Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #29

I have owned 2 gassers 1 used and 1 new both great units but they just were not a dp test drove a few before purchased our revolution le they are not all the same as far as cost you have to pay just like planes,boats,and I also a BMW lover own 2 so what ever makes you happy it doesn't matter I O I O it's off to work I go
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2010, 05:05 PM   #30

The diesel will be more, way more. Simple as that. But other than the fact they have 6 wheels (OK 8 for you tag axle's) and a place to sleep inside, you are comparing apples to oranges. Chevy to Cadillac, Porsche to VW. A nuclear submarine to a rowboat. Get my point? A modern diesel pusher has 10 times the systems in them than a class a gasser. Way better ride, more comfort, power, hydronic heating systems, hydraulic systems, residential fridges, etc. There is stuff in these DP coaches that would make a rocket scientist scratch his head.

But if you are strictly wanting to know which is cheaper...gas. End of the story. Now we're off to the coast...in our diesel pusher.
Snowman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:39 AM   #31

DP owners have one resource available to them that regrettably is not available for Class A gas owners...Speedco.

Speedco takes quite a few of the worries and a lot of the cost out of DP ownership. While you still have to find another resource for your transmission, hydraulic system and coolant changes, Speedco can do the following for the DP owner:

-LOF using Rotella T and Fleetguard Filters, tire inspection, SCA check, hydraulic fluid check, coolant filter change, primary and secondary fuel filter change, service oil lubed front axle hubs, check rear differential fluid all for $159.99 for a medium displacement engine like the ISC or ISL - $159.99 includes one filter.

Small blocs like ISB are 109.00.

-Additional charge for additional fuel filter $12.98 each

Cat owners can have Cat filters installed for an upcharge. As I do not have a Cat, I do not know what those charges would be.

-Additional charge for replacing coolant filter- $13.99

-Service diesel generator (oil, oil filter, fuel filter) - $34.99

-Install customer supplied air filter for generator- ( did not charge me for this).

-Basic service includes a tire condition report with tread depths noted

-Onsite oil analysis report which contains your prior test results for comparision purposes -$17.99

You can stay and witness all the work being done. You are in and out in 1 hour or less with no appointment required.

Not too shabby for all the annual maintenance. The items that Speedco does not do are typically every 2-3 years depending on the system.

As you can see, I am a big fan

Dave
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
"Having said that.... I'll never own anything BUT a diesel. Go figure... the best reason to own one is because you WANT one... "

...and can afford one.

Let's face it, there are many to whom money is not a big issue and whatever it takes to have the safest and most reliable coach with the least amount of intervention is just a check away. And I say good for them, but we are not all in that position. I will stick with my gasser that costs me less than $100 a year for normal engine maintenance. That is until I win the lotto or change my priorities. And my gasser will pass the loaded 18 wheelers up the mountain too. It's all about horsepower to weight ratio.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #33

Quote:
A modern diesel pusher has 10 times the systems in them than a class a gasser
A very large heavy coach requires the power of a diesel engine but gassers are equipped just as nicely as the DPs.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote