Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2015, 06:42 AM   #29

I'm reading that to mean it's possible - not that it's likely. From a logical standpoint, it would be in a tire manf's best interest to tell you to expect air loss. That way they aren't responsible when it happens. I can't imagine what it might cost them to start replacing tires that don't hold 100% of their pressure for any extended time frame.

My bicycles can't hold 80psi for more than a couple of days, no matter what I spend on tubes. My coach is another story. Like others state above, they loose very little, even when measured over months.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2015, 07:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by weretherusso View Post
So we've had our coach for a couple months now and its mostly been parked, but I noticed last week that the tires were low (low 80's) so I went and aired them up (95psi). We're going to take a trip tomorrow and I'm going around and checking the tires again and low and behold they are back down to about 83-85 PSI all the way around.
If this was one tire I'd be concerned there was a leak or something but I'd like to know if this is normal? We have the Michelin XRV tires.
weretherusso
A drop of 15 psi in a "couple months" is definitely NOT NORMAL.
However some air loss can be expected... (but my 100 psi tires have never lost more than 1 or 2 psi a month).
Mel
'96 Safari, 141k miles, mine since '01
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:02 AM   #31

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by S-n-L View Post
I have TPMS and am able to check them before each trip. I find I need to top them off about once per month. Ambient temperatures will change the pressure a few psi so take that into account.

I originally would top off the tires with our coaches air compressor but this became a pia so purchased a small Viar Compressor that works great to top off the tires. Our highest pressure tire is 120 psi.

Trying to find a place to top off the tires was nearly impossible for us.

Stuart
I just purchased the Viar as well and I am very pleased with it. Finding air while traveling was very difficult and having cold tires to check was nearly impossible unless you wanted to park you rig for 3 hours or more before checking.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:14 AM   #32
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by weretherusso View Post
So we've had our coach for a couple months now and its mostly been parked, but I noticed last week that the tires were low (low 80's) so I went and aired them up (95psi). We're going to take a trip tomorrow and I'm going around and checking the tires again and low and behold they are back down to about 83-85 PSI all the way around.

If this was one tire I'd be concerned there was a leak or something but I'd like to know if this is normal? We have the Michelin XRV tires.

I kept having trouble with my 22.5 tires losing a few pounds while parked for a few weeks. I had a commercial tire shop check them good for leaks but couldn't find anything. I recently had to replace the two front tires. I watched them changing the tires and noticed that the inside of the wheel where the tire seals was really dirty. I had them use a buffer to thoroughly clean the inside of the wheels before mounting the new tires. So far I have not had any leakage! If you're having more trouble with one particular tire you might want to have them dismount it and try that!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:21 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
A must have is a portable compressor. Sears has a portable 150psi for $100 or less. We've had kids for 3 years. I'm sure not going to start the engine just to air up tires or carry 50ft of hose.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:52 AM   #34

Dang, I've had my Class A for 8 months now and never checked my tires. I best get with the program since I see all these dead tire road kills (rubber all over the place) on the road while I'm driving. And I best check the other essentials also.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:00 AM   #35

American Coach Owners Club
Only checking your tires a couple of times a year, particularly the inside duals, is asking for trouble. I have been around heavy trucks and equipment my whole life, my coach does not move until I check the tires for psi and visual inspect for issues.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
When we had our truck fleet we figured on 2 to 3 lbs loss per month.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:16 AM   #37

I had trouble with one tire. Sometimes it would leak, sometime it would hold. Found out it didn't have a filter valve stem core and the balance powder was causing a slow leak. Longer story but that is a quick summation. Purchased a filtered extension that the balance powder company sells and that cured the problem. Only fluctuation in the last few months has been due to temperature.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:40 PM   #38
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
I think checking them only 2 or 3 times a year is risky practice. Check them before every trip, in the morning before moving. The number one cause of blow outs is under inflated tires.

Don

Totally agree!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #39

Hardly likely that ALL of your tyres happen to leak down equally.

Suggest operator error, or you are airing up the tyres when they are hot.

BTW I've never noticed any operator manual or tyre manual requiring daily checks. Monthly is about three times more often than necessary provided you do a walk-around at the first stop to check tyre temperatures by touch.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:02 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
Only checking your tires a couple of times a year, particularly the inside duals, is asking for trouble. I have been around heavy trucks and equipment my whole life, my coach does not move until I check the tires for psi and visual inspect for issues.

If u have a,TMPS that has been reliable I wouldn't think checking ur tires psi pre trip would be required! I visually check tires while waiting for TMPS to engage and if TMPS psi is ok I'm good to go.
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:03 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

I generally add air once a year, in the spring. Otherwise, psi fluctuates only a few lbs as ambient temperature changes throughout the summer and fall. Driving on them, of course, makes for a big swing, but that's a different think altogether.

You have leaky valves or damaged bead edges on the wheels (rust will do that). Should be fixable easily enough.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #42
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
First, I would say that I doubt that many here actually check their tires every time they drive. I've been camping for 40 years and have yet to see someone at a campground check their tires before departure. You also risk more issues checking something that doesn't need to be done every time you move the RV.

I've had three truck campers, a Class C, a Class A gas and two DP's over 38 years and I've always checked my tires, 2-3 three times a year. Never an issue. I know how my tires should look and if they feel funny. If I had to check my tires every trip, I would quit RVing. I think some take things to extremes.

I often find that the people that are overly concerned about their tires are the same ones who are pushing them past time and wear limits.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires