Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #1

How much oil do I use?

First post, so be nice.

I have a 2011 Holiday Rambler Neptune with an ISC engine. I changed the oil last week (first time). I did not have an owers manuel at the time so I went to the Cummins web site and downloaded the ISC 360 for motorhomes brochure which stated the engine holds 6.3 gallons of oil. I received an owners manuel from Monaco three days later and the manuel stated the engine holds 19 quarts. I then drained our four quarts. After draining the four quarts, my oil stick shows to be at the add mark. According the owers manuel, the engine should still be over full. What does this thing really hold?
LA RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2011, 04:42 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
My 2002 ISC 350 requires 21 qt ...several service places have over-filled it as they are used to ISCs with a 25 qt pan. I would more likely trust the info from Monaco, although it might be a good idea to do a vin search with the chassis mfg'er to verify exactly how it was configured at build. It is not unheard of to have wrong dipstick in a MH engine, which then shows an incorrect level.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:11 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I buy 6 gallons, replace the filter and put in 5 gallons, start the engine, let it run a minute or so then check the dip stick and add if necessary.
Our ISC likes to run with the oil level half way between the add and full marks, if I fill it further it kicks it out the vent till it gets down some. So I jsut start there, no problems with it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
KIX

Our 350 ISC takes 21 qts. with a filter change.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and

Best of luck getting this all sorted out. You've got a lot of expertise at your fingertips here.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi LA RVer,
Welcome to iRV2. The answer to your question is, it all depends. The size of the oil pan makes a difference. My ISC take 24 quarts, by the Cummins book. However, it is persnickety about the amount of oil it will hold. Changing the oil and filter I add 22 quarts. This puts the oil level at the add mark on the dip stick. If I put any more in, the ISC just blows it out. If Mr. Cummins is happy at the add oil level, so am I.

What does all this mean. Add 20 quarts, run the engine a few minutes and see where you end up on the dip stick. Add oil until you are in the middle of the okay range. See if your engine likes it there. The engine will tell you where the oil level needs to be.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:18 PM   #7

The only way to get it correct is to have your engine serial number in hand and call Cummins Technical Support.

They can tell you the latest recommendation for your engine.

Use the amount they tell you and calibrate the dip-stick. To calibrate add 1 or 2 quarts under the recommended amount and use a file to mark the new Add Oil mark, then finish filling and mark the dip-stick with the new Full mark.

The reasons for following this procedure are: A) The engine manufacturer bases the recommendations for proper oil amount on actual data as the engines are being used. Its not uncommon for the new recommendation to differ from the original manual. B) The chassis builder installs the engine on the chassis. The engine may be installed at an angle different than the angle anticipated/specified by the engine manufacturer. If that is the situation then the dip-stick will not give an accurate reading.

So, you make the phone-call and any diesel shop should be able to calibrate the dip-stick for you.

UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:36 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
For the first oil change of any engine, I note how much old oil came out, and put in that amount of new oil...next change I know how much it will take.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
For the first oil change of any engine, I note how much old oil came out, and put in that amount of new oil...next change I know how much it will take.
That works fine until the engine manufacturer changes the recommendation about how much oil to use.

Personally, I think it would be easier to make the phone call then go through the process of measuring the amount of oil drained.

YMMV,
UltraKen is offline   Reply With Quote