Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How often do You

How often do you replace the in line filters in your fresh water and or ice maker. Also how often do you bleach the fresh water tank,drain and replace. My DW thinks the filters should last as long as the water filter at home,I am concerned the filters in the MH are subject to harsher conditions.
jimlaurielucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I replace the freshwater filter (whole house) 2 times a year. This is a rather inexpensive filter that can be purchased at Walmart. We are snowbirds and also travel at least two months during the rest of the year. Since the filters for the frig and the under sink are pre-filtered by the whole house filter I only replace once a year or even less. (expensive filters) I flush the tank each season with a cup of bleach if I have winterized it or if the hot water starts to smell a bit. I always follow a bleach flush with a white vinegar flush to get rid of the bleach smell. I never flush the tank with the filters installed. I will remove them and reuse them after the flush. I am not sure why I do that!
Old 06-30-2013, 09:33 AM   #3

I replace the water filter in our MH every year. The old one gets pulled when I winterize it, before putting the MH away for the winter. The next spring, when I take the MH out of storage and flush our the water system, I install a new filter.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:44 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Replace filters yearly. In 12 years I've only bleached the system twice, first when it was new then just a few years ago.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #5

I have a standard S&B whole house filter. Filters changed 4x a year. About 12 bucks for the canister, about $12 bucks/yr for filters.

There is a lot of sediment in some park water, especially in desert areas. No grit in my ice

FW tank is only for the toidy while we travel. I just flush it 1x a month.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:26 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
I replace the water filter in our MH every year. The old one gets pulled when I winterize it, before putting the MH away for the winter. The next spring, when I take the MH out of storage and flush our the water system, I install a new filter.
Pretty much my routine too.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:31 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlaurielucy View Post
How often do you replace the in line filters in your fresh water and or ice maker. Also how often do you bleach the fresh water tank,drain and replace. My DW thinks the filters should last as long as the water filter at home,I am concerned the filters in the MH are subject to harsher conditions.
This is another "it depends" question. Are you a full timer? What harsher conditions are the RV filters subject to? We are "vacationers", so we sanitize our fresh water tank and replace the filter twice a year.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
FW tank is only for the toidy while we travel. I just flush it 1x a month.
O.. rly??
Old 06-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post

O.. rly??
Yep.
Always on full hookup at night.
Color me "spoiled". You know, Mutant.
Extra work is....uh..extra work, right?
Old 06-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post

This is another "it depends" question. Are you a full timer? What harsher conditions are the RV filters subject to? We are "vacationers", so we sanitize our fresh water tank and replace the filter twice a year.

Harsher conditions means MH sits in 90 degree heat all. Summer when no used. We are vacationers as well. This is a 2013 coach and the water filter is a 3 m model a. Dis not see a replacement at Camping World or Walmart. Can I replace with another brand. It is the twist on one.
jimlaurielucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:45 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
As we are vacationers with our coach as well, I've been pondering these questions as well? How many folks drain their fw tank before temporary storage, or do you just leave the water in the tank for next trip?
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymyst View Post
As we are vacationers with our coach as well, I've been pondering these questions as well? How many folks drain their fw tank before temporary storage, or do you just leave the water in the tank for next trip?
We are F/T now, but before that I drained everything. They tend to fester.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:08 PM   #13

Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlaurielucy View Post
OK, I am an EXPERT on this topic!!!! Email Rick at thr RV water filter store. As stated earlier, IT DEPENDS on all the things already stated and what type filters you have and the quality of water you want.

Here is their URL and their email and phone numbers are on their site.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/

I go far overboard in a couple areas: water, fuel, maintenance, and fire safety. BUT that's me and for my money these areas are key.

Cheers;
Leo
thrushl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #14

Our MH came with an Everpure water filtration system for the ice-maker and drinking/coffee-making water. One high-capacity filter cartridge filters/purifies 7,500 G of water. Since we don't use near that amount annually, I remove the filter prior to winterizing (if we stay home all winter) drain the water from the filter, place it in a freezer bag and put it in the deep-freeze until needed again.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote