Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2016, 01:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative49 View Post
My Xantrex 1000 is out and trying to figure if it's worth repairing -- do very little dry camping. Maybe a Rally.
FloridaNative49
The inverter portion of my combination 2000 watt inverter/100A battery charger has only been used 6-8 times in 20 years.... and we dry camp/boondock often.
(However I couldn't do without the 3 stage battery charger portion).
Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
iron claw pure sine wave 1500 watt inverter. It cost $199.
So much for proofreading; I can't even pretend this was a typo. I meant to type Tiger Claw pure sine wave 1500 watt inverter.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #31
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
My Xantrex 1000 is out and trying to figure if it's worth repairing -- do very little dry camping. Maybe a Rally.

We use the inverter to power the fridge while we're traveling!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:14 AM   #32

Mine died years ago, both inverter and converter functions.

With the solar panel, generator and regular use (i.e. keeping the battery banks charged as the alternator and solar panel charge both banks), have not missed it.

We do dry camp at music festivals and have not had a problem as we are in the "generator area" in those situations.

Bought a small 3 stage charger to hook-up while running the genny.

Also have propane stove, oven and refrigerator so we do not have to give up anything regarding "mission critical" items.

It was a matter of spending thousands or a couple of 20's...went with the 20's.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
thnx All for the quick response. I'll be testing this out next month with about a 6 week 4,000 mi. trip, sooooo..
if I upgrade to the 1500 or 2000, do you think i can do a straight wiring swap? Did you do your own install? This one also has a remote switch on the main panel.
To answer the second part of your question, if you upgrade to the 1500 or 2000, it will depend upon what you are planning to use it for, how good your wiring is, and how many batteries are involved. Yes, stepping up will allow you to temporarily have more or bigger appliances in use off of your batteries, but it will consequently draw their charges down faster. Going from 1000 to 1500 and probably 2000 will be the same wiring, but you may have some fuses that will be too small.

Anyone else want to comment?
Old 07-17-2016, 09:54 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does an inverter only draw what it needs from the batteries to meet the demand? In other words if he goes to a larger inverter, could he expect the same performance as he has now when using the same appliances he used before, or would the larger inverter automatically shorten his battery duration regardless of what the load is on the inverter?
Old 07-17-2016, 10:01 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Even when dry camping we seldom use the inverter. Refrigerator is on propane which is a big plus when dry camping.

Any time we have to use an appliance, (microwave, coffee maker, toaster etc) we start the generator since running any of these requires lots of amps/watts and would deplete the batteries quickly.

Leaving the inverter on, even if you are not powering anything depletes the batteries.

Even to watch TV I use a small 12 volt outlet type inverter since it takes much less power.

We have 325 watt solar so in most cases we can get by with running the generator a minimal amount of time.

It is nice to have one though just in case you are parked where you may not be able to run generator etc.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Mine is always is in standby, ready to pick up the load. When the genset is not on then it runs the fridge. We lost neutral at the post one evening, surge protector shut the power off, inverter picked up the load and we continued watching TV. Only things not available on inverter is the washer/dryer and the AC.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 01:41 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use my constantly. I have a residential refrigerator and it powers that when traveling.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:05 PM   #38

Well........ I guess I'm convinced I should go on Amazon and do a straight replacement --at least to run the coffee pot. 😛 Is there an easy way short of trying every outlet to decide what's wired to it ? I doubt it's whole coach.
Thnx to all for the good advice.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:00 PM   #39

Quote:
Well........ I guess I'm convinced I should go on Amazon and do a straight replacement --at least to run the coffee pot. �� Is there an easy way short of trying every outlet to decide what's wired to it ? I doubt it's whole coach.
Thnx to all for the good advice.
FloridaNative49
Can't you make coffee on the LP cook top?
(We do and it that uses no electricity at all).

IMO trying every outlet with one of these IS the easy way to determine which of the outlets are inverter powerd.

Electric Receptacle Tester

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 07-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #40

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
We use ours esp when dry camping as hubby uses a cpap.

We use it while driving to charge things.
southernlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:08 PM   #41

Why is it that when someone wants to use an inverter to make coffee, all the "Get a stove top percolator" voices ring out.

I have a RV because I want one.
I use electric coffee maker because I want to.
He may feel the same way.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:16 PM   #42

When I am traveling I turn it on and leave it, only when engine is off and the generator is off is it drawing from batteries. When camped on shore power it stays on so it's a standby and with the auto start gen it's all reasonably fail safe. When home if not on 15 amp shore power then it all gets shut off.

Tags
inverter