Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-30-2015, 04:26 PM   #15
If you opt to get the lot and do the work, be sure you have enough elevation from the pad to the sewer line to get drainage flow...or you will be back to the macerator operation.
I have a 28x55 pad and canopy over it all, with 50amp only, and $20k is pretty close to what it all cost.

'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2015, 04:42 PM   #16
Winnebago Owners Club
Go online, get an education. Decide if you can do it yourself, if you can, it will be cheap for wiring & water. You do not need Sewer if you are not going to live in it.

If you cannot do it yourself, get bids.

Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:24 PM   #17
I installed a sewer clean out for about 20 bucks in parts next to the garage which is less that 10 feet from the RV. I installed a 50 amp plug in a box on the side of the garage as well. That cost about 150 bucks in parts and an electrician friend did the final connect to the panel. That cost me a steak and some beer. You need to find the distance from the electrical panel and sewer before you can estimate costs.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #18
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
What it cost me

Originally Posted by donnariley53 View Post
Sorry, newbie questions tend to be very open ended, 'cause I don't even know what I don't know. But the intent of my question is, if I have a choice between two properties, one has a pad with hookups and the other doesn't, how much would it cost to make property #2 RV storage/hookup friendly assuming an "average" distance and material type (if such a thing exists)? Would maybe $1000 usually be enough with someone else doing all the work?

Here is what it cost me.

$3000 for RV Pad and Driveway Cut the curb and ran driveway and Pad 54 Feet down side of house. Concrete, Labor and permits.
$50 for 50 amp box and circuit breakers. Existing panel in Garage. Mounted box on side of garage only needed 4 ft of #8 wire. Did the labor myself.
$400 for macerator and 75 feet of 1 inch hose. Run hose to sewer clean out when I have to empty tanks.

2006 Four Winds Hurricane 31D, Steer Safe, CHF, 50 Amp Conversion, 3000 Watt Inverter, Toad is a 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport. Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar, Apollo Braking System
mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:44 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks so much for all the help! We are only thinking about moving at this time, but it is very helpful to know the added value of a site on the property.

donnariley53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 08:53 PM   #20
We added a third driveway at our house over what had just been dirt. 8' 6" wide and about 70 feet from the street, with heavier/thicker concrete where the RV would actually be stored was about $3000.

There was an outside water spigot about 20' away and we just hooked the RV's water hose to it if we needed it. Our house electrical system included a dedicated circuit breaker for one outlet in the "den", intended as a computer power outlet. Since we use that room as a guest bedroom, I got the hardware to change the 20A breaker for a 30A and to run a line to an "in-use weatherproof" socket enclosure on the garage wall. I never did the mod before we sold the RV. My parts are available if you would like them - just for postage! Send me a PM if you're interested.
Frank Damp -Anacortes, WA,(DW- Eileen)
ex-pat Brits (1968) and now ex-RVers, as of 08 Dec 14.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 11:08 PM   #21
As many of the previous posters have said, connecting your rv to house sewer system is not permitted in many areas. Generally they are not going to catch you unless a neighbour complains and they send a code inspector around. Many Electricians will not complete work without a permit as they risk loosing their licences if caught. So...get your electrical work done and inspected, then discreetly connect the sewer after the fact.
2014 Newmar Ventana 4037 / 4018
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd.
1940 Chevrolet Pickup
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:28 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If for storage only, why the need for full hookups? All that is needed is a 120vac out to plug into for battery charging. Water and sewer connections nice to have if actually using the RV where stored, but not required.
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:44 AM   #23
Well here in good old Chaffee, small town USA, there was no permit required. I went to lowes bought the necessary pvc, took my spade and started digging. I have a 50 foot pad in the back yard. Had to install the sewer hookup on the passenger side or go under the pad. So opted for the easy route
Had an unused circuit that had been used for an electric stove in the house so again broke out the spade, bought the necessary conduit and an RV box only used one leg of the circuit to provide 30 amps to the post. Ran the 10 gauge wire to the post installed the RV box. Has been in use for over 5 years no problems.
Cost of the project, well the rv box was bought off E-bay, don't remember exactly but less than 35.00. The pvc was probably 20 or 30 bucks, and the 10 gauge wiring, about 60 foot, (didn't use that much, only about 25 foot from the house) used about 35 foot.
The excavation by spade was free, just my sweat, the pvc installation was free, did it myself, the wiring was free, did it myself, but I'm what you call "Handy"
Nailed two treated 2x4's together and installed the rv box on that if you look at the rear of this picture you'll see the post behind the storage box. Hope this helps.
Oh forgot the Concrete pad, I didn't do that myself, had a contractor do it and it cost about 3 grand. 50 feet by 12 foot wide from the street. Its been installed about 10 years now.

MGySgt USMC(R) 1961-1991
2001 Fleetwood Expedition
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sierra Toad
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 05:59 AM   #24
Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I hooked it into my septic tank with tubes running down for a sewer hookup. I put caps on them when not in use. I haven't hooked up a 30 amp outlet yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_2342.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	237.3 KB
ID:	93047   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_2345.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	247.6 KB
ID:	93048  

Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:30 PM   #25
I added the electrical with a 60 amp 220volt service as a outdoor sub panel. Then I added a 30 amp 110 breaker and two 20 breakers for a convenience outlet and a another close to the boat trailer for its charger. Anyway plenty for service for the next 50 amp RV plus some additional capacity. Parts cost was about $300

Then I had a buddy spill 6" of 3/4 road gravel 15' x 75 that was another $300 undressed but man he could dispense from that dump truck! Didn't take more than an hour or 2 to clean it up and poof! RV gravel parking with electric plus room for my 32' boat trailer.

A four dollar 90' adapter for the sewer clean out and a nearby hose bib nap poof! Full hook ups.

So yes it an be $40,000.00 or under $800. It all depends on what your looking for and how much you'd like to spend.
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:59 PM   #26
Winnebago Owners Club
24 x 40 RV Carport - $7K
4" Gravel Base - $400
Dedicated 30A service to carport - $300
Grey Water Discharge - $30 (30' of perforated pipe and the hedge gets watered).
Black Water Discharge - Camping World or local campground.
Enjoying the simple life w/a 1994 Winnebago Brave 31RQ (A). Past RVs; RoadTrek (B), Starcraft Pop-up, Coachmen (C), MinnieWinnie (C) and an American Something-or-other (TT). Started it all off as a teenager in a 1964 Apache Pop-up we named Wag Along.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #27
Eight years ago I had a 12' X 48' RV port built. Just compacted road mat as concrete is not needed. It's wide enough to have the driver side slide outs extended for a guest house when needed. I trenched in wire from a garage for 50 amp power. The RV port is within two sewer hose lengths of a clean out. I run a fresh water hose from the house and we have full hook ups for the "Guest House". I have a total of $9300 invested.

2013 43 QGP Allegro Bus
26' Enclosed trailer for toys
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

service, water