Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2014, 10:21 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99phantoms View Post
What would be the fair market value of renting this RV for about 2 weeks, adding 2000 miles to the 50k odometer?

Well this is for a comparable rental I found online....

Rental Rates Details:

Weekly Rental:
$7500

Reservation Deposit:
Half of the total is due for reservation

Security Deposit:
Minimum $2500.00 (Pets may be an additional charge) *Typically refunded within 10 business days after coach is returned, assuming no damage.

Insurance Fee:
Binder furnished from your insurance company or additional charges will be applied.

Mileage Charge:
$.99 per mile in excess of 100 miles per night rented.

Generator Charge:
5 hours per day free. $3 per hour of use thereafter.

Cleaning Charge:
$295 usual, additional charges may apply if additional cleaning is necessary.

------------------
Grand total for 2 weeks estimated = $15,600

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1409282435.862610.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	72290

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2014, 06:03 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
PS:
His insurance covers HIM, not you. In case of damage to the vehicle there's this thing called subrogation where you, his insurance company and a bunch of lawyers get together and determine that YOU pay for the damage.

H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:03 AM   #17

I think 7k a week is a good estimate. Looked at a similar rental on a lower tier coach for about that amount. I would think that they may be able to get you on supplemental insurance for additional cash. It is a ton of cash to spend the price of a decent used car on a rental, but I was thinking of doing it to see if I would like something like this as much as I think I would.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:44 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
PS:
His insurance covers HIM, not you. In case of damage to the vehicle there's this thing called subrogation where you, his insurance company and a bunch of lawyers get together and determine that YOU pay for the damage.
My insurance covers only the title/owners of the coach. Beware!
Old 08-29-2014, 08:49 AM   #19

So, RV insurance is different than auto insurance?...

because with auto insurance the coverage (liability, comp, collision) follows the car regardless of which driver, as long as the driver is properly licensed & using the vehicle with permission.
Old 08-29-2014, 09:17 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

because with auto insurance the coverage (liability, comp, collision) follows the car regardless of which driver, as long as the driver is properly licensed & using the vehicle with permission.
Yes, RV Full-Time Insurance has different liabilities than auto insurance. However, many weekend and part-time RVer's will only insure their RV's with the minimums which is basically the same as auto insurance.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-29-2014, 01:41 PM   #21

Just got off the phone with Progressive (through USAA).

The renter of an RV cannot buy insurance on that RV. One must have an 'insurable interest' in a vehicle (RV, auto, motorcycle, boat, etc.) to buy insurance on that vehicle... ie, you must be an OWNER.

The insurance agent confirmed what I said earlier - the owner's insurance policy follows the RV... no matter who the (permissive) driver is.

What the RV owner can (and probably should) do is temporarily add any renter to his policy as an 'additional driver'.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #22
RVM#87 / Senior Member

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselTech39 View Post
Just a ponder here: What if something happens to the coach? I don't mean an accident or something that might be covered by his or your insurance. I mean what if the engine dies? What if the transmission dies? What if any other house system dies? There is no realistic way to determine how good any of them are IMO.

Are you then on the hook for the $139,000? Will there be a lawsuit?

I know it sounds alarmist, but in today's world it may be a con. Be VERY CAREFUL!
OK you got the insurance checked out....now what about the above??
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #23

Fair question.

All such contingencies should be part of the rental agreement.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
And ask him to show you around the thing. Maybe you take a boys trip for a weekend somewhere close. I mean heck, if he'll let you take the thing for a week, TAKE IT! There's a fairly steep learning curve - but I jumped off into a 40' bus and 15,000 miles later - all is well.

regardless you need to be familiar with ALL of the "systems" though. Power systems, a/c systems, driving systems, water, sewer, slides, leveling, doors and locks and then some. This might be a great chance for you to learn a thing or eighteen.

When it comes to ACTUAL DRIVING, it drives pretty easy. I would say the single most important thing is to study where you are going BEFORE you get there. With google maps in satellite mode, you can spot potential problems early and avoid them. With an ipad on LTE, you can real time satellite and know exactly what is about to happen.

For driving, google the lazy days driving videos and watch them three time. Just put your front wheel past what you don't want to run over, and understand that cars WILL get in your way at times on curves. Those videos were priceless to me!!!! Do not back up without a spotter who knows how you think, and take it slow at first.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
OH AND

what can go wrong..... will go wrong. Enjoy
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 07:14 AM   #26

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
Quote:

In general, yes insurance follows the vehicle. BUT, the purpose of the insurance is to protect the vehicle OWNER, and indemnify a third party injured by the vehicle. (Injury in this case is the broad definition, including property damage, not just bodily injury.)

So, person "A" owns and insures a vehicle. Person "B" (not related to, and not resident of "A"s household), drives the vehicle with permission of "A" and is involved in an accident for which he is deemed at fault.

The fancy looking lawsuit papers are delivered by the constable to person "A" and person "B". Person "A" because he/she is the vehicle owner, and person "B" because he/she was the driver.

That vehicle insurance will defend person "A" as the owner and "Named Insured" on the policy. However, unless person "B" fits some other definition in the policy as being an "Insured person", the policy has no reason or duty to defend person "B". In the case of non-related individuals who do not reside in the same household, there almost no chance of the vehicle insurance defending person "B".

So yes, the insurance follows the vehicle regardless of who is driving, but that doesn't mean the insurance will defend the driver.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #27

Are you talking liability? or personal injury expenses?
Old 08-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #28

If I were selling my MH and somebody wanted to rent it before pursuing a purchase, I'd charge $1000/day in advance plus $2500 security deposit against repairs or insurance deductible.

Cost of rental would be deducted from purchase price if the person goes through with the sale.

Tags
class a