Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2011, 08:49 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Full all the time while sitting. Keeps condensation and rusting of inside of tank down. Never know when you need it in an emergency or as additional sleeping spaces. If storing for 6 months or more than a stabilizer will be added to the tank.
I agree. You never know when you might need to use it.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2011, 08:59 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by badge2283 View Post
Full, ready to go. I love it when the price of fuel goes up. not so happy when it goes down.
I hear that !

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Campingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #31

We use ours enough that 'stale' is not an isssue so I prefer to keep it full. If there's an earthquake and the area loses power that means you won't be able to pump more gas. Not that I'd need 60 or 70 hours of generator...but hey, it can't hurt. Same reason I keep the water tank full as well.

Steve
Old 06-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
We use ours enough that 'stale' is not an isssue so I prefer to keep it full. If there's an earthquake and the area loses power that means you won't be able to pump more gas. Not that I'd need 60 or 70 hours of generator...but hey, it can't hurt. Same reason I keep the water tank full as well.

Steve
Like Steve, always full. Had 2 long term power outages in the last 4 years and we used the generator to run the house fridge and the freezer. We are in the heart of earthquake country so we have the MH ready to go if necessary.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #33

I keep it full, fill it up when i return, keep down the condensation.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teachrz View Post
I try to keep my fuel level low between trips and fill with fresh gas before I leave. Last night, a limb brought a power line down in our neighborhood so I went out to start the generator and, of course, the tank was only 1/4 full - not enough to run the genny. What are you thoughts on file levels between trips?
You are doing yourself a disservice by keeping the tank empty. Keep it full when storing. It will keep the condensation down, keep the tank from rusting AND you'll be ready for that emergency if need be.

Add a stabilizer if storing for more than a couple of months.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:21 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I keep mine full. In addition to the moisture issues I see our motorhome as a part of our emergency plan. It wouldn't be nearly as useful without full fuel and water. About the only downside I see is that I'm storing $300 - $400 worth of fuel at a storage lot where it could be stolen. Fortunately that hasn't happened (knock on wood).
cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 04:27 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikron
Gas and propane always 100% full. After 4 hurraines in 2004 (we live in Florida) we lived for 5 days in our coach. Lost electric for that long and would not have been able to get gas or propane. Our coach is our second home, always ready 100%.
Good point about the propane.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:44 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ours is topped off before going into storage. I don't like the chance of any extra condesation forming in the tank.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #38

Ok agree or dis-agree. But try 2 things, first just for fun, pull the return line out of your fuel tank, put it in a fuel container and start the engine. I've personally done this on many coaches for other reasons and EVERY one returns a lot of fuel. Seems to me the last one filled up a 5 gallon jug in just a short amount of time. A coach with a Mercedes engine (new coach) that was in the shop for service lost prime, fought that b***h for the better part of the day. Had the special quick connect fuel fitting and the pressure tank, just couldn't get it to build pressure enough to prime. Every time you would try to, you could hear the fuel coming into the tank, so logic was that it was thru the motor and then getting back to the tank. Oh that's right can't use logic it's a MERCEDES....turned out on the bottom of the fuel filter housing was a large fitting with a hose back to the tank? Plugged that and wamo the motor took prime and fired right up. Talked to our Mercedes expert and the fuel pump on that motor is turned so far up that it returns over 80% and with that return line capped, it could and probably would hurt the pump.

Oh and the 2nd… pull a fuel sample and send it into a lab. You will have water, how much, well that depends. Maybe not, maybe you’re the lucky one, but just because you don’t see it in your fuel water separator bowl and never have, doesn’t mean you don’t have water in the fuel.

We coach owners are lucky, are fuel tanks are small compared to marine applications, so why not learn from those guys.

Fuel has changed over the last few years for emissions; it meets specs for 2007 and newer engines. So if your motor is older then that you need to be doing something.

Hey, I’m just glad I don’t have to run D.E.F. (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) like the latest engines coming out from most of the manufactures.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Diesel fuel floats on top of water and will not mix. Put some diesel fuel in a bottle and add water and shake it and let it settle and see that it will not mix. Because of this you can run diesel tanks open to the sea on the bottom which we do on Navy ships and on diesel powered submarines so we don't change ballast when the fuel is used. I sure don't understand your statement on that I have water in my fuel. I have helped test enough diesel fuel and Jet fuel JP-4 and JP-5 in my 26 years flying in the Navy to know that they do not mix. We take samples before each flight and look at it. On my MH my fuel pickup in the 150 gallon tank is in a small sump in the bottom which is designed to collect water and pass it to my water/fuel separator so it can be filtered out. If I had any water in my fuel tank it would have settled in the bottom of my clear plastic bowl of my Racor water/fuel separator and I would see it as a blob in the bottom. If I had enough it would set off my in-the bowl detector. Plus I use only Racor Aquabloc II fuel filters in my separator which will not pass water.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Diesel fuel floats on top of water and will not mix.
Agree, water settles to the bottom of all fuel.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:20 AM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After Ivan in '04 we were without power for 17 days. We bought the coach in 6/'06. Diesel is kept full. Propane will run as low as 50% before refilled - unless it's hurricane season, like now, then it's maintained at the full level. Hurricane in the Gulf - we're gone.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:16 PM   #42

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My tank is always full,,, Never know when you may have to leave in a hurry!
I only wish that we could lose the worthless ETHANOL!

RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank