Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #15
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Full all the time while sitting. Keeps condensation and rusting of inside of tank down. Never know when you need it in an emergency or as additional sleeping spaces. If storing for 6 months or more than a stabilizer will be added to the tank.
I agree - keep it FULL. Keeps moisture out, and as stated, you might need the gas if there is an emergency. We're full-timers, and I usually don't even park overnight with less than half a tank.

Regarding stabilizer - you might want to consider adding stabilizer if storing more than 3 months rather than 6. Make sure you run the generator to draw stabilized gas into the fuel lines and carburetor for that as well.

Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #16

I fill ours up right before I take it to storage. I do this for several reasons. It's cuts down on condensation issues. I helps me bug out in a hurry if I feel like going somewhere. It leaves me with a viable emergency option. In the winter when the MH might sit for a couple of months I also add a few cans of Seafoam to the gas. That helps keep the fuel system clean and healthy and the generator loves it.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
IfinityJim, I am sorry but I am going to have to totally disagree with you on that post. I have never found water in my fuel and my water detector has never gone off and I have never used an additive.

Agreed. Have had diesels for years. Never a water problem, don't use additives. Oh yeah; no gas in the tank either...
Old 06-27-2011, 04:25 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Full all the time while sitting. Keeps condensation and rusting of inside of tank down. Never know when you need it in an emergency or as additional sleeping spaces. If storing for 6 months or more than a stabilizer will be added to the tank.
X2 for me. Very true on it keeping down on condensation. and since the air is what will spoil fuel the more full the tank the least stabilizers are needed. My truck was filled last year. it has only been driven 30? miles or so since then.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #19

Never Never leave your tank only 1/4 full; fill it till it overflows; mosture loves a partial filled tank.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:29 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Always full.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:38 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I always keep my tank full. Mostly to keep down condensation. But also because alcohol is corrosive and gas has petroleum in it, so i like to keep as much covered as possible. We don't get to go off as often as would like and i do feel the gas gets old, because i check the fuel mileage at each fill up. The first tank on each trip is always a little lower than the rest. However, we have let the motorhome sit as much as a year and not had a driveability problem.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:32 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
IfinityJim, I am sorry but I am going to have to totally disagree with you on that post. That heat in the tank is not from the diesel fuel being returned to the tank. They don't return more fuel than they use. My diesel fuel pump is actually my injectors. I have no extra external pump and I use just what I need with very little returned. The reason you have a water/fuel separator on a diesel is because if you do get water in the fuel it will damage your injectors because water will not lubricate the injectors and the high temperatures of the injector tips will change that water to steam and can blow the tips off the injectors. I have never found water in my fuel and my water detector has never gone off and I have never used an additive.
Mike C
Have to dissagree with on the no return issue. Dodge Cummins school told us that they returned 70% of the fuel supplied to the high pressure pump to the tank; temp and lube. Now I havent had enough fuel system experence on other diesels, including my own, ( new to meF/L, Cat ) to say if all or any, MH systems are that way.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:50 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I can tell you it is not that way on my motor and I can tell you is not that way on the big Cummins motors. My injectors are my fuel pumps and the are operated by a camshaft that compresses them to make the high pressure fuel charge then they are elctonically fired at the right high pressure moment. I have no external fuel pump. Maybe your classes where on on the early Cummins motors or the smaller ones. Regardless I have no water in my fuel and never have and I have both a clear bowl to look at and a water detection system. The only way i can get water in my system is bad fuel coming in or leaving it empty in this hot a humid Georgia
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Last stop on any trip we take is the gas station. Like to keep topped off so that's not my first stop on the next trip.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:47 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
We run through the fuel stop at the end of every trip and top off. Then wash. Then store. We use it a lot and old fuel not an issue. Leaving quick when a tropical storm comes by, that's an issue.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:55 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
I agree - keep it FULL. Keeps moisture out, and as stated, you might need the gas if there is an emergency. We're full-timers, and I usually don't even park overnight with less than half a tank.

Regarding stabilizer - you might want to consider adding stabilizer if storing more than 3 months rather than 6. Make sure you run the generator to draw stabilized gas into the fuel lines and carburetor for that as well.
Agree. Gas or diesel keep it full. add additive if storing for more than 3 months. Just common sense.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gas and propane always 100% full. After 4 hurraines in 2004 (we live in Florida) we lived for 5 days in our coach. Lost electric for that long and would not have been able to get gas or propane. Our coach is our second home, always ready 100%.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:28 PM   #28

Full, ready to go. I love it when the price of fuel goes up. not so happy when it goes down.

Tags
gas, tank