Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2015, 08:37 AM   #1

How much Dynamat do I need

and what thickness do you recommend. Winnebago 53c chassis.

thanks
olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 08:53 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
It is very hard to tell what your asking based on the lack of information. However, if you're talking about the new/current Winnebago Vista series (27/29/35), then you would have a Ford F53 chassis.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:55 AM   #3

Sorry, it is a winnebago vista with the ford chassis. Dynamat is a sound insulation material very popular for applying to the engine compartment.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by olustee bus View Post
and what thickness do you recommend. Winnebago 53c chassis.

thanks
I used the dyna-mat extreme under the entire cab carpet and doghouse,then 1/2" carpet pad over top of it,then new carpet,also did as much of firewall on inside as i could reach,including area under dash.The amount depends on how involved you want to get.Measure area,then buy accordingly.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #5

Was there a big reduction in noise?
Old 12-21-2015, 04:40 PM   #6

Concur with the suggestion to do as much as you can, especially up the firewall and floor of passenger compartment. Just estimate what you need by measuring, add some extra, and then order some up. The foil-backed and approx 1/16 inch thick does wonders for the noise and also has some insulation value to minimize heat as well. You can also do the doors or side panels to help more. There really is no downside, the more the better.

I did the floor, firewall as far as I could reach, and the engine cover in my old super-C and it did make a nice improvement.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:04 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree with 38chevy454, in regards to noise reduction,much better

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 12-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #8

I used a similar product on my corvette coupe and it did wonders. I did the complete interior. It was a little about 16th inch. I was thinking of the 1/2 inch dynamat.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:37 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
I used the dyna-mat extreme under the entire cab carpet and doghouse,then 1/2" carpet pad over top of it,then new carpet,also did as much of firewall on inside as i could reach,including area under dash.The amount depends on how involved you want to get.Measure area,then buy accordingly.
RICK. I am glad you posted this as I have been looking at the different products. I am pretty sure I am going with the dynamat as well, but have a small question? The extreme does not appear to have a heat rating were as the HOODLINER by dynamat is what is recommended for heat and sound. is there any issue with just using the dynamat extreme instead of the hoodliner product? Both come in sheets so application to the dog house would essentially be the same, both are about $160 for enough sheets to cover what I want and also apply some to the generator door and roof area. Just wondering.
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #10

There are many lower priced similar products than just the "dynamat" brand. Just search "sound deadening" on ebay or similar and you will find many options.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
There are many lower priced similar products than just the "dynamat" brand. Just search "sound deadening" on ebay or similar and you will find many options.
I have researched about everyone of them including what Fleetwood factory is using which is the spray on liner (Lizard Skin). The DynaMat is the only one that specifically has a heat and sound insulation factor in their HOODLINER product. I am concerned about anything under the doghouse with close proximity to the engine heat will degrade over time. The lizard skin is not as good for sound as you have to apply several layers to get the same quality of the DynaMat hoodliner. Lizard skin is probably easier to apply with the gun tho.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:59 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
RICK. I am glad you posted this as I have been looking at the different products. I am pretty sure I am going with the dynamat as well, but have a small question? The extreme does not appear to have a heat rating were as the HOODLINER by dynamat is what is recommended for heat and sound. is there any issue with just using the dynamat extreme instead of the hoodliner product? Both come in sheets so application to the dog house would essentially be the same, both are about $160 for enough sheets to cover what I want and also apply some to the generator door and roof area. Just wondering.
Dennis,
I installed it also on the underside of the doghouse,2 years ago or so,have had nothing fall off to date. I can not think of any reason why you could not use all hoodliner everywhere,95% of what I installed was inside,under the carpet.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 01-14-2018, 06:08 AM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
The Dynamat web site says best results if you use Extreme and then Hoodliner. I've ordered both. Anyone have feedback on this idea? Note to self: Put doghouse back on after measuring....a B-1-R-D got in within an hour of removing it. It was pretty entertaining watching the DW and grandkid trying to set it free
ThorVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:13 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorVegas View Post
The Dynamat web site says best results if you use Extreme and then Hoodliner. I've ordered both. Anyone have feedback on this idea? Note to self: Put doghouse back on after measuring....a B-1-R-D got in within an hour of removing it. It was pretty entertaining watching the DW and grandkid trying to set it free

I used extreme only and am very happy with just that. Adding the hood liner would add significant weight. The extreme makes it pretty heavy. JMO