Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Paul, it make no difference if it is a metal tank or a plastic tank they all change temperature and can get condensation. Getting condensation in a not full tank is the same principle that is used in making a solar still to collect water out of the air and you do that with a plastic sheet.

Solar still - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Condensate is a function of the delta transmission of cold through a material to the hot side. Metal is surely a better conductor of temperature then plastic and while I agree that condensate still occurs, it is drastically reduced by slowing the transmission of temperature. Fuel tanks are made of 200- 300 thousands material not a 4 mil sheet like in a solar still. I stand by my original statement.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 03:35 PM   #58

So if that was correct you would never get condensation on the outside of a plastic cold drink glass. I agree that it would be less but it is still going to occur in a humid environment. Do they make diesel tanks in Class A's out of plastic?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:54 AM   #59

I always top off the tank if I am not going to use the MH for a week or more.

This is a carry-over habit from my plane. I always filled the tanks after landing. You would be surprised how much water you get from a belly drain of the fuel line if you do not fill the tanks.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #60
SRT

Monaco Owners Club
Always fill the tank before the MH is stored between trips. Before winter storage put Sta-Bil in the tank and run the generator for a while so the carb has protection.
SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
My experiances ,are .. Years ago we would come home park the coach . When we were ready to leave the last thing we done was fill the fuel tank. I thought AHH fresh gas. Well friends The problems we had were untold. Rust forms in the tank The fuel system is not ment to work with rust. Which comes from water and metal, Inside the tank.. It took us years to learn to keep the fuel tank full;; Now we get back from the trip Fill the fuel tanks (over 130 gallons) Dump the tanks, Wash the coach Repair any thing that went wrong, Check all levals; Put it in the gerauge; Now when we take it out I don't get hit with that terrable fuel bill to start our trip off in a bad way; We all have tryed to start our Genset with less then 1/2 tank and could'nt get it to run... Hummmm.. The pickup pionts are different for the genset;; Keep the tank Full; OH I have had gas in a sealed tank for over 3 months and it worked just fine. So that excuse is out the window.; This is only my experiance..And does not apply to everyone.It works for me.. Life is good.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #62

Always full while sitting.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #63

I always keep mine full. Last stop before pulling into the driveway. We are out almost every month and a couple of years ago we had a Ice Storm here in Kentucky and the motorhome was our only source of elect and heat for a couple of weeks. Roads were really bad for extended period and if I hadn't had a full tank we would have been suffering like alot of our neighbors, which come and visit quite abit during that time. Also every notice how the price of fuel goes up whenever you want to go anyplace?
melving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #64

For us it depends where we are on the monthly budget! We have a native tribal gas station on the ouskirts of town and it's usually a nickel cheaper than anyone else (often including Costco).

If we're planning another trip fairly soon, we'll wait until departure to fill up. If the rig is going to sit a while and we have the ready funds, we'll stop and fill up as we get to town. Third option is to go into town once funding is back up and fill up at Safeway.

BTW, I had heard a story from a race car owner that stabilizers are not very good with high ethanol fuels. Not too bad with E10, but can cause separation of gasolne and ethanol after a few weeks with higher E fuels.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #65

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
Full !!! I run the genny for hours during the summer for air conditioning when I'm working on little things inside. Looking at my weather gauge it says it's gotten to 102 inside so far this summer and we haven't hit the hot part yet!!!

ps it is in covered storage
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:04 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
My experiances ,are .. Years ago we would come home park the coach . When we were ready to leave the last thing we done was fill the fuel tank. I thought AHH fresh gas. Well friends The problems we had were untold. Rust forms in the tank The fuel system is not ment to work with rust. Which comes from water and metal, Inside the tank.. It took us years to learn to keep the fuel tank full;; Now we get back from the trip Fill the fuel tanks (over 130 gallons) Dump the tanks, Wash the coach Repair any thing that went wrong, Check all levals; Put it in the gerauge; Now when we take it out I don't get hit with that terrable fuel bill to start our trip off in a bad way; We all have tryed to start our Genset with less then 1/2 tank and could'nt get it to run... Hummmm.. The pickup pionts are different for the genset;; Keep the tank Full; OH I have had gas in a sealed tank for over 3 months and it worked just fine. So that excuse is out the window.; This is only my experiance..And does not apply to everyone.It works for me.. Life is good.
I may have misunderstood you (not trying to be smart ass) but did you say you fill the tank then dump it. 130 Gal. ? I cant believe that. Thats an expensive dump. Oh sorry I misread I think you meant dump the grey and blackwater tanks. My Bad
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
OK you all won me over I went right out and filled the tank will keep it that way..
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank