Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2015, 09:27 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Annually. Use bottled water for drinking. Use the tank water for all else.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 10:16 AM   #16

We've gotten into the habit of just adding 2-3 ounces of bleach to our 100 gallon tank each time we fill it. That's in the range where you can still use the water for everything but it should stop anything from starting. We have a simple gravity fill to it's easy to just mix up some water and the bleach in a typical 500ml bottle of water, and pour it in just before sticking the hose in to fill. If it wasn't so easy I'd probably just do a stiffer mix once or twice a year.

Steve
Old 03-25-2015, 11:17 AM   #17

I want to sanitize the system on our new coach, and was thinking of doing this at the campground on our next trip. I really don't have a good place otherwise - our storage place has fresh water, just not sure how fresh it really is.

Was going to add the bleak mix through the gravity fill, fill the tank the run the water though all the faucets until I get the stong chlorine smell, and let it sit for 4 hours.

Then just dump my fresh water tank by holding my slinky under it the tank drain (I guess I could just run all the faucets and let it drain out through the gray tank too) and let the 50 gallons run into the campground sewer. Put my house and in line filter on and fill the tank and flush the clorine.

Is this ok to do technically, and appropriate to do at a campground as I outlined?

Thanks
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:42 AM   #18

Betr2 check the rules at the campground. At the one we're at now bleach is prohibited for use in both the RV and the laundry machines due to their septic system. Maybe do it before you return to storage & dump it there?

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 03-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to jpollard62
Sanitize Fresh Water Tank Option

A friend and fellow full time RVer, Bill Randolph told me how he uses something other than household bleach which works well for him and I also started using it. I think it is worth passing on to you. Before he retired, Bill spent twenty years in the swimming pool business. He's an expert when it comes to sanitizing swimming pools and spas and says the same rules apply to RV fresh water systems.

Bill uses Chlorinating Concentrate (Sodium Dichloro-s-Triazinetricone or Sodium Dichlor for short). Sodium Dichlor contains 62% available chlorine. Compare that to household bleach which has something close to 3%. One pound of Sodium Dichlor is equal to 8 gallons of bleach! Also, household bleach contains other stuff, including a lot of salt, and that salt and other stuff is what causes the bad taste and why you have to flush the fresh water tank so well.

Bill says it takes only 1 teaspoon of the concentrate per 100 gallons of water to initially sanitize the system. Remember to run water through all the faucets. It's okay to use the full teaspoon even on smaller tanks because you will be flushing the tank before adding the water you intend to drink but it seems wasteful.

Like most of us, Bill travels with a near empty tank to reduce weight. So if he arrives at park where he plans to stay and they have well water, he drops a half teaspoon per 100 gallons of the concentrate into the fill tube and fills his water tank. This insures the system will always be sanitized. No, you do not have to flush again. It's the equivalent to drinking chlorinated city water. If you are filling your tank from a source that is already chlorinated then you don't need to add the concentrate.

That said, if you don't like to drink chlorinated water, don't add the concentrate to the water you intend to drink. Assuming, you fill your water tank from a trusted source you should be safe. Or, you can add the concentrate and then filter the water you drink or cook with.

Truth is I almost always seem to be filling the fresh water tank from a chlorinated source (city water supply) so I seldom need to to use the concentrate. And we do filter our drinking water.

This is not a case where more is better. This stuff is concentrated and it's best to use just what Bill recommends.

Because Sodium Dichlor is so highly concentrated you only need to carry a very small container... buy the smallest container available. And it is dry crystals so there is less chance of a spill. However, because it is so concentrated it is highly corrosive so you do have to be careful how you store it and use it. You should be able to find Sodium Dichlor (Chlorinating Concentrate) at any pool supplies or spa store. Bill says there are several brands to choose from but brand should not be a factor in your choice... it's all the same stuff.
jpollard62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:45 PM   #20

X2 on the pool stuff.

We just pick up a pkg of pool shock.

Store the pkg in a zip lock inside a jar or tupperware.

Does not have the same taste as bleach and it takes very small amount.

If you have older unit with gray or bp piping mix into the tank and let it stand then operate all devices until smell then flush with water.

Fast!

The bp stuff does NOT like chlorine
Old 03-25-2015, 06:01 PM   #21

I never thought about using the shock it pool sanitizer. Cool idea.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:34 PM   #22

Have never sanitized--don't use tank for cooking or drinking- general drain tank if not going to use it for a couple weeks. I figure that we fill from city water now & then and that water has chlorine in it. Should be good enough. At least always has.

We don't run any filters. Not even in the coach. Never had a problem there either.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Every Spring (whether it needs it or not ... LOL). /ken
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #24

our PO advised us to add a cup or so of Bleach in the hose prior to filling each time .... tho I'm beginning to wonder about that as our level indicator does seem to be working ... our water has been fine however ............ ???? We use it for cooking and morning coffee ........ & bottled water .... and of course a nice glass of wine .... #takeasdesired

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Have never sanitized--don't use tank for cooking or drinking- general drain tank if not going to use it for a couple weeks. I figure that we fill from city water now & then and that water has chlorine in it. Should be good enough. At least always has.

We don't run any filters. Not even in the coach. Never had a problem there either.

Russell
I feel the same about sanitizing, (and filters), although my tank and water system has been sanitized, (but only twice in 19 years).
I drink tank water, and my wife cooks with it....however she drinks only bottled water in the coach...(and at home).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 07:39 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
X2 on the pool shock... A little goes a very long way. In the spring every year, won't hurt but, could help.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:54 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do it at the start of the season, and we drink the water too, never any problems with doing that.
The correct % is 1/4 cup bleach to 15 gallons of water capacity, run through all lines and let sit at least 4 hours. Then rinse thoroughly. Didn't do that with the Magna as there just wasn't time yet.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
I want to sanitize the system on our new coach, and was thinking of doing this at the campground on our next trip. I really don't have a good place otherwise - our storage place has fresh water, just not sure how fresh it really is.

Was going to add the bleak mix through the gravity fill, fill the tank the run the water though all the faucets until I get the stong chlorine smell, and let it sit for 4 hours.

Then just dump my fresh water tank by holding my slinky under it the tank drain (I guess I could just run all the faucets and let it drain out through the gray tank too) and let the 50 gallons run into the campground sewer. Put my house and in line filter on and fill the tank and flush the clorine.

Is this ok to do technically, and appropriate to do at a campground as I outlined?

Thanks
FWIW I'd add the bleach and fill at the storage faciltiy. When I got to the campground I'd open the valve and dump the tank drain water on the ground. It will not kill the grass and or contain anything nasty for pets to get into. Refill the tank, run some water through the faucets and good to go. If I needed the bathroom on the way no problem with what was in the tank for flushing and washup but I would be drinking out of a jug from home or bottled water. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water