Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #211

Well, my tires are now three days old on the coach--about 25 miles!

Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2015, 08:08 PM   #212

Mine are 3 days old also, and about 10 miles on them. So far holding air which is good because we leave for Yellowstone in 2 days.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:55 AM   #213

Send a message via Skype™ to Annadia1
Mine are 2004 Michelin 30,000 miles, still look brand new, no cracks on all 6, I'm still wondering if I should replace them, because we don't know how long we'll keep the coach
Old 05-03-2015, 08:13 AM   #214

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annadia1 View Post

Mine are 2004 Michelin 30,000 miles, still look brand new, no cracks on all 6, I'm still wondering if I should replace them, because we don't know how long we'll keep the coach
If you never drive the coach you should be OK. However, if you plan to drive the coach with 11 year old tires I want to know where you plan to go so I won't be on the same roads.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 05-03-2015, 09:08 AM   #215

Winnebago Owners Club
Truckers often put on as much mileage in a month as most of us do in a year or a lifetime. When a tire blows on a truck most of the time it is just an inconvenience. No major damage is done and the driver, if not an independent or fleet owner/operator, still gets payed by the hour or mile and the company picks up the repair tab. The shipping industry will not keep a tire for 10 years because the casing retread times will not allow it.

When we blow a tire, more often than not, we have damage and often major. I know the results of a blown front tire. This tire was 7 or 8 years old and had not been properly maintained.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8-26-2012 437.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	93275   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-26-2012 439.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	93276  

Attached Images

Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:03 PM   #216

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Just so I understand this correctly and given that every tire sold in the US has a DOT approval number on it, you're saying that the Engineers and bean counters at Michelin design and construct their tires over and above US Gov. specs. and like no other manufacture?
I would sure like knowing the technical aspects of this and just maybe Michelin would supply this information. Naw, on second thought, they'd say it was a family secret, like a good recipe might be. Thing is, if you've really got something going for you, it's usually registered and protected by a US patent.
You're trying to put words in my mouth, Trop...all that I'm saying is that for myself personally, if I get it in my head that something is the absolute best that money can buy, then I won't be happy until I have it. It doesn't matter if it really IS the best, I do my research and once I'm convinced, I don't care what it costs, I'm going to have that product. Now that doesn't mean that I can't be convinced that something else is better, but you're not going to get me with price alone.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #217

I see a lot of drama in some blowout stories. If we do not know the full history of a tire, we cannot say it blew because of it's age. I think the 10 years life is a guideline only. If a tire does not show any wear and tear, has not run low, was protected from the sun, it could go much longer. A tire manufacturer has to protect himself and a tire dealer has to sell tires.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:44 AM   #218

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidoo View Post
I see a lot of drama in some blowout stories. If we do not know the full history of a tire, we cannot say it blew because of it's age. I think the 10 years life is a guideline only. If a tire does not show any wear and tear, has not run low, was protected from the sun, it could go much longer. A tire manufacturer has to protect himself and a tire dealer has to sell tires.
That was my thinking when I started this thread. I am glad to see I am not alone in my thinking, even if we are wrong.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:15 AM   #219

Send a message via Skype™ to Annadia1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
If you never drive the coach you should be OK. However, if you plan to drive the coach with 11 year old tires I want to know where you plan to go so I won't be on the same roads.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
I,ll let you know
Old 05-04-2015, 08:29 AM   #220

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
It's not drama when you live it. It is life and life happens for many reasons.

Look folks. Just consider this. You are the second or third owner of these tires. Do you truly know their road service? Your tires are 7 or 8 years old. What do you loose by having them removed from the rim, examined for unseen damage and remounted.

The new Michelin XZA3+ series IS a 7 year tire. Like anything out of warranty, it only lasts if it doesn't fail. A 50 year old tire on a farm truck in a field is no problem for the farmer. A 10 year old tire on a RV is according to the folks who build these things, gather information on the failures and build advise statements to PROTECT their customers from any unnecessary, preventable catastrophic failures. Would your be satisfied with your towns school bus system if they only replaced tires when they failed? Why? Same tires in many cases.

At what point do you consider a tire failure bad luck or a poor decision.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #221

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
I've come to one conclusion in all the tire threads, I've read and that is if you have a blowout, it's because of the tire's brand. Unless it's a Michelin of course and then it's due to some other cause, like low air or a road hazard and what I would like to think are the most common causes with any of them.....
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:15 PM   #222

How old are your tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
I've come to one conclusion in all the tire threads, I've read and that is if you have a blowout, it's because of the tire's brand. Unless it's a Michelin of course and then it's due to some other cause, like low air or a road hazard and what I would like to think are the most common causes with any of them.....

The high-end 245/70 19.5 tires for your rig would be about $2500 out the door. In 7 years your cost is $357 annual, $30 monthly. Cheaper ones less than half of that.
Some folks take more risks than I will, and for little money.
Happy Trails

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 09:05 PM   #223

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just put 2700 miles on my new Hercules tires, through much heat,rain and snow they handled and rode great. Less than $2000 out the door, this tire has performed great for truckers is why I selected it, as well as cost. Last tires (GY) lasted 10 years & 49000 miles had 8/32 left, but thought it was time, but I've always kept them covered and parked on wood during storage. My feeling is if tire manufactures say 10 years they're being conservative and if cared for they'll last 10. Obviously you need to inspect them regularly and keep properly aired.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:07 PM   #224

I just installed a temperature/pressure monitor on mine ACE. I don't trust any brand tire any more.

There are a few good pressure monitors out there. I installed Tireminders, expensive but worth it. It alerts you to a slow leak , high temperature. Can monitor up to 22 tires. Camping World is the only retailer besides the manufacturer. I saw on the news recently a coach burn down to the ground luckily no one got hurt but a temperature monitor would have prevented the tire from catching fire. One thing though they are no help if you don't turn them on.

Tags
tires