majority of the load but not dragging.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:43 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
Are you sure? If both tires are bolted to the same hub, they are turning at the same shaft/axle speed RPM aren't they? If one is "dragging", then which one? Certainly the taller tire is carrying the majority of the load but not dragging.
Good point. One problem that *might* occur is that as the tire pair rides over uneven road, the friction load shifts back-and-forth between the two tires and could create a shear force at the rim/hub connection. It could *possibly* increase the chance of rim/stud/lugnut failure. This is all conjecture, but the bottom line is it is never smart to do anything to add stress to tires.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 11:01 AM   #22

Hmmm. Two tires with different revolutions per mile, attached to the same rotating assembly, and neither is dragged?

Looking at the Goodyear site I see that the G670 275 70R22.5 will rotate 548 times per mile, and the very similar G670 275 80R22.5 will rotate 517 times per mile.

Help me understand this, where will the difference of 31 rotations per mile be absorbed? Will the carcass of the tires wind up like a spring?
Old 07-31-2011, 12:32 PM   #23
doc

Appalachian Campers
Paul, they are traveling on the same axle. If you had different size pulleys, say a 6 inch and a 3 inch bolted together, side by side, on the same shaft, then they would both travel at whatever speed the shaft was turning. If there was a reference mark on each pulley and a fixed point these points would pass as they rotated, each mark would pass the fixed point at the same time. If you measured the circumference of the two pulleys, the difference would be substantial and the larger fixed point would have 'traveled' quite a bit further than the smaller fixed point.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:32 PM   #24

Doc - that would be my point. The larger pulley would travel a greater distance measured by the circumference while they would both experience the same number of degrees of rotation.

One or both of the two tires will be scrubbing.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #25
doc

Appalachian Campers
I do see what you are saying. And I could probably argue that point. I know I should have taken more physics classes.

I guess I could say the larger tire would dominate and the smaller, while still rotating and moving forward is still being 'dragged' forward what ever distance there is in the circumference in the two on each rotation. !! Makes sense
Yep, I could argue from your side as well.... and you may be right!!

I buy the adult beverages next time we see each other.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #26

Well, no matter how you look at it, unless (like a NASCAR vehicle) it was designed for it, left and right tires should always be as close in size as possible.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:40 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
I used to run logging trucks and would match tires side by side up to an inch difference with never any ill effects. A half in difference is nothing when you consider the ruts in the roads nowadays. In reallity your outside tire is probably carrying more weight than the inside tire. If you put a chalk mark on the face of the two side by side tires bolted to the same hub and run them for several revolutions the marks will still line up. They both travel the same distance when they are bolted together. If you run them seperately then there will be a differance. When matching two tires together with a different circumfirance I would allways put the bigger one on the inside, although keeping the same sizes together is the best policy.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:52 AM   #28

This is getting way to complicated, all 4 tires on one axle same size say 275 80R 22.5. Some have diffrent tread depths therfore slightly diffrent height. Roads are not flat they are crowned (sloped to the shoulder). So on the R/R out side taller tire, R/R inside shorter tire, L/R inside taller tire, L/R outside shorter tire. If you run a bunch of miles on a set of duels measure a set with a tire depth guage and you will find them worn in that order, they will not be worn evenly in each position. Bottom line inflate em to the proper pressure, match mount em as close as possable, put em on in that order and go camping, ain't no big thing.

bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote