Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #183

Here is a sequence of event that took place before my blowout. When I bought the MH, there was a leak on that tire and pressure was down to 20 PSI. I had the tire taken off and they removed it from the rim, found no damage. They replaced the valve and re-install. A week later, slow leak again, they again took the tire off and inspected it, no damage found. Three months later, slow leak discovered again, put some air in it. Then after leaving a gravel parking that had some bigger rocks, Bang, blowout.

The tire was old (12 years), had a slow leak, might have been damaged by a rock, got damaged by driving underinflated, some pot holes and rough road. What was the cause? Probably all of this but mainly because of a slow leak. Just saying old tires are dangerous is just not enough details.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 10:45 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Mel, my thought is generic. Not all of us have Michelin's but the inspection practice is still sound for any tire manufacture. The second question is generic also but thanks for your effort with the phone # and web site. I was thinking more along the lines of when we are on the road, traveling. Has anyone used a truck stop tire shop for tire services? I think I switched gears and you didn't catch that.

Rick Y
jerichorick
Understood.
For "tire inspection" I would only go to a tire dealer who sells the brand of tire in question.
However if/when I need "tire service" any shop offering tire service suits me fine.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 08:07 PM   #185

Commercial Member

There is a big difference between a place that sells tires and one that has competent, trained people. Even then the training is limited as the primary job for those at a tire dealership is to sell tires.

There are "Dealers" which are basically franchise or individuals that sell tires.
There are "Company owned stores" where the people are actually working for the tire manufacturer.

Some tire companies may have 1500 'company stores" across the US others may have none just independent dealers.

Even company stores may be OK for passenger & LT but not for anything over Load Range E while other company stores specialize in TBR (Truck-Bus Radials)

Maybe one question you can ask is how does the store handle warranty claims? If they require you to ship the tire off for inspection for a warranty claim then I would go somewhere else for an competent inspection.

Now if you have the time and are on 22.5 size tires and really want to know if the tire is OK then a retread shop would be a good place to go as their livelihood depends on selecting tires that do not have damage.

If your brand is from on of the "big 3' Michelin. Bridgestone/Firestone or Goodyear then call their customer service and tell them you have a 295/75R22.5 LR-G XAQ3 tire or whatever is complete info, and you need a safety inspection. Where can you go to get an inspection with a written report?

If the store won't put it in writing then they aren't willing to stand behind their inspection.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #186

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
There is a big difference between a place that sells tires and one that has competent, trained people. Even then the training is limited as the primary job for those at a tire dealership is to sell tires.

There are "Dealers" which are basically franchise or individuals that sell tires.
There are "Company owned stores" where the people are actually working for the tire manufacturer.

Some tire companies may have 1500 'company stores" across the US others may have none just independent dealers.

Even company stores may be OK for passenger & LT but not for anything over Load Range E while other company stores specialize in TBR (Truck-Bus Radials)

Maybe one question you can ask is how does the store handle warranty claims? If they require you to ship the tire off for inspection for a warranty claim then I would go somewhere else for an competent inspection.

Now if you have the time and are on 22.5 size tires and really want to know if the tire is OK then a retread shop would be a good place to go as their livelihood depends on selecting tires that do not have damage.

If your brand is from on of the "big 3' Michelin. Bridgestone/Firestone or Goodyear then call their customer service and tell them you have a 295/75R22.5 LR-G XAQ3 tire or whatever is complete info, and you need a safety inspection. Where can you go to get an inspection with a written report?

If the store won't put it in writing then they aren't willing to stand behind their inspection.
Now that is what I call a GOOD answer. I will do just that. Thanks friend.

Rick Y
Old 04-27-2015, 07:03 PM   #187

Winnebago Owners Club
As I have commented in earlier posts, I have been looking into the topic of tires for some time now. The many angles this topic has been viewed here has really got me to looking at this issue in a completely different aspect.

I have been really examining the information provided on the Michelin website as a place to get a better grip on what the data charts are telling me. Besides steer, all position or steer/all position, size wheel and maximum load, etc, there are many other factors presented that I had been overlooking. One I hadn't given correct thought to is RPM (revolutions per mile). It stands to reason, the fewer number of turns the tire makes per mile the quieter it will run (given a quiet tread style) and, thus, the cooler the tire will run. Then I started comparing the other factors and found that I can put a slightly taller and wider tire on my coach than what is now on it.

Next is price. When I looked at the Toyo M154 and the comparable Michelin XZA3+ or the XZE2 (XZE2 275/80R22.5 is what I now have and is at full capacity load and psi.) in the 295/80 and 11R22.5 H load I found a $200 to $400 differance with Toyo being the more reasonable. The 11R is 500 RPM vs the Michelin at 501 in the same size. But, all other specs are the same.

Toyo is a good name tire and has been around for a long time. I am now considering this as my first choice. Another drawback of the ZXA3+ is that it is a directional tire and I believe it is a steer only tire, but I am waiting for a reply from Michelin to confirm what their spec sheet says.

In conclusion, buying new tires for our RV's is not as easy as for our cars. When all factors are put into the pool, the tires chosen for any particular rig should be chosen with as much consideration as we give to our personal shoes. One size does not fit all nor is one style satisfactory for every foot. So it is with tires.

Great discussion. Thanks all.

Rick Y
Old 04-27-2015, 07:32 PM   #188

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If I wanted to take my 5 to 10 year old tires to a dealer every year, have them removed from the motorhome and the rims, inspected and then re-installed, I would have to consider myself either Rich or nuts...imagine how much it would cost to have this done every year...? You could buy new tires in five years for what you would spend doing this.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:12 PM   #189

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
If I wanted to take my 5 to 10 year old tires to a dealer every year, have them removed from the motorhome and the rims, inspected and then re-installed, I would have to consider myself either Rich or nuts...imagine how much it would cost to have this done every year...? You could buy new tires in five years for what you would spend doing this.
I had a slow leak in one tire. Went to a Les Schwab and they took the tire off, took it off the rim and inspected it and even installed a new valve stem, all for $0.0! Leak is gone.

About having to do the inspection? Talk to Michelin. You own the tires under the coach. Your choice. Ever change the air filter or service the air drier? Again. Your choice as the owner/operator.

I'll let you know what it coast when I get the full service done on the tires next month in OR by the Les team. Will price the new Toyo's for the front tomorrow.

Rick Y
Old 04-28-2015, 12:04 AM   #190

"Then I started comparing the other factors and found that I can put a slightly taller and wider tire on my coach than what is now on it."

If you go to the larger size will you still have the proper spacing between the rear duals?
Old 04-28-2015, 10:47 AM   #191

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky68D View Post
"Then I started comparing the other factors and found that I can put a slightly taller and wider tire on my coach than what is now on it."

If you go to the larger size will you still have the proper spacing between the rear duals?

Rocky, you are correct. One dimension that must also be checked is the "Minimum Dual Spacing" If the tires are too wide then at the bottom where they bulge they can "kiss" this can lead to a sidewall failure on one or both.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #192

Replaced my Goodyear 22.5 tires today with the same. The old ones were 7 years old and looked fine, but the three areas I will not scrimp are brakes, steering, and tires. Everything else I will just coast to the shoulder and wait for road service.
wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:50 PM   #193

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
I see a lot of warnings about old tires and I agree, up to a point. My tires are covered when parked and I have covered storage at home. My tires came on the coach new and still look new and I cannot convince myself to replace them. I do not want to hear the dangers of old tires on this thread. What I want to hear is from the daredevils that have older tires. How old are your tires?
I'll actually try to answer your question without offering any opinions that you don't want to hear, anyway.
On our present coach, we replaced the originals when we got it and after 10yrs of apparently, no ill effects. They looked good, like yours, except we did find some sidewall cracks inside the duals, but only after removing them.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:43 PM   #194

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
I'll actually try to answer your question without offering any opinions that you don't want to hear, anyway.
On our present coach, we replaced the originals when we got it and after 10yrs of apparently, no ill effects. They looked good, like yours, except we did find some sidewall cracks inside the duals, but only after removing them.
Thank you. That is what I was looking for in answers.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:42 PM   #195
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
It's funny, tires always look pretty good when mounted on the coach. Once you take them off and look at every square inch, they don't look as great.

"palehorse89" brought up a good point. 10 year old tires may look good, but usually start riding pretty hard by then. Every tire develops a harder ride either after many years or after the tread gets down to it's replacement point.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #196

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Kind of a balancing act as Michelin also says it takes about 30,000 miles for tires to break in and give the best mileage.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires