Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-04-2014, 07:58 PM   #15
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Interesting and also frightening as most modern cars can stop in half that distance.

Larry & Cheryl Oscar, Louie, Ranger & Henry (our Springers)
2010 Allegro RED 38QBA "Harvey"
2009 Honda Element "Towster"
PushedAround is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2014, 08:02 PM   #16

No calculations required. On the real highway, in a real situation, it is the ditch or pole or berm (et al) that changes the dynamics of a motorhome sliding into getting layed down, but probably not rolling due to the gravity and crunching, skidding, friction thing.

In the real world, too dynamic to predict.

Just sayin.....

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:04 PM   #17
You all need to watch more top gear. The US filmed one challenged Tanner to do a donut in an RV. He did!! Then he did one with a buss. But not with my RV!!
Dave and Laura & two cats
02 Discovery with Accord toad
retired auto rv tech and teacher, wife rt nurse
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #18
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm waiting for the show where they jump a bunch of buses with an RV.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:52 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Thanks for the info so far, and for the cautionary advice, but as we all know you can only do so much if a squirrel cuts into your braking area when you are already stopping with some vigor. Being prepared gives you that much more of a safety margin, and my goal is to know just how much margin I have. In the car, I know if I can stop or if I have to swerve. I want to know the same thing in my MH.
If that squirrel cuts into my braking area, there will be one dead squirrel. No way am I swerving for a squirrel. When I drive down a street with parked cars I just expect some kid to come running out. I drive accordingly. That's being prepared.
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:22 PM   #20
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In 65,000 miles I've had three panic stops. Each time the ABS system came on and the coach handled fine, no pulling to either side. These were all in dry weather.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:03 AM   #21
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Take her out to a wet parking lot and do some doughnuts like we did as kids!

make sure to get it on video for the rest of us... as a instructal video of course
rbpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:26 AM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
Braking well,.......there is only one way to find out. Do you have air brakes? if so they should be able to lock the wheels with ease, as long as the slack adjusters are properly adjusted.
"Lock the wheels with ease"? Isn't that what ABS (anti-skid) prevents? And of course most any MH still on the road has ABS........
Hal & Ginny Miller '04 Beaver Santiam PRT40
'04 Saturn Vue - US Gear Brake - Blue Ox tow
4 "girls" (3 Irish Setters - Retriever)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:53 AM   #23
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
If that squirrel cuts into my braking area, there will be one dead squirrel. No way am I swerving for a squirrel. When I drive down a street with parked cars I just expect some kid to come running out. I drive accordingly. That's being prepared.
Dave that "squirrel" that I refer to is a metaphor for most of the auto drivers out there. If it's an animal, I'll feel really bad for it, but it's getting run over.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #24
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Unless you are kidding, I think that you missed the point here.

I'll give you the example of why I brought this up. This past February we were headed south on our big trip, cruising along at 50 mph in the right lane (55 limit) when a few cars came around the clover leaf to merge. There was traffic to my left so I was stuck in the lane. I started slowing to let the cars merge in front of me. There was plenty of room, provided that they just went. The third car (actually a pickup truck) was moving very slowly and it appeared that they were going to wait until I passed. The other 2 cars merged and were accelerating away. By this time I was probably down to 35~40 and this idiot waited until I was almost upon him to pull over in front of me and basically coast. I had to slow very hard and I hit the horn, showing my displeasure at his boneheaded move. This idiot was obviously offended as now he hit the brakes! I still had enough room to stop, barely, and was quite upset at this moron's thoughtless and dangerous actions. So you can do everything right (except hit the horn I guess) and still be put in a panic stop situation. After calming down, the thought kept going through my head about how much more stopping power I actually had, and was it as close as it seemed to be. This is why I put forth the question.
I think we have all had something like that happen, many times over likely. As you found out, NEVER slow down for those idiots. The only thing I slow down for to let merge are Big Rigs and other RVs. It may sound harsh and self centered but as you found out, it causes confusion with the fools.

That and the law puts the requirement for a merge on the person doing the actual merging.

With ABS and a lot of weight on some pretty decently sized tires, oversteer is unheard of, even on wet pavement. Like you, I am also most concerned with understeer but I have not had that problem yet either. It looks like it is unlikely that a MH will roll so you probably could do the wet parking lot test. I completely understand where you are coming from and wanting to know the limits of your vehicle, especially with your race background. This is such a different vehicle and situation however that I don't think it applies quite the same.

I have locked the Tag axle up in some situations....
1998 Bounder 36s V10 F53
ohhwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #25
Monaco Owners Club
Understeer is the key word.

BTW I would use a horn as a warning agianst what they are thinking of doing, not as a respose to what they have already done. I've found it more effective. Air Horns don't meeep well, three Blasts means danger, stay away.

Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:14 PM   #26

^^Which is why I have installed a train horn.
Mark Anderson - FMCA 351514 - Louisville, KY
2007 Sportscoach Pathfinder 377DS - Freightliner XC
2006 Jeep Commander
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:38 PM   #27
National RV Owners Club
The more I read threads like this, the more a dash cam seems to be in order. But back to the original post.

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't any discussion of the limits of an RV either stopping or rolling over somewhat theoretical? Some issues that I think would vastly change any possible stopping, roll over scenarios.

How good are the tires?
Is the road wet?
What is the temperature?
What is the temperature of the tires?
Are the tires all inflated properly?
What is the road surface, concrete, asphalt, gravel?
Is the road flat, inclined, declined or slanted?
How heavy is the vehicle.?
How fast is it travelling?
How good are the brakes?
How good is the steering?
What is the skill set of the driver?
1999 - National Tropi Cal
sirpurrcival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:35 PM   #28
I agree with a few other posters, that it is so variable based upon actual conditions, and vehicles, that it is not really a 'Here is what you can expect.' answer.

I'm a very experienced (not!) two coach owner. As with all of my vehicles, especially if buying used, i go thru them on both maintenance items and when needed adding aftermarket components - to make them the best handling vehicles that I can.

Sure not trying to do any canyon racing. This is ALL ABOUT SAFETY to me - as you never know when you'll need to make and emergency maneuver.

Our 98 T28 Bounder, on a 99 F53 chassis. Had new tires, Koni FSD's on front and Adjustable SP2 on rear, heavier rear sway bar, rear panhard, urethane bushings, Safety-T-Plus dampener, four corner weight with PSI set accordingly, brake fluid flush with a higher boiling point fluid added. (Much of this was due to previous owner letting a few things go, and were just time wise needed.)

Our current coach, a CC 40' Allure with Tag. Did not need as much work, but added 6 Road Kings, and rear and front Super Steer Motion Control Units, and new tires.

In both rigs, my wife and I go to a safe stretch of open clear road, and practice emergency stops and lane changes. Getting the 'feel' for at least that specific driving condition.

We both also drive for the rig. I drive 'Assertively Defensively', sounds contradictory but it's really not. I always signal what I'm going to do, and then positively do so with action. Like lane changes, especially if I have room to the left to avoid either a parked car/rig/officer or merging person. Even in traffic, if the lane is open I move over, even if it does sometimes tick off the 'left lane speed demons'. Once I signal and I do give at least 5 seconds to register, I move over. If I have more room, I signal longer first. Though if I see the person has not seen I'm intending to move over, I'll move over at a slower pace (if traffic allows), and I find that though they may not see my signal (or ignore it) - the do see the consistently slowly moving over RV.

My wife, IMO, was too timid to start. We'd get caught not just in longer traffic jambs, but would also sometimes require aggressive braking, due to her not 'Assertively' moving over when she had the open lane. Thus my comment that a good Defense, can sometimes be supported by a good Assertive move...

Please don't get me wrong, these are rare exceptions where it is proper, IMO, to be assertive. We really are in no rush, and do 'take it easy' as we drive.

I'll also spin things, and say that if I'm merging to a highway, and see a vehicle far enough back with a clear open lane to their left. I will continue to merge into the right lane even if it means they have to slow down, of change lanes. IMO, too many drivers have no clue of what a big Truck or RV or Truck and Trailer can do as far as coming up to speed on a freeway. Many of the older onramps, especially in cities, are just not long enough to pick up speed to merge at full traffic flow. (Again, to be clear, when I say I can see they have room to move over, it's via camera and mirror views. Usually from a higher view point going down and on ramp. If can't see the full lane beside them is open, I always assume some is in a blind spot. And then do slow way down, or even stop, to avoid making the swerve to avoid me coming on in front of them.)

I also LOL! at the go find a spot and do some doughnuts - as if my Dad ever knew what I did as a teenager in several of his cars, he'd have grounded me for a long, long time!

Have fun, be safe,

Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

class a