Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2015, 10:33 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
I think checking them only 2 or 3 times a year is risky practice. Check them before every trip, in the morning before moving. The number one cause of blow outs is under inflated tires.

Don
My bad if I gave you the impression I only check them a few times a year, not what I had intended. I only 'add air' two or three times a year.

We walk the rig at the start of each day, and do a visual of the tires for problems (nails, bulges, cracks). While stopping on the road during the day, same thing, a visual walk around including the toad.

On the duals, I have Crossfires, so a visual look at that gauge too.

And, I have TPMS and have become very familiar with the PSI readings. Know what they should be in the AM before starting, factor outside temps and altitude when checking those PSI's. And while driving down the road, I have a good feel for what PSI's and Temps should be doing too.

My bad, for confusing such an important item for safety as tire PSI, and overall tire monitoring. Thanks for your post, so I could clarify!

Best to all,
Smitty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #44

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by weretherusso View Post
So we've had our coach for a couple months now and its mostly been parked, but I noticed last week that the tires were low (low 80's) so I went and aired them up (95psi). We're going to take a trip tomorrow and I'm going around and checking the tires again and low and behold they are back down to about 83-85 PSI all the way around.

If this was one tire I'd be concerned there was a leak or something but I'd like to know if this is normal? We have the Michelin XRV tires.
As they say in my neck of the woods, "sumpin' ain't right". That is a lot of air loss in a short period of time. But, as you said, would be odd that every tire and/or valve would leak although possible I guess. I would be suspicious of the valve cores more so than loose valve stems. I am quite honestly surprised at how little air I have to put in my tires, granted they are 19.5" that I run in the low 90's, but I have only had to add a little air once or twice in the past couple of years.

As stated in prior post, I check mine prior to every trip and when traveling every morning. Never experienced that type of air loss.

trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #45

Do you use media for balancing tires?

When I changed tires the shop put media inside for balancing, but left the old valve stems in place and installed new valve cores. My valves begin to leak when the media jammed the valve core.
recaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #46

Monaco Owners Club
I have a TPMS and it matches within a # or two of my hand gauge. Every time we are getting ready to "set sail" I fire up the TPMS while the coach is airing up. I have not had to add any air since the tires were put on in the Spring. And, since I installed steel valve stems in my flatbed I have had zero problems there also. Kudos to TST.
With Doberman (Bailey) & Shitzu (Cooper)
NVMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:03 PM   #47

One additional visual check that is worth doing is to look at each set of duals from the rear and note the bulges down the bottom and compare the two tyres and the two lots of duals. Doesn't take much pressure difference to change the bulges markedly and point to something being amiss.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
So......what's up?

weretherusso... figure this out yet, sort of left us hanging.....
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:04 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
I had to change out my TPMS sending units last August, I aired up all the tires 115 in the front and 95 in the rear. Haven't had to add air for a year. I pretty much keep my TPMS plugged in all the time since I leave the sending units on the valve stems.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:59 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Take that 2015 Newmar Bay Star 2903 back to the dealer and tell them tires should not leak a breath of air in a week, those tires or their mounting is defective. Get tough, that is BS!! My tires may be a few pounds off at most, usually right on, and I have 115/95 in my 22.5s. Don't let them put anything in the tires to seal them up, EVER, they will remount or replace them, period.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:21 PM   #51

TPMS the way to go! Never have to wonder.

Jesus is Lord! Coming back soon.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #52

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
First, I would say that I doubt that many here actually check their tires every time they drive.
Guess you don't know me very well! But only on the MH and that was before I got the TPMS or the Magna which has the factory option SmarTire.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:32 AM   #53
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
That's why I said MANY, not ALL!
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
[QUOTE=Dutch Star Don;2714626]First, I would say that I doubt that many here actually check their tires every time they drive.

I check them with a tire gage before I leave the driveway, and thump them every morning and every fuel stop. If the thumping doesn't sound right, out comes the tire gage. I can hear 5psi it seems.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:14 PM   #55

tire inflation and check engine light

I know the check engine light will come on for many reasons. But if you have a tire that is very low will that light come on?
Old 09-04-2015, 08:32 PM   #56

Quote:
I can hear 5psi it seems.
There is a group that holds regular tyre thumping contests and the result that comes up over and over is the great majority of truckers are wasting their time doing it.

Quote:
“When I see a truck driver walking around thumping their tires, I tell them they might as well take that stick and whack the hood of their truck to see if it needs oil,” says Harvey Brodsky, managing director of the Retread Tire Association. “That’s how accurate a tire thumper is.”

Tags
tires