Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2017, 05:40 AM   #15

DocJ, I read posts daily about problems (which I totally expect with a house on wheels) so I'm trying to ask a question that helps me get a sense for how emergency repairs color the rv experience. I saw a Utube video where the guy said they had something important break on every trip. (He had a poor quality rv and my guess wasn't on top of his maintenance) I'll try to elaborate using your slide example.
Your slide issue forced you to stop what you were doing, get help right away, find/ fabricate parts and then get it fixed. While I know it was not catastrophic, it certainly interrupted your trip. Fortunately in that case you were back out on the road in a day. No harm, no foul ..... onto the next adventure!
You report two interruptions in seven years. I consider that excellent and easy to live with. I'm a pretty chill guy, handy with tools and my wife and I both are great at flexing.
On the other hand, if you said you had 10 emergency repairs in 57K, I would rethink the strategy of buying a great quality older machine. Make sense?
Thanks for your input!!

BattleWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2017, 06:02 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Other than 2 tire blowouts I should have fixed before leaving I've only had 2 other minor problems temporarily slowing me down in 55 years/1.6M miles of driving. About 10 years in RVs and 75k miles.
I look for problems and always do the proper maintenance before leaving.

Old 05-07-2017, 07:12 AM   #17
1977-2006

Newmar Owners Club
I'm not going to post in this thread.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:43 AM   #18

in about 25 years, I had one issue I couldn't fix and get back going. It was a badly leaking front seal on the tranny . That resulted in 3 days down time while a transmission shop dropped the tranny and put in a new seal.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #19

But it's so tempting . We have around 400,000 miles on 4 motorhomes, and I'm gonna create a private list to see if I really want to respond

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #20

BTW: I paid extra for the premium coverage so this is a jinx free thread!!! In fact, any jinx normally associated with any statement on this thread is immideately transferred to the next person who cuts you off! You can't beat that!
BattleWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One. Dry camping at a balloon festival in hot weather. Generator quit. No air conditioning so pulled out early.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:32 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
95 BlueBird 150000 miles...(20 yrs)
1 fuel shutoff solenoid (cummins) , one master solenoid (house power) and one water connection... All fixed at campsite or in Napa parking lot.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fyi it's meticulously maintained!
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleWagon View Post
I'm considering purchasing a well-maintained, well-made, high-end DP between 5-15 years old for use 8 months a year. I'm trying to get a bead on what frequency of serious problems I should expect to have assuming I keep on top of my scheduled maintenance. So for those who've driven coaches with a little age, how often have your trips been interrupted for a serious, un-planned repair? It would be helpful if you can correlate the frequency of serious problems with the age of your coach. For instance, are we talking a serious problem every two years for 5 year-old coach? Once-per-year for 10 year-old? Once-every-six-months for a 15 year-old? Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!!! Chip
Once, today i had to cancel a trip to a campground for 10 days.

For a few weeks i have had an intermittent no power to the chassis side, no start, no power to dash and all running lights. I thought i found some loose connections as all power returned and was working for a week.... untill yesterday, chassis side no power again. I went back to look at what Thor service tech recommended, the battery disconnect solenoid. This solenoid is under the hood 1/2 way behind a circuit board in a metal box right in front of the master cylinder. I wasn't going to gamble loosing all power en route to the campground with no start, or hazard lights.

This mornig after a few tests that showed everything good the solenoid was coming out.
Took about an hour to remove the board and the solinoid. While getting to it there were several battery voltage wires that were almost just finger tight. Could those not so tight/loose connections be the cause, maybe but while i had the solenoid out it will be replaced.

I was really looking forward to this trip.. but safety first.
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 31'
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:42 PM   #25

We didn't have anything major to deal with only maintenance during 16 years of full-timing and traveling constantly - even to Alaska. I think you're dwelling on this too much. If it happens just do some siteseeing in the area you're in while waiting for it to be fixed... make a new trip out of it. If you break down while traveling service people know (or should know) that you can't wait around for weeks for it to be repaired. Also, while traveling this isn't the only thing that can inconvenience you... it could be weather, wildfires, medical issues, etc. Just go with the flow.... it always seems to work out. Also, every RV will be different and how it was taken care of and maintenance done on schedule. You can't go by someone else's experiences. If you can find a RV that the owner has kept all the maintenance/repair records, as we did, you'd be ahead of the game. They're out there!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #26

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post

Apricots

Semper Fi
CC Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 02:20 PM   #27

I travel 5-8K miles per year, bought my coach used, it has 105K on it and I have never had to anything other than routine maintenance. It is a Cummins 400ISL w/ Allison 6 speed automatic.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:28 PM   #28

Knocking On Wood!

Over 11 years of full-timing in my 2004 Diplomat and there's never been a disabling breakdown, and I don't think any major change in travel plans due to needed maintenance. Sure, there have been plenty of maintenance items over the years, but you just deal with them as you go along.

Did I say I was knocking on wood???

Honestly, I have been amazed over the years there have not been more problems and I feel very fortunate.

tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, repairs