Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2015, 05:20 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
FWIW I'd add the bleach and fill at the storage faciltiy. When I got to the campground I'd open the valve and dump the tank drain water on the ground. It will not kill the grass and or contain anything nasty for pets to get into. Refill the tank, run some water through the faucets and good to go. If I needed the bathroom on the way no problem with what was in the tank for flushing and washup but I would be drinking out of a jug from home or bottled water. ;-)
Hum, I guess if I am outing the bleach in the water from the storage facility, that negates any concerns I have with it, and I the water won't be any worse that swimming pool water if I just drain the tank in the ground, while what was left in the pipes would be very diluted after you flush is and fill up the grey tank. I'm going to check the storage facility water this weekend, and talk to the facility owner and get his perspective on it too. If I am going to drain the tank on the ground, probably no reason not to use the campground water either.... Thanks
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2015, 06:08 AM   #30

WOW! I've been RVing, traveling in a motorhome, for 40+ yrs and don't ever remember puting anything but water in the water tank. I also don't use non-toxic afreeze in the pipes but have been blowing the system out and never ever had an issue. The unit I have now does have a filter tap and we use that for drinking and cooking.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:56 AM   #31

Country Coach Owners Club
Seldom do a bleach treatment, but prior to each trip we do fill with our City Water. We also store the rig with a partial load of City Water.

City Water has chlorine which is a sanitizer.

I drink water from the tank and have had no taste or illness problems in 13 years.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:14 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1phx View Post
our PO advised us to add a cup or so of Bleach in the hose prior to filling each time .... tho I'm beginning to wonder about that as our level indicator does seem to be working ... our water has been fine however ............ ???? We use it for cooking and morning coffee ........ & bottled water .... and of course a nice glass of wine .... #takeasdesired
Adding bleach every time is not only unnecessary, but can be bad for your body.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #33

Per Clorox

https://www.clorox.com/products/clor...erdisinfection

2 ounces per 100 gallons is their maximum recommended threshold for human consumption., with just 1 ounce per 100 gallons being typically enough to sanitize.

I've seen other sites that advise you can go about 3 times higher than that, but I don't know if I'd trust them ... and I would only drink it at that point if I was stuck in the desert and had only even more unpalatable options available.

Steve
Old 03-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
Per Clorox

https://www.clorox.com/products/clor...erdisinfection

2 ounces per 100 gallons is their maximum recommended threshold for human consumption., with just 1 ounce per 100 gallons being typically enough to sanitize.

I've seen other sites that advise you can go about 3 times higher than that, but I don't know if I'd trust them ... and I would only drink it at that point if I was stuck in the desert and had only even more unpalatable options available.

Steve
Not according to the RV manufacturers instructions, they say, as I posted above ¼ cup per 15 gallons of water capacity to sanitize the system. And that's what I've been doing for more years than I want to remember!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:45 PM   #35

FWIW there are two different levels of recommended chlorine. One is for sanitizing and the other for purifying. Sanitizing is significantly higher. I would not bet on drinking water as a sanitizing agent other than as a way to rinse out contaminants.

FWIW 2 Chlorine is unstable in water. Read the aquarium literature and they say you can leave a container uncovered in the sun for a day or so to eliminate the chlorine. Vitamin C tablets will also do it fairly fast. Neither are something I would rely on for continuous use but I would handy information if one is stuck with an excess in the water and no other handy source.

From my perspective I dump in a sanitizing load when I de winterize as a way to clean the system and help move out the pink stuff. Once the system is clean and full the chances of contamination by filling from a potable source are very small. One does not get animals in one's water tank. ;-) We use the tank water for everything but supplement with cheap jugs of bottled drinking water as a convenience.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 05:00 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
When you guys do your sanitation routine, do you use bleach as suggested by the owners manual, or one of the commercially available sanitizers that I have seen advertised?
jt
I use hydrogen peroxide, it's safer than bleach and leaves no taste or odour
Old 03-27-2015, 05:46 PM   #37

Never have! Bought new and full timing for 12 years, a full R/O system, and the water tastes great! (less than 20 TDS when checked last)
DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water