Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2015, 09:32 PM   #15

My Michelin's ,235-8-22.5 XRV, are dated 4306 with 28k miles. No cracks and look great. I store in doors as did the previous owner who didn't have it out of the garage very much. The reason they are not weathered or cracked. However, I'm in the process of pricing to replace the front tires and will likely do before we head south in January for several months.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #16

Replaced my 05 XZE's with XZE2's last year at 9 yrs of age.

Old 05-28-2015, 01:41 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2008 with 31,000 miles, stored in climate/humidity control environment
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 07:31 AM   #18

I just bought a used Coach with only 6k miles, a 2009 model, the tire dates were 2005 and 2007. I got the dealer to replace all. I kept one of the 2007's for a spare. I had a pro driver deliver the coach. When looking at the 2007 spare, it looked brand new, it did not have sidewall cracking that I could see.

The driver said to always replace old tires and told me of a coach that he picked up out of state for a dealer and he did not check date of tires as they looked good. Enroute, he had a blowout, then a 2nd blowout and then a third blowout before he could come to a stop. The tires turned out to be over ten years old and when one blew it added weight to the others causing the multiple sidewall blowouts.

Besides the danger of multiple blowouts, he was stranded on the side of a busy interstate for 2 days as they could not even tow him and the dealer who had bought the coach was faced with what to do with the tires since the 3 not flat needed replacing as the driver did not want to drive on the other 3 old tires. He said the dealer had to pay a premium and do a lot of phoning to find someone with 6 new correct size tires that someone could mount on the side of the interstate.

That then made me realize replacing perfectly good looking older tires is a must.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:19 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
15 years old with 36k on them, NO weather cracks.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:12 AM   #20

How old are your Michelins?

2 years old. They have 5 years to go.
I don't do risky things. Our machine and our lives may mean more to us than others.
Some wear a badge of honor for tire longevity. Not me.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #21

I just replaced my XZA3 after 7 years. They did not have any sidewall cracking but for me, new tires are cheaper than a blow out. The dealer gave me $80 ea for the old ones which go back to Michelin for retread and used on hi way trailers. Out the door cost (tax in) was just over $500 ea c/w counteract balancing beads. I thought at that price, it was just not worth taking a chance and the new ones are made in Canada, dated 13/2015.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #22

Thanks for the sharing of your tire age, and experiences, on this thread.

Ours are doing well, with two out of 8 tires just starting to show some cracking around the letter/number stampings. Confirmed that they are 2010 tires, as I had spaced out on when I installed them!

So, I have sometime to go!

Best,
Smitty
Old 07-25-2015, 07:15 PM   #23

Should you run the tires one season too long you will probably have a blowout, or multiple blowouts. If you replace one year too soon it costs a little more money, but no blowouts and the exposure to dangers thereof.
I know of many who use Michelin tires, and as they age their weak point is they tend to blow, more so than other brands. You may get 7 seasons, you may get 10 seasons, but there is a risk involved, and each user must make their own decision based upon their appetite for accepting risk.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGeo View Post
Should you run the tires one season too long you will probably have a blowout, or multiple blowouts. If you replace one year too soon it costs a little more money, but no blowouts and the exposure to dangers thereof.
I know of many who use Michelin tires, and as they age their weak point is they tend to blow, more so than other brands. You may get 7 seasons, you may get 10 seasons, but there is a risk involved, and each user must make their own decision based upon their appetite for accepting risk.

I agree, I would sacrifice getting body work done for looks before I would ride on old tires, brakes or suspension.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:07 PM   #25

I'm in the school or an ounce or preventive expenditure on this one... But as long as all appears in good shape, I'll drive them up to few months shy of age 7 (Tire date).

I had the shop Manager, Park Tires of San Diego -20+ years of experience, tell me that he'd seem dramatically less failure with the standard XZE. And, that he expected the thick sidewalls of the XZE* would have even less failure.

We're anal on all tires, cars and RV, tire pressure And that too is a good thing, as a lower pressure tire builds more heat then a properly inflated tire does.

No guarantees, and even with diligent visual inspections - stuff happens. And IMO, that is on all tires, not just Michelin's.

Time will tell! Best to all,
Smitty
Old 07-26-2015, 01:31 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
How old are your Michelins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGeo View Post

I know of many who use Michelin tires, and as they age their weak point is they tend to blow, more so than other brands.

Hi Carl,

Can you please tell me where you obtained the data showing that "Michelins ...weak point is they tend to blow, more so than other brands..." ?

I 'd be really interested to know where you obtained these "FACTS". Perhaps you can provide a link to a website detailing this data.

I've seen the class action lawsuits against Goodyear, BF Goodrich and some other brands due to massive tire failures, but found no data reflecting what you stated about Michelins.

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2015, 06:12 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
I had 6 that were 15 years old and 2 that were 13. They had been stored indoors and used little (27000 miles) and had virtually no signs of wear or cracking. Oneof the older ones blew out a couple months ago. I now have 8 brand new ones.

BTW, Michilen told me storage does not hurt a 22.5 tire on jacks or not. So they do not agree with the exercising claims. Load, inflation and road hazzards are the things they said to watch.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:36 PM   #28

Just replaced my original Michelin tires after 10 years and slight side wall cracking just started to show this year. The RV is stored under a roof so tires are shaded from the sun. We do a spring and fall trip each year of 4000 to 5000 miles. The original tires where trouble free. I started to replace them last year with two new Michelin's on the front, but one went bad , a defect in my opinion. Michelin Customer Care has had it now for 7 months and still hasn't decided if they should cover it.
So I just replaced the remaining 4 tires with Toyos.

GREGORYJ is offline   Reply With Quote