Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2014, 08:16 AM   #1

How much UV damage can be done to tires in seven years?

Everyone agrees that MH tires must be replaced every seven to ten years. I have a Jeep that's a play vehicle, and I have aggressive four wheeling tires on it that have been there more than ten years. They have been fully exposed to the Colorado sun all that time and they show no sign of cracking and weathering. Why should I be concerned about tire covers since I'll be replacing my tires regularly?

Dave.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2014, 08:20 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1194 View Post
Everyone agrees that MH tires must be replaced every seven to ten years.

Dave.
Well I will never have a 7 year old tire on my coach!
Old 03-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #3

I personally do not think you should worry about damage by sun and ozone. Regular exchange of your tires eases you out of that category. The only people that should worry are people like myself who try to wring out every once from our tires. RV Tire Failure 101 - RV UNIVERSITY

We cover them and place tire protectants upon them when we wash the RV
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
The only people that should worry are people like myself who try to wring out every once from our tires.
I understand you completely.I hate taking off a perfectly good set of tires because they have aged out.But in the long run I even more hate changing one by side of road or repairing damaged caused by a blowout.
2Bargos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:38 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Everyone agrees that MH tires must be replaced every seven to ten years. I have a Jeep that's a play vehicle, and I have aggressive four wheeling tires on it that have been there more than ten years. They have been fully exposed to the Colorado sun all that time and they show no sign of cracking and weathering. Why should I be concerned about tire covers since I'll be replacing my tires regularly?.
How much damage from UV is one issue, ozone is another. Both depend some on exposure where it is parked (near a transformer or arch welder is high ozone exposure), AND how often you drive the rig. The Jeep tires probably get exercised more than the RV tires do (though as they are 10yr old, apparently not much more!) which will help them look better longer.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 08:50 AM   #6

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf

read the section on the Goodyear tire cleaning.

This information pertains to GoogYear tires only... I use Roadmaster by Cooper and they are highly affected by weather and sun.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #7

I never use any tire treatment like the kind you spray on and let dry. I just wash them with a brush and wash mit when done with the coach. Just soapy water. We traveled about 6000 miles per year and stored it under our RV port in the summer, but it was out in the sun when we traveled south for the winter. With this treatment after 8 years, there was still no signs of aging. We traded it 2 years ago and as far as I know, they are still fine. I always carried adequate pressure and never over loaded them. Proper tire care is the key to long tire life.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
I personally do not think you should worry about damage by sun and ozone. Regular exchange of your tires eases you out of that category. The only people that should worry are people like myself who try to wring out every once from our tires. RV Tire Failure 101 - RV UNIVERSITY

We cover them and place tire protectants upon them when we wash the RV
Both the MIchelin and Goodyear website have a statement recommending not to put any kind of "treatment" on their tires.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&SL View Post
Well I will never have a 7 year old tire on my coach!
Sorry, your meaning escapes me. Are you saying you replace your tires more often than the seven year interval?
Old 04-01-2014, 07:00 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Sorry, your meaning escapes me. Are you saying you replace your tires more often than the seven year interval?
Dave 1194, No sorry needed, I certainly did not mean any disrespect to you. , I’m not saying I’m right. It is just my choice to change my coach tire around 5 year’s time.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:13 AM   #11

Ray... I kind of stopped reading from the expensive tire web sites.... could not afford those fine tires the last time I replaced my set..and I am sure that I am not going to buy them on my next exchange. Just can not justify that cost....but they do have some endearing comfort for those that have used them. I will use these less than perfect tires...cover them...and rub sun block 50 on them so that Mr Sunshine will not dry them out before my next exchange. My MH does not get the high traffic that you guys place on yours. I have a roaming bicycle locker room... we haul ourselves to parks and bike events...and have the additional comforts that old farts enjoy.