Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #1

How much rust on your propane tank is too much?

I assume the guy who is authorized to fill your propane tank is the person who makes the call. The tank on my 2005 Bounder has got some surface rust along the bottom and in some other areas, and I noticed the tanks go for about $350 plus installation, so I'm getting a bit nervous.

Have you had to have a tank replaced? What sort of state was it in that caused you to have to replace it. What did it cost?

Charlie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 07:33 PM   #2

With just some surface rust I'd take a wire brush to it, wipe it down thoroughly and hit it with some Rustoleum undercoat then a good top coating of a good oil based enamel. Class A tanks are ASME tanks that are very much thicker than the portables. Unless there's a lot of deep pitting, it should be good for a long time.

Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:33 PM   #3

I cleaned and painted mine. I think they are about 1/2 inch thick.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 08:43 PM   #4

Same situation, going to repaint when I have nothing to do well probably this summer..
Old 04-24-2016, 10:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
I cleaned and painted mine. I think they are about 1/2 inch thick.

They are not 1/2" thick. The big tankers that carry propane on the railroad cars are a special alloy and the thickness is only about 3/8". So I think that the small tanks on RV's are probably about the same in thickness.

I would take the advice though of cleaning the rust off with a wire brush and repainting it with a Rustoleum type paint.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:31 AM   #6

Not long ago the admiral wintered in the office at a place which distributes propane within many states. They have a tank "reconditioning" facility on site which takes old tanks (even from scrappers), cleans and paints them and updates with a new stamp.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodyhell View Post
I assume the guy who is authorized to fill your propane tank is the person who makes the call. The tank on my 2005 Bounder has got some surface rust along the bottom and in some other areas, and I noticed the tanks go for about $350 plus installation, so I'm getting a bit nervous.

Have you had to have a tank replaced? What sort of state was it in that caused you to have to replace it. What did it cost?

Charlie
Charlie, if it's just surface rust I wouldn't worry about it. My tank has quite a bit of rust on the surface too but I bought a couple of cans of white krylon spray paint to repaint it after I wire brush the rust off the tank.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:00 PM   #8

Thanks. You guys have calmed me down. Wire brush and spray paint it is!
Old 04-25-2016, 02:11 PM   #9

Are they required to be a certain color? Mine is gold an I've thought about cleaning and painting it, just not gold. I've changed almost everything out in the MH that was gold and want to change the color of the tank as well.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodyhell View Post
Thanks. You guys have calmed me down. Wire brush and spray paint it is!

That's what I did with mine a couple of weeks ago. I did use a Rustoleum primer before top coating with some gloss white Rustoleum. Really looked good when I got finished.

jt
2005 Newmar Kountry Star gas 3742, Workhorse 8.1L w/Allison 5 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:30 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Along with a few others it seems, I am painting my tank over this summer. I too will wire brush it but I am going to use a solution called RUST BLOCK.

https://www.hardwarestore.com/665493...ay-16-oz-rb015

A little pricey but if it will inhibit more rust growth then it is worth it to me. Obviously not everyone is near an Aubuchon Hardware store but this can be found elsewhere I assume. If not then there are other products similar in nature. It was also suggested to me to use an epoxy spray paint.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Along with a few others it seems, I am painting my tank over this summer. I too will wire brush it but I am going to use a solution called RUST BLOCK.

https://www.hardwarestore.com/665493...ay-16-oz-rb015

A little pricey but if it will inhibit more rust growth then it is worth it to me. Obviously not everyone is near an Aubuchon Hardware store but this can be found elsewhere I assume. If not then there are other products similar in nature. It was also suggested to me to use an epoxy spray paint.
A number of these products on the market under various name brands. Naval Jelly is one that was popular a number of years ago. The active ingredient is phosphoric acid and changes the iron oxide (rust) to a stable compound and will seal the surface so it can be painted. All seem to work well, although a bit pricey.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Totally agree on "PRICEY" but this one was less than some that I researched. Just knowing that it will inhibit it for a while gives me some relief. My long range plan is to monitor the paint better than the previous owner did. It certainly won't take long to get the job done but there is a lot of loose paint on it so there will be far more than 10 minutes of work prior to painting it.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, rust, tank