Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 07:11 AM   #169

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have no TPMS but check the 6 tires about every time I stop (for gas or others), anyway they were 9 years old and I was planning to change them in 2015. Luckily it didn't cause any dommage.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstdreamin View Post
If not already, You might check out FMCA's Michelin tire program. Saved me big bucks! About $100/tire from what I was quoted at tow different tire shops.
jstdreamin
It pays to shop around.
In 2011 I got 6 Michelins at Sam'sClub for $50 LESS per tire than the FMCA discount price.

However Michelins at any price can be a mistake.....(a search for "sidewall cracks" on iRV2 Forums will explain why).

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:44 AM   #171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magister54 View Post
Less than a year, on our 2006 we had the original tire (DOT2005) and last year a rear interior blown on the highway, no fun... I replaced the 6 of them with Michelin, I was in NH so paid no taxes
I guess one day or the other, you have to replace the tires on a MH within it's life, especially that it sits parking for most of the time. I am just not convinced at all that a blowout is primarily due to aging when a the tire show no signs.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:56 AM   #172

Now the math:
If your tires are $5000, over 7 years it's about $60 per month. 10 years is about $42. Got 18 bucks? Not a whole lotta Starbucks there!
Going to 10 years is about $650 "savings" over a 7 year plan.
I opt for the plan that only costs chump-change more.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidoo View Post
I guess one day or the other, you have to replace the tires on a MH within it's life, especially that it sits parking for most of the time. I am just not convinced at all that a blowout is primarily due to aging when a the tire show no signs.

Part of the tire age equation is the time for accumulation of damaging events to occur. The single most damaging event is heat. Over heating is usually the result of over load or under inflation. Big serious potholes or bridge transition hits can cause bruising of the casing. Some of this damage can be seen if the tire is dismounted but certainly not all.

As these events buildup and the tire components age, the possibility of a tire failure starts to ramp up. There is no definitive answer to the tire life question because every tire has a different history that impacts it's service life.

As owner/drivers all we can do is decide where our comfort level is.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #174

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is what a 9 years old tire did
http://i.imgur.com/oIfokTJ.jpg
Old 04-25-2015, 06:06 AM   #175

Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree. Heat damage is accumulative over the life of the tire, as well. Speed is a double whammy, as much more heat is generated and the impact of potholes, etc, is greatly increased as the speed increases. Keep your tires aired up(air is cheap), drive at a moderate speed, and avoid driving during the heat of the day if in a hot climate. Your tires will generally thank you with an extended service life.
Peterd503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:05 AM   #176

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
This is what a 9 years old tire did
http://i.imgur.com/oIfokTJ.jpg
I'm no "expert" Magister, but I would say from the photo, that is not due to the tire's age.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:17 AM   #177

Commercial Member

Quote:
I have no TPMS but check the 6 tires about every time I stop (for gas or others), anyway they were 9 years old and I was planning to change them in 2015. Luckily it didn't cause any dommage.
Glad to hear you avoided damage. But I bet there was a bit of inconvenience.

Checking tires every AM and every gas stop is a lot of work (I'm assuming you do an actual pressure check and not just visual which is not a great way to know if a leak has started)
Here is a picture of a tire that was checked 50 miles earlier.

Clearly checking tires at gas stops is missing a puncture that occurred as you left the campground or gas station. If cought sufficiently early it is possible to even save the punctured tire from being a pile of rubber & steel trash and might even be repaired and used or sold.

I consider a TPMS like having engine monitoring gauges. Would you be comfortable with simply checking the oil dip stick or radiator water level or battery voltage when you get gas?
Old 04-25-2015, 10:21 AM   #178

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Part of the tire age equation is the time for accumulation of damaging events to occur. The single most damaging event is heat. Over heating is usually the result of over load or under inflation. Big serious potholes or bridge transition hits can cause bruising of the casing. Some of this damage can be seen if the tire is dismounted but certainly not all.

As these events buildup and the tire components age, the possibility of a tire failure starts to ramp up. There is no definitive answer to the tire life question because every tire has a different history that impacts it's service life.

As owner/drivers all we can do is decide where our comfort level is.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 04-25-2015, 08:12 PM   #179

Winnebago Owners Club
Within the recent posts I see that the Michelin's recommendation to have the tires pulled off the rims and examined on the inside after 5 years in service and each year after until 10 years the replace the tires.

Now we need to know what shops will do this service and how to find them. Any suggestions?

Has anyone had their tires changed at a truck stop type service?
Old 04-26-2015, 06:49 AM   #180

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Within the recent posts I see that the Michelin's recommendation to have the tires pulled off the rims and examined on the inside after 5 years in service and each year after until 10 years the replace the tires.

Now we need to know what shops will do this service and how to find them. Any suggestions?

Has anyone had their tires changed at a truck stop type service?
jerichorick
Call Michelin Customer Care at 1-866-866-6605 and ask were your nearest "authorized Michelin dealer" is located.
OR go here: Michelin dealer locator | Find local tire dealers | Michelin US
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:32 AM   #181

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
jerichorick
Call Michelin Customer Care at 1-866-866-6605 and ask were your nearest "authorized Michelin dealer" is located.
OR go here: Michelin dealer locator | Find local tire dealers | Michelin US
Mel
'96 Safari
Mel, my thought is generic. Not all of us have Michelin's but the inspection practice is still sound for any tire manufacture. The second question is generic also but thanks for your effort with the phone # and web site. I was thinking more along the lines of when we are on the road, traveling. Has anyone used a truck stop tire shop for tire services? I think I switched gears and you didn't catch that.

Rick Y
Old 04-26-2015, 07:42 AM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
I see a lot of warnings about old tires and I agree, up to a point. My tires are covered when parked and I have covered storage at home. My tires came on the coach new and still look new and I cannot convince myself to replace them. I do not want to hear the dangers of old tires on this thread. What I want to hear is from the daredevils that have older tires. How old are your tires?
5 1/2 years old by date code, 18K mi on them, stored outside. I used SunBlock on them just after getting the MH in Sept 2010. I just SunBlocked them again. They look brand new. The SunBlock has dried and cured in the pic below (it is not wet).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0751.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	92592  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires