RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2018, 12:25 PM   #1

How often do you drive your motorhome?

We take about a 5-week trip in the spring and again in the fall.

The rest of the time I take it out for a couple of hours every month even in the winter here in Minnesota when the roads are dry, at least to run the generator.

For those of you who have owned a motorhome for a number of years, how often would yours be driven? And how did it hold up?

Have you let it sit for a few months a year and still had it last a good long time?

Minnesota51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
You never said or have listed if you have a diesel or gas.

I have a 2012 Ford F53 with gas V10 is used about 60 to 90 days a year over two or three trips.

So it sits most of the time outside. I usually start it every few months but have not had any battery issues or engine problems.
With that said, I usually change oil and filter every 4,000 to 5,000 miles and sometime shorter depending on weather conditions such as the hot summers in Arizona.

I know have 60,300 miles on it and runs like a top with no mechanical issues.
At 32,000 miles I had Ford power flush brakes system, change transmission fluid and even flushed cooling system as I was planning to keep this rig for many more years and miles.

I think you are doing right by starting and driving your rig every month.
Won't hurt but lubricate everything and keep fluids from stagnating.

Great job!

IggyTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
2 week trip in the late spring, maybe 1500 miles. Then a three month trip in the winter, maybe 7,500 miles..

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Sorry but I do not buy in on having to run the engine (getting it hot enough to do what?) once a month. We snowbird for 3 months and start the engine for the first time the day before we head back home. Did that for 10 years and hope to do the same with our “new rig”. Did not sell our Dynasty to get rid of it after 14 years, solid it to my son with 88K miles on it.

After the trip we are currently on it’s probably going to sit for over 4 months before we head south Christmas Day. NO WAY would I take my MH out during the winter on roads that had salt on them to exercise my engine during the winter.

Never heard of “stagnated fluids...maybe water. What about farm/construction equipment that sit all winter???
Old 08-10-2018, 01:16 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We generally get away at least one weekend per month - and try for twice a month when we've no other obligations. We have a 1000 Trails park about 30 miles from our house so it's pretty convenient!
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I take it out on the road for about a 30 minute drive once a month. During the drive I run the generator with both A/C units on.

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:15 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
We do 2 7-10 day trips & a handful of long weekends May-Oct. It's gets winterized in Nov & nothing gets started (engine or generator) until we de-winterize on our 1st trip in May. I, too, don't buy into having to run anything while in storage. If you don't get the engine up to temp & you don't run the gen under load long enough, you do more harm than good.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We used to take one 4-5 month trip a year and a few weekends and rally’s in between. Never started the gas engine while stored but did run the generator once a month. Easy to put a load on it with a space heater.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #9

I winterize mine mid October , and its sits with the batteries disconnected till mid May . Everything starts and runs just as good as when I parked it. I flush the water system and load it with the non perishables . We normally go out every couple of weeks for 2 to 4 days throughout the summer. Most of the trips are less than 200 miles .
Never had any problem with equipment that sat for a season or two . Starting the engine or generator in sub zero temps just for exercise probably does more harm than good.
Old 08-10-2018, 05:40 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I forgot to mention that I don’t winterize. Florida

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:48 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
All my rigs, gas or diesel have been stored for 6 months without being started with no problems.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:11 PM   #12

I'm with you Minnesota, We take a couple three trips a year. Regardless of the trips I take my coach out for a good hour drive every two weeks... At minimum every month because I'm always looking for nice weather!

I also run the generator and with it, all three air conditioners and the refrigerator. I want to exercise the generator under a full load. My coach also has OTR (Over The Road Air) and I run that as well. There's a lot of reasons to do this, keeping the seals lubricated is one of them. It also chases out any critters from the chassis that decided to take up lodging!

One other thing Minnesota and it is equal to all other reasons to run my coach. It just makes me smile!!!

Harry
Old 08-11-2018, 12:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
We do 2 7-10 day trips & a handful of long weekends May-Oct. It's gets winterized in Nov & nothing gets started (engine or generator) until we de-winterize on our 1st trip in May. I, too, don't buy into having to run anything while in storage. If you don't get the engine up to temp & you don't run the gen under load long enough, you do more harm than good.

Lori-
The generator carburetor will gum up with "varnish" when you let the gas dry out in it from November until May, five months. That's what the experts at Cummins Generator tell me. On my first motorhome 15 years ago I did what you do, and the generator stopped working right. Hard to start, ran rough. Needed a new carburetor.

On this motorhome I run the generator at least an hour a month, with a space heater, or the air conditioner depending on the weather. It runs like a top now, as smooth as silk.

Please don't recommend to people that they not start their generator once a month. You will be causing them expensive and really inconvenient problems, such as ready to go on the first trip and no generator for the air conditioners.
Minnesota51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota51 View Post
The generator carburetor will gum up with "varnish" when you let the gas dry out in it from November until May, five months. That's what the experts at Cummins Generator tell me. On my first motorhome 15 years ago I did what you do, and the generator stopped working right. Hard to start, ran rough. Needed a new carburetor.

On this motorhome I run the generator at least an hour a month, with a space heater, or the air conditioner depending on the weather. It runs like a top now, as smooth as silk.

Please don't recommend to people that they not start their generator once a month. You will be causing them expensive and really inconvenient problems, such as ready to go on the first trip and no generator for the air conditioners.
The reasoning for starting a generator is to exercise the windings and remove any moisture. By adding sta-bil to the gas before storage, the carb will be fine for several months, especially in cold weather. Many years ago, I stored our snowmobiles from march till November with sta-bil in the fuel without carb trouble. A few preventative measures can make the startup after storage an easy task.

Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome