Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #1

How much extra is a diesel pusher worth?

We're looking to purchase a used RV in the coming year, 28'-34' Class A, probably 2013 or newer. We expect to be on the road for weeks or a few months at a time. We're looking at the more highly rated brands: Tiffin, Newmar, Winnegago, Monaco, Itasca, and maybe Jayco and Fleetwood (I'm sure this list is highly debatable!). Problem is we're hoping to spend well under $100k including toad and towing package (is this a dream?).

It seems that diesels cost way more, up to $30k more, for otherwise equivalent models. This seems to push them out of our price range.

Is the extra $$ worth it? Are they that much better? Diesel owners seem to love their diesels, so would I if I had one, I suppose.
ewolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Your question has been asked and answered many times on this forum. There are dozens of pages of opinions on this and it mostly comes down to "what is your budget and what are your needs." There are many folks who would not give a dime extra for a diesel and many others who would not have anything but a diesel regardless of cost. I suggest you do a search for other threads on IRV2 that discuss this topic in depth.

One thing you might not realize is that you are unlikely to find a Class A diesel in the age range you mentioned below 39 feet. The only smaller diesels that I know of are much older ones, or Class B's on the Sprinter Chassis. I cannot think of a 28'-34' Class A in a diesel, they all seem to be gas models in that size. If there is such an animal in a diesel, there weren't many of them produced so they will be hard to find. One exception is the 33 foot Newmar NewAire, but that was only made starting last year and will be way more expensive than your stated price range.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:43 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewolin View Post
We're looking to purchase a used RV in the coming year, 28'-34' Class A, probably 2013 or newer. We expect to be on the road for weeks or a few months at a time. We're looking at the more highly rated brands: Tiffin, Newmar, Winnegago, Monaco, Itasca, and maybe Jayco and Fleetwood (I'm sure this list is highly debatable!). Problem is we're hoping to spend well under $100k including toad and towing package (is this a dream?).

It seems that diesels cost way more, up to $30k more, for otherwise equivalent models. This seems to push them out of our price range.

Is the extra $$ worth it? Are they that much better? Diesel owners seem to love their diesels, so would I if I had one, I suppose.
Ewolin - you'll get many answers here but the real answer is: "it depends" It depends on what's important to you.

- Diesels (those with airbags) provide a smoother and quieter ride when you're driving. Are you planning long trips with lots of long driving days? Or planning to go somewhere near your home and sit for a week in a campsite? Is it important to be able to converse with your co-pilot or to hear the radio when you're pulling a long hill over a mountain range?

- Diesels generally have better build quality, however, the high-end gas Class A's from those manufacturers will be equal to the entry-level diesels from the same companies.

- Diesel will have greater CCC, and larger tanks for fuel, freshwater, and black/gray.

- Gas Class A's are much easier to maintain if you're DIY, and are much less expensive to maintain if you use an RV shop.

- The cost of running will be roughly the same, since although diesel theoretically gets better mileage, most diesel coaches are heavier than most gas coaches of the same length which eats up the difference.

- In that length range and age range there are generally only entry-level Diesel coaches available, whereas there is a full range of gas Class A's.

Yes, I think your target price may be unreasonable for a diesel but may be doable for a gas coach plus toad plus towing package if you're OK buying a used basic toad. Older you go in either the less expensive.

Good luck shopping and welcome to the RV lifestyle!
Old 05-24-2018, 12:44 PM   #4

We have a 35' diesel National Tradewinds motorcoach and are very happy with it despite its age (2002). Our initial purchase was $60,000 and it only had 32,000 miles on it. We have driven both gas and diesel coaches, and we find gas much noisier (engine is up front) and not as nice of a ride (diesel has air suspension). Diesel is normally less expensive to run and my mechanic says its longevity is much better than gas. Depending on where you live, you may need to get an air brake ticket....should get one anyway even if not required in your area in my view.
LA Dueck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:49 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
One thing you might not realize is that you are unlikely to find a Class A diesel in the age range you mentioned below 39 feet. The only smaller diesels that I know of are much older ones, or Class B's on the Sprinter Chassis. I cannot think of a 28'-34' Class A in a diesel, they all seem to be gas models in that size. If there is such an animal in a diesel, there weren't many of them produced so they will be hard to find. One exception is the 33 foot Newmar NewAire, but that was only made starting last year and will be way more expensive than your stated price range.
Just on this point, in addition to the New Aire, Newmar has made the Ventana (and the cheaper Ventana LE) in a 34' length and in multiple floorplans for at least six years - we just bought the coach in my signature to replace our 34' Gas Monaco. We like that length to get into California SP campground. Tiffin has had a 34' RED model for a while, plus the Breeze in 30' and 32' floorplans. Thor has a range of 34' Diesel Class A's, pretty sure Fleetwood does but not familiar with their lines (didn't consider Thor or Fleetwood in our search). Winnebago has a 34' Diesel in the Forza line. All of these mentioned are entry level quality in their respective diesel lines.

For all of these I'm assuming the OP is talking about traditional Class A's with a basement, not the compact Class A's on Sprinter chassis like the Winnebago Via.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:11 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
No reason to go diesel for a rig that short other than a better ride/handling, less noise, and more CCC.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:51 PM   #7

If you like the 200.00 plus oil change and all the cost for the fuel filters and additional water separator and paying for the extra cost of the fuel and the air ride is wonderful until it’s time to repair just saying good luck
lrsses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We can and have debated this many times before. You need to do your research and decide for yourself.

The bottom line: Yes, they are worth it. It really helps if you can perform the maintenance yourself.
It will be extremely difficult to find a 2013 or newer diesel motorhome for under $100k. If you decide to go that direction (and I would highly encourage you to do so), lower the year model to fit your price range.

Look for a 2002-2008 diesel model with a side radiator from a quality manufacturer. Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:00 PM   #9

From your post, it sounds like you do not have a MH now, nor do you have any experience traveling and living in one. Without that experience, it's a pretty big leap to buying one and a toad, and then living in it for months at a time. What has motivated you to make such a major move without first doing the shorter weekend camping trips to confirm that lifestyle is for you? A gas model would work fine with less investment and a later model along with lower cost of operation. I prefer a DP and think they are worth the increased expense, but just starting out, a gas might be more practical.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:42 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ewolin;

When we did our last upgrade (30 to 35 ft with slide) we started our search looking specifically at DPs. We looked at DPs specifically for the coach build quality. i.e. top quality materials and workmanship.

After several months of looking, we discovered we could get the same high quality build in a gasser, we just needed to know specifically what models to look at.

To us this was a game changer. The higher acquisition, operation, and maintenance costs of the DP were not worth what I would gain in ride and handling.

As others have mentioned, when you start getting below about 36-37 ft, these arn't generally available in diesel. Also as you start getting above 37-38, you'll find the gas version are rare and non-existant.

Good luck in your search..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Look for a 2002-2008 diesel model with a side radiator from a quality manufacturer. Best of luck!
+1 Agree!
Old 05-24-2018, 08:21 PM   #12

Winnebago Journey also came in 34' and 36' Diesel models along with the 39 footers.

I have had two diesel and two gas Class A motorhomes. I prefer the diesel for all the reasons others have already mentioned. But it's also true that they are more costly up front and maintenance is more costly. Oil changes are in gallons, not quarts, the air filter on mine is $100. There is an air system to maintain. Tires are usually larger and more expensive when it comes time to change them.

But the cost is worth it to me for the smoother and more comfortable ride. Only hearing the slight rumble of the diesel way in the back vs a roaring gas engine with it's heat right next to me. And not only is it nice to have the engine in the back while driving, it's equally nice to have the generator up front if you're boondocking and have the gen on at night to run the AC, instead of the usual location of the gen in a gasser in the back where the bedroom is. Passing on a two-lane is generally better with more get up and go in the diesel. High altitude does not affect a diesel's power like a gasser.

I think you'll be really stretching it to get a 2013 DP Motorhome, a Toad and all the towing equipment for $100K. Now, go a little older than 2013 and I think it can certainly be done. That's another nice thing with a diesel...if well cared for, higher miles are not a problem on an engine and transmission built to really go the distance.

Test drive some and see what you think. A gas coach would do just fine for you as well, especially a better quality model.

Good luck!
Old 05-24-2018, 08:27 PM   #13

Diesel advice

Thanks for all the info, it's got me thinking things over again.

We've done tons of car camping over a number of decades, and plenty of backcountry camping as well (this summer we fly to the Canadian Rockies for lots of hiking and backcountry camping). Years ago we spent 24 nights out of 28 in national and state parks in tents with our kids.

But as we reach retirement age it's clear our backs can no longer take multiple weeks on air mattresses on the floor of a tent, I guess we're just getting soft (although we still have lots of plans for backpacking, including multi-hundred miles on the PCT in Washington State next summer and maybe the same on the AT in Virginia this fall).

To us having an RV in a state or national park would be like the ultimate luxury compared to our usual (sometimes leaky) tent and rain tarp over the picnic table. Indeed even the 28 footers seem amazingly large and luxurious.

Clearly it's all about what you are used to.
ewolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:35 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I feel it's mostly about how you will be using it. If you're going to use it a few times a year the gas models will do what you what them to do. However, if you're talking about extended travel and long trips the diesel will give you comfort you'll want.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel