RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2019, 11:24 PM   #1

How Often Do You Get Your Suspension, Steering, Chassis Inspected

Just curious as to how often or what triggers you to get the Suspension, Steering, Chassis etc of your MH inspected.

We have a gas engine, and try to do as much as we can ourselves and feel capable of: such as changing, solenoids, fuel filters, oils, other fluids, checking tires and general other none too complicated, electrical/mechanical repairs for the most part on a regular basis/schedule but .....

Just curious how often other travelling RVers typically have a specialized company check out the "bits underneath" as I tend to think of it.

SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2019, 04:32 AM   #2

Each year. In pa we have a required annual safety inspection on all vehicles, motorcycles, cars and trucks etc. I take our coach to a truck shop we use, well they do both but have a truck side. Our guy goes over everything and looks at everything even what isn't required by the state. Even though our coach doesn't log a ton of miles I feel safe knowing it has been looked over by a truck mechanic who is familiar with truck equipment.

If your state doesn't require it I would find a reputable truck shop who will give it a safety inspection once a year.

2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 04:56 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I do an inspection myself once a year. When I first bought the motorhome three years ago I had the all the ball joints replaced along with a leaky power booster. At the same time I had them replace the master cylinder and flush the break fluid and lines.
Old 04-18-2019, 04:56 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yearly by a state inspector and at least twice a year I'm under it on a creeper just looking for the obvious stuff like torn grease boots, loose or missing hardware, bushings degrading,,,
Old 04-18-2019, 05:58 AM   #5

No required inspection here in Ohio. And, we've only had our MH for only a year, I figure that it will get an annual inspection at the minimum due to oil changes. I've had some work done at a local shop that works on trucks, and have been very pleased with their service so far and think they are good about checking out the chassis while it's in for service.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:18 AM   #6

Location: Wolf Creek dam area, Ky. Cardinal Center Camp Ground, Marengo Oh. or on the road.
Annually by a truck service center.
I personally look when I am on concrete also.
But most importantly is the feeling of how it handles and drives as to triggering a special inspection.

Two years ago I released the air brakes and felt , heard an unfamiliar sound from the left front hub.

It drove fine before we parked for the winter.

I pulled the hub and the inside hub bearing was going bad.

We replaced both inside and outside bearings repacked with grease and drove the 800 miles home.

Soon after I scheduled it in for the annual and reported what I had done.
They rechecked my work and checked , re packed the other front hub also.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 06:23 AM   #7

Every spring when we take it out of winter storage. Our state requires an inspection sticker, so we bring it to the truck/RV repair shop and have the sticker done, oil change, alignment, etc. We also will have them check anything out if the handling seems off during the year.
rmbmrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 07:46 AM   #8
hrw

Going in or out of Storage, typically twice a year. When going in, if there is anything major required the shop in Junction City Oregon will catch it. That gives them time to get the repairs done before I pick it up again. Then just to be sure they do the "once over" before I hit the road. Seems to work well.
hrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:54 AM   #9

This is wonderful feedback, thank you all

Just out of curiosity, any recommendations for best place in or near Calgary AB area to do this thorough inspection?

Again, thanks all for sharing.

SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, steering, suspension