Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Why is it that when someone wants to use an inverter to make coffee, all the "Get a stove top percolator" voices ring out.
I have a RV because I want one.
I use electric coffee maker because I want to.

He may feel the same way.
twinboat
That's perfectly fine with me... I often do what I want to do without any input from others.
However when it appears that someone believes they need an inverter to make coffee I'm happy to offer them a workable alternative.
Mel
'96 Safari

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2016, 04:46 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
twinboat
That's perfectly fine with me... I often do what I want to do without any input from others.
However when it appears that someone believes they need an inverter to make coffee I'm happy to offer them an an alternative.
Mel
'96 Safari
There are many times when an alternate suggestion can enlighten and help the original posters and many others following a thread.

But a stove top coffee pot ? Surely he knows of them.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:38 PM   #45

Answer to the question of increased loss from a larger inverter is that USING more power will deplete your battery faster, but the inverter at idle does not use a lot more current than the smaller one. It does use some more, but it's not going to be a significant factor.

Having the extra power when you need it is really good, but will not likely increase your need. Simple example is a coffee maker; it needs about 1400 to 1500 Watts. The 1KW unit can handle it on overload, but that's pushing it. A 2KW inverter would be a better choice, and is less likely to burn out or trip the internal breakers.

My coach came with the 2KW (MSW) unit like yours, and does everything we need. On the road the alternator keeps the batteries supplied and the residential refrigerator runs along very nicely all day long.

Answer to the OP's question: we leave the inverter on whenever we are driving or in a park, allowing the inverter's transfer switch to shift the load to wherever it's needed.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:48 PM   #46
hrw

Repair it. You have one, fix it. Use it all the time.
hrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #47

A Lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative49 View Post
My Xantrex 1000 is out and trying to figure if it's worth repairing -- do very little dry camping. Maybe a Rally.
We use it several times on every trip... Because 115v charges a lot faster than 12v, we use it on the road to charge the cell phones, laptops, and tablet... MUCH faster charge than the 12v sockets!

We also have a crock pot sitting in the sink (for safety,stability) while driving, running off of the inverter. Food is ready when we arrive. Also use it for the POD coffee maker at rest stops, so we don't have to start the generator.
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #48

How often do you REALLY use your Inverter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
Because 115v charges a lot faster than 12v, we use it on the road to charge the cell phones, laptops, and tablet... MUCH faster charge than the 12v sockets!

You have the wrong usb converter then.....plenty of 12 volt to 5 volt usb converters that put as many amps as the 115v ones do.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:23 PM   #49
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This is not really a generic question you can ask of a crowd with varying RV's. Inverters are relatively new to RVing and pretty much part of most new (large) modern RV's. Someone responding with a 20 or 30 year old coach that they don't need one, really is of no value if their coach doesn't use one like the new coaches do.

It's also a question that really pertains to how people use their coach. Someone connected to shore power every time they camp, really have little need for one. On the other hand, people who have a residential refer or like to watch TV while boon docking will use theirs all the time.

To the OP, if you replace yours, it's not just a matter of adding something larger, you need to fit it to your battery bank.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:47 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
You have the wrong usb converter then.....plenty of 12 volt to 5 volt usb converters that put as many amps as the 115v ones do.
very true. i use an ankar iq charger on 12v for note 3, man, that thing is much faster than samsung 115v adapter. you just need to find the right one.
Old 07-17-2016, 08:03 PM   #51

We were tooling down the Cassier Highway on our Alaskan trip smelling the wonderful aroma of BBQ ribs in the crockpot. Dinner was ready when we stopped.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:17 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvo View Post
Every day. I have an iron claw pure sine wave 1500 watt inverter. It cost $199. There are some good videos of it on YouTube showing the build quality. It's worked perfectly for me.Easy Install.

I wonId buy another one. Buy it on Amazaon, Ebay, or Sigler Music,

I have a solar panel to charge batteries.
Can you get a remote for this inverter? Any transfer switch when on shorepower or generator? I will be getting a residential fridge soon and looking for an inverter to power it. The magnum energy 600 watt has this feature but it's $400 and modified sine wave.
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 05:02 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Why is it that when someone wants to use an inverter to make coffee, all the "Get a stove top percolator" voices ring out.

I have a RV because I want one.
I use electric coffee maker because I want to.
He may feel the same way.
Because the poster often has a unit that will not support the battery drain of a coffee maker. ;-)
Old 07-18-2016, 07:18 AM   #54

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Use my inverter all the time. I am not a fan of campgrounds. Love my technology and also have a residential refer. Also love to boondock and not a fan of running my genny.
Solar is not installed yet (too darn hot in FL now) but will be over the winter.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #55

We have a 2003 Bounder (new to us). It says in the manual, the inverter should only power the front and rear entertainment centers and maybe the microwave. Upon checking all outlets in the coach, there is power supplied to all outlets and the microwave when the inverter is on with no shore power or generator connected. Anyone have any idea why our unit is like this or what may be causing it? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by noserider View Post
Can you get a remote for this inverter? Any transfer switch when on shorepower or generator? I will be getting a residential fridge soon and looking for an inverter to power it. The magnum energy 600 watt has this feature but it's $400 and modified sine wave.
I used a Kisae auto transfer switch (Kisae TS20A Transfer Switch 20A 120V | eBay), about $80 with shipping. It plugged into the outlet on my inverter (Tiger Claw 1500w pure sine wave inverter, $199). I then cut the romex going to the outlets from the converter distribution panel and wired the converter output to the other input and the outlets to the switch output.

The inverter doesn't have a remote, although if you're a little handy you can add one. There's a YouTube video showing how to do it:

Tags
inverter