Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2015, 09:12 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Air them up and spray some soppy water on the valves. Look for bubbles in and around the valves. If leaking in the core, get a tool to snug them up a bit.

If your not comfortable messing with the valves, go to a tire shop for help.

Tires should only loose around 2 pounds per month.
What he said. Whenever I check pressure, using the "spit test" on each valve. Almost every problem that I have had with tires has been a sticking valve. One was a defective valve stem that had to be replaced.
I check pressure once a month and spit test each one before I put the cap on. I rarely need any air.
BTW, I went thru 4 gauges before I got one that was accurate. The others were off by 4-6 pounds. My tires need 120 psi, so that difference is significant.

Cheers,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2015, 09:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
My tires stay within 2 psi all year. Your tires are leaking.
I haven't added air yet this year!
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I check mine 2-3 times a year and typically add 2-3 psi.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:53 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I check mine 2-3 times a year and typically add 2-3 psi.
Yep, same for us.
Smitty
12R 22.5
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:10 PM   #19

After 10 years, I made a mistake last year of using an auto-rated digital gauge that was handy in the garage when checking my RV tires prior to a trip and was dumbfounded, not knowing it had a limit of 80psi.

Thinking the all tires were in need of a whole lot of air I drove a mile to the nearest station. After using my onboard truck gauge that reaches 120psi and checking them again before inflating, I realized that they were where they should be at 95psi, and what had happened.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:13 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
How Often do you Air Up Your 22.5 Tires?

Every time I check my tires they are rock solid at 105 psi. I top them off once a year at most.

Think about it, if you're not chasing the temperature change, where would the air go? Good tires and valves don't leak.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:14 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Tires should only loose around 2 pounds per month.

Where did that come from?

Mine don't.

Cheers!
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:34 PM   #22

Thanks everyone - this is a Brand new coach and just a bit surprised I'd have leaky valve stems all the way around. One or two tires, sure, but all of them? I'll try the spit test when I go and air up tomorrow and keep an eye on the pressures.

I have no problems with snugging up a couple valve stems so we'll see what comes of it.
Old 08-21-2015, 11:50 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
Ditto, you should not be losing ANY air in these new tires/wheels. And you have a warranty from Newmar, so get them to pay for any tire service/stem replacement you need. Unless you can tighten up the stems/valves yourself.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:53 AM   #24

• I was off by a pound.

Tire Pressure

How to Check Tire Pressure.

Tires have been known to lose up to 1psi (pounds per square inch) every month, so check all tires, including your spare, once a month (or before a long trip). It’s easy. Here’s how:
  1. Purchase a trusted tire pressure gauge.
  2. Check your tires “cold” – before you’ve driven or at least three hours after you’ve driven.
  3. Insert tire pressure gauge into the valve stem on your tire. (If you are using a digital tire gauge like the one pictured, the gauge should begin reading the air pressure immediately. Refer to your air pressure gauge owners manual for correct usage instructions. If using a "pencil" style tire gauge, the gauge will “pop” out and show a measured number. When you hear a “pssst” sound, that’s air escaping the tire. The escaping air shouldn’t affect pressure substantially, unless you hold down the air pressure gauge too long.)
  4. Compare the measured psi to the psi found on the sticker inside the driver’s door of your vehicle or in owner’s manual. DO NOT compare to the psi on your tire’s sidewall.
  5. If your psi is above the number, let air out until it matches. If below, add air (or have a Michelin retailer help you) until it reaches the proper number.
Low pressure can lead to tire damage. See the inflation difference:
Car & Pickup Tires
3/4 & 1 Ton Trucks
Nitrogen Versus Compressed Air

Most tires are filled with compressed air. But some tire retailers have started to put nitrogen into their customers’ tires. (Nitrogen is simply dry air with the oxygen removed. Air contains nearly 79% nitrogen already.) Because nitrogen replaces oxygen, less air can escape your tires, and your inflation pressure stays higher longer. Unfortunately, there are other possible sources of leaks (tire/rim interface, valve, valve/rim interface and the wheel), which prevent the guarantee of pressure maintenance for individuals using air or nitrogen inflation.
Nitrogen and compressed air CAN be mixed, if needed. Tires manufactured by Michelin are designed to deliver their expected performance when inflated with air or nitrogen, as long as the user respects the pressures recommended by the vehicle manufacturer on the vehicle’s placard or by the tire manufacturer.

866-6605
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:12 AM   #25

From Firestone Tire:

Check Air Pressure Regularly Most people forget about their tires until something goes wrong. The truth is, tires lose pressure daily. In cool weather, a tire will typically lose one or two pounds of air per month. In warm weather, tires lose even more air. That’s why it’s recommended that you check air pressure every other time you stop to fill up your gas tank. Keep in mind that many vehicles have different tire pressures on the front and rear axle. And don't forget to check the pressure in your spare tire. - See more at: Tire Pressure | Firestone Complete Auto Care
Old 08-22-2015, 04:23 AM   #26

And Goodyear;

Maintaining correct tire pressure

Tire pressure can impact your car’s handling, turning, braking and fuel efficiency. A tire at the wrong pressure level will wear out faster and might put your safety at risk.
Check your tire pressure regularly

Even in ideal conditions, tires lose pressure at a rate of about 0.69 bar or 1 pound per square inch (psi) per month. That rate increases as temperatures rise. Check tire pressure at least once every month and have a good look at the treads while you’re at it. You’ll find the recommended pressure in your vehicle owner’s manual or on the sidewall of your tire.

How to check your pressure

1. Buy a pressure gauge or use one at your local garage.
  2. Check first thing in the morning or whenever your tires are cool. They heat up as you drive, which can affect your reading.
  3. Unscrew the valve on the tire and place the gauge over the valve. A brief hissing sound is normal.
  4. Read the pressure on the gauge and compare it with your tire’s recommended bar or psi. Mention bar first.
  5. Adjust your pressure with a home compressor, or fill the tires at a local garage.
  6. Re-check your pressure with the gauge and check against the manufacturer’s specifications.
  7. Replace the valve caps on each tire.
Be sure to check each tire. If the drop in pressure is excessive, it’s time to ask your garage for help.
You might have a slow leak caused by ill-fitting rims or a faulty valve.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:00 AM   #27

<< print this page >> ask the DOCTORExperience and the laws of thermodynamics both say Air doesn’t leak into tires, any more than water flows uphill.

If anything, air only leaks out of tires. And that’s why it’s worthwhile to revisit some information on load and inflation tables, and consider what they are really telling us.

As we’ll see, choosing the optimum inflation pressure for your tires involves more than just looking at a chart.
Why do brand-new tires lose air pressure?
Air molecules are very small. And rubber, though it looks very solid, is, at the microscopic level, a sort of tangled, fishnet-like mass of long, stringy molecules.

Over time, air molecules can make their way through the maze of molecular chains and escape to the outside world. Basically, they go right through the sidewalls.
Truck tires can lose up to 2 psi per month of inflation pressure as a result of air molecules diffusing through sidewalls.Can’t you make tires that seal better?
Air molecules are just too tiny. Besides, if the surfaces of the bead and wheel are not clean, if the wheel is corroded, or if the mounting lubricant doesn’t coat the bead and wheel properly, it’s possible for air molecules to sneak through there as well.

There’s no way to make a tire absolutely airtight.
Air can also escape where the bead and wheel meet, especially if dirt or corrosion is present, or if the components weren’t properly lubricated.Are these big losses?
A truck tire can lose 2 psi per month, even when brand-new and properly mounted. That’s 24 psi a year, which would take any tire way below the run flat level. It’s another reason we place so much emphasis on regular inflation pressure maintenance.
How much air loss is acceptable?
Maybe none. That’s what suggested the topic of this article. Everybody has seen load and inflation tables. If you know your tire’s load rating and the actual maximum load it will encounter, you can find an inflation pressure on the chart.

<< close >> © 2006-2014 Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations, LLC l legal notice
Old 08-22-2015, 06:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Yep, same for us.
Smitty
12R 22.5
I think checking them only 2 or 3 times a year is risky practice. Check them before every trip, in the morning before moving. The number one cause of blow outs is under inflated tires.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires