Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2019, 03:56 PM   #1

How often do you drive solo with the coach and toad?

I don't want to miss a family get together in July with my daughter and grand kids, it's been months since I've seen them. My wife may have to finalize some business out of state which would mean I would have to drive the coach and toad by myself.
I've done this a couple of times on short trips, but frankly I like having my wife there to check the TOAD's break lights, signals, help me back into a site, having that extra set of eyes etc...It's even worth the nagging, well most of the time. LOL

I may have to travel across a couple of state lines, but nothing unusual, just interstate driving for the most part. I would stop at a few campgrounds along the way as convenient to the interstate as possible.

How often do you go it alone; would you skip it, or motor on?
It's never too late to do the right thing!
larliebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2019, 04:11 PM   #2

I drive solo fairly often. The only issue is not having anyone to talk to while driving. I always check all the toad connections myself, even though I trust DW. I can back in to most but the tightest sites using the mirrors and cameras, and the "get out and look" method. You can usually get someone from the campground to help out if it is an unusually difficult site, or just ask the campground to put you somewhere else.
890ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:26 PM   #3

Do solo a lot.

Ditto on missing someone to converse with. However, if one needs help, RVers and Truckers are an awesome group. Never had an issue at the camp ground where someone was not eager to help.

Biased opinion, but some of the best people in the world are fellow RVers.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 890ken View Post
I drive solo fairly often. The only issue is not having anyone to talk to while driving. I always check all the toad connections myself, even though I trust DW. I can back in to most but the tightest sites using the mirrors and cameras, and the "get out and look" method. You can usually get someone from the campground to help out if it is an unusually difficult site, or just ask the campground to put you somewhere else.
Thanks
Old 04-03-2019, 04:30 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
How difficult would it be to disconnect the toad and then park the MH first? I ask because I do not have a toad.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:30 PM   #6

Yeah, me too. I went back and forth from AZ to WA and back numerous times alone.

It may be easier and faster to have someone help with the toad but I see no reason to skip a trip because you have to do it alone.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAtrailtrim View Post
Do solo a lot.

Ditto on missing someone to converse with. However, if one needs help, RVers and Truckers are an awesome group. Never had an issue at the camp ground where someone was not eager to help.

Biased opinion, but some of the best people in the world are fellow RVers.
Thanks, and I agree, I've met some really good RV folks.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:40 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc View Post
Yeah, me too. I went back and forth from AZ to WA and back numerous times alone.

It may be easier and faster to have someone help with the toad but I see no reason to skip a trip because you have to do it alone.
What he said.

I drove solo from South Florida to Denver. It took me a few extra minutes to get going in the morning and get parked at night, because I did everything more slowly and methodically without a helper, but aside from that no big deal.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wife died in Aug 2016 so now every trip anywhere is lonesome. In the MH I usually have 5 or 6 cats though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:47 PM   #10

If travel is to get to destination do you need to unhook each PM?
Why not plan most stops that have pull thrus?
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:50 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I do that frequently even when not solo. No need to unhook if you are not going to use the toad and leaving the next AM.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:13 PM   #12

I am a solo full timer so everywhere I go I am alone. It’s not a problem attaching the tow vehicle at all. After everything is hooked up I get in my RV, turn on the flashers and go back out to check the tow vehicle lights are both flashing and double check that the parking brake is off. If I am traveling more than just one day I try to stop somewhere that I do not have to unhook for the night. When I get to my destination I just ask at checkin if someone can spot me as I back into my sight. The answer is almost always yes, they don’t want you damaging their property, like the power post etc. Life is too short, go see your daughter and grandkids.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:29 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Since my wife’s passing almost two years ago I travel solo in our 41ft MH plus toad. I find it takes a little more advanced planning because you don’t have your navigator to view satellite images for ease of in/ out on stops. So I have to do that before traveling. On back-in sites, just take your time and stop and get out to survey surroundings if the site is tight or has hazards. So go for it. You can do it.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #14

You should always unhook your toad before backing in. There is a good chance you’ll damage your front suspension, tow barons all.
GJohns is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solo, toad