Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #43

With a 300 gallon fuel tank, I like to keep it full and treated. Also, having a full tank at the start of a trip helps to begin the trip without a large expense. Of course, it will even out on the return.

Glenn

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2011, 11:07 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
I always keep mine, full of Fuel, Water Propane, and food.
Most of the time my trips are planned in a few minutes, so I need to be ready to leave last minute, because I have a job still.
As for the stale fuel thing.
They guys at Arizona Speed and Marine once told me that fuel goes bad in as little as three weeks. I think he was speaking of racing fuel, but whatever.
It might get a little stale after a while, I told him, but hey just in case, send me all that stale fuel you generate.
I just recently drained the fuel from a car that was sitting for five years, and not run. I kept that fuel, it does stink, but it still burns. works great for the yard golf cart, mix it in with a little fresh and it runs fine. hehe
All my toys, lawn stuff, boats, M/H cars whatever burns gasoline, I do not use any stabilizers, or treatments, Fuel in them is topped up and they sit in the off season with full tanks. Never had any starting problems, or performance issues at all, The only one I ever had trouble with was my old Motorcycle, but that used to sit for years at a time, and the carbs would get all sticky inside, and start to leak on the ground till the tank was empty. I was forever removing and cleaning the carbs, taking it up to the station and fill it up and then, yup, it sat again never ridden, till I finally sold it. Funny how time just slips away, then sneaks up on you.
Oh and by the way, I was reading the other posts before. The new fuel systems, on cars and trucks, and yes, motorhomes, do not return fuel to the tank anymore. That practice was found to heat up the fuel in the tank more, and thus create a vapor recovery problem with gas fuel and I don't remember what exactly the result was for diesel, but either way, the added heat was creating emission and other problem, so the systems are now returnless, thanks to our friends at the EPA. Powerstroke equiped trucks starting with the '99's are dead end fuel systems. The so called excess fuel is returned only to the filter housing, not the tank. The new cars and gas and diesel trucks, are dead end systems, with the pressure regultor now in the tank, the excess never leaves the tank. Just a little FYI. I have not kept up with design changes on Heavy duty diesel, so you guys with the 8-14 litre diesel pushers, (yes that includes the Series 60 Detroit's, don't jump on me just yet, I don't have info on them yet. I used to own a 2000 Freightshaker, with the Detroit Series 60, but I don't recall ever looking at the fuel system that closely.
Kerry

Old 07-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Full all the time while sitting. Keeps condensation and rusting of inside of tank down. Never know when you need it in an emergency or as additional sleeping spaces. If storing for 6 months or more than a stabilizer will be added to the tank.
This is an old wives tale that just isnt true. An empty tank does not cause these problems..
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #46

I keep the fuel, fresh water, and propane filled especially during huricane season. Like others have mentioned, severe storms have knocked out power and always nice here in the Houston area to be able to start up the air conditioner! When we head out for camping on weekends, I drain the water to 1/3 then fill it to the top prior to storing the unit until the next trip.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #47
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I hope NONE!!
Diesels don't like gas at all.
With a few Liters of Gas in the Diesel Tank it will and run a lot better in WINTER.

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #48

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We keep ours at about 3/4 full when stored in-between trips which are about every 2-3 weeks.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
This is an old wives tale that just isnt true. An empty tank does not cause these problems..
It is very true, that's why pilots drain the fuel tanks, gets rid of the accumulated moisture.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:57 PM   #50

Never enough.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Donandmax, I think you are 100% correct in that an empty tank does not cause a condenstation problem. There has to be some amount of liquid in the tank that is slower to change temperature than the skin of the tank and that is what causes the condensation. Thanks for making that point.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:18 AM   #52

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
My mother in law had a 68 chevy. She only drove it on saturday to buy groceries. a mile from her house. She gassed it up about every three months. it had a hole rust thru the low point in the tank.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:05 AM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Re the condensation question...how empty is empty? If it is 100% empty, that's one thing, however, our tanks are not really 'empty' there will always be some fuel in them unless they are drained.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:20 AM   #54

Metal tanks produce condensate... plastic tanks do not.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 07-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #55

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Right now I'm sucking fumes but it is much better to keep the tank full, Here is why.

As the tank gets warmer and colder (normal day/night temp variations) it sucks in air, how much air depends on how much fuel is in the tank, Clearly if an 80 gallon tank as 10 gallons in it the most air it can suck is 70 gallons,

Well if the incoming air is MOIST during the day, and at night it cools, then inside the tank it may well start to rain on your fuel supply.. And water.. Don't burn well.

Now if you have say 65 gallons in the tank.. That's a lot less air to rain on your fuel.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:19 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Paul, it make no difference if it is a metal tank or a plastic tank they all change temperature and can get condensation. Getting condensation in a not full tank is the same principle that is used in making a solar still to collect water out of the air and you do that with a plastic sheet.

Solar still - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank