Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2011, 10:50 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
How much gas is in your tank?

I try to keep my fuel level low between trips and fill with fresh gas before I leave. Last night, a limb brought a power line down in our neighborhood so I went out to start the generator and, of course, the tank was only 1/4 full - not enough to run the genny. What are you thoughts on fuel levels between trips?
Teachrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Lightbulb Fuel amount ?

We like to keep it FULL, but sometimes we leave it around 1/2 when we'll go within 2 weeks for another trip. We just don't like OLD fuel in the tank.

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Full all the time while sitting. Keeps condensation and rusting of inside of tank down. Never know when you need it in an emergency or as additional sleeping spaces. If storing for 6 months or more than a stabilizer will be added to the tank.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I keep it low, when we come back from a trip, I don't refuel until a few days before we leave again. We go often enough that the time spent sitting is not long enough a for condensation problem.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #5

Thumbs up

I agree with George Z, you never know when you might need it in a hurry.
Wrangler338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Z View Post
Full all the time while setting. Keeps condensation and rusting of inside of tank down. Never know when you need it in an emergency or as additional sleeping spaces. If storing for 6 months or more than a stabilizer will be added to the tank.
Ditto.

The last thing I do before parking it is fill the gas tank.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
It's kept full at all times when we're home. We use it a lot, so I don't really worry about old gas. During the times when we're home for a month or two, I take it for a ride as well as exercising the gen set.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:55 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Fuel level

We like to keep ours as full as possible so that when the mood strikesus we can hit the road. Also, the wife likes to think of the rig as an emergency escape vehicle, so when the big one hits we will have an escape...if there are any roads left.
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #9

We keep ours full in between trips . When stored for winter (four months) I add fuel stabilizer, run the generator and engine for a while and put it to bed.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #10

Tim, you are down in Ms with tons of humidity and temperature changes. You are going to have condensation in your tank if you leave it empty. That is a know fact. The only saving grace is that you are not a diesel so it is not as bad for you if you get a little water in it but it is still bad. What is really bad is that ethanol and gasoline mix that we have today goes stale real fast. 60-90 days that gas is going stale and you can smell it when it does. If you are going to park it with a full tank of gasoline which you should then you need a stabilizer in it.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #11

Diesel coaches are important to keep the fuel level up. Diesel engines return more fuel to the tank then it uses. Some / Most use the fuel for cooling components such as electronics. Feel your tank after running down the highway for the day… So when the fuel is warm and it cools down it pulls moisture in, the more surface available (from the top of the fuel to the top of the tank) the more condensation and water in the fuel. Now every diesel will have water in the fuel, so you better be running an additive, such as Ten35, ( http://www.ilfcinc.com/Product/1035.asp ) or Stanadyne (http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=45 ).
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:16 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
How much gas is in your tank?
I hope NONE!!
Diesels don't like gas at all.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityJim View Post
Diesel coaches are important to keep the fuel level up. Diesel engines return more fuel to the tank then it uses. Some / Most use the fuel for cooling components such as electronics.
Many gas units have fuel pumps in the tank. The lower the fuel, the warmer the pump will run and the more effort needed to push the fuel up, shortening the pump life.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 01:22 PM   #14

IfinityJim, I am sorry but I am going to have to totally disagree with you on that post. That heat in the tank is not from the diesel fuel being returned to the tank. They don't return more fuel than they use. My diesel fuel pump is actually my injectors. I have no extra external pump and I use just what I need with very little returned. The reason you have a water/fuel separator on a diesel is because if you do get water in the fuel it will damage your injectors because water will not lubricate the injectors and the high temperatures of the injector tips will change that water to steam and can blow the tips off the injectors. I have never found water in my fuel and my water detector has never gone off and I have never used an additive.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank