Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #225
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
I've come to one conclusion in all the tire threads, I've read and that is if you have a blowout, it's because of the tire's brand. Unless it's a Michelin of course and then it's due to some other cause, like low air or a road hazard and what I would like to think are the most common causes with any of them.....
Got a laugh on your sarcasm.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #226

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Got a laugh on your sarcasm.
Glad you enjoyed and one must provide something in the way of humor, now and then....
Now, with your profession, expertise and experience, what would you say that Michelin or other famous tire companies engineer and/or manufacture into their product for making them superior to all the rest?

tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:05 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
If I wanted to take my 5 to 10 year old tires to a dealer every year, have them removed from the motorhome and the rims, inspected and then re-installed, I would have to consider myself either Rich or nuts...imagine how much it would cost to have this done every year...? You could buy new tires in five years for what you would spend doing this.

I would have to say Amen to this.?
I also think the tire bead could be damaged as the demount & mount is by hand using tire irons
Old 05-05-2015, 02:34 PM   #228

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed and one must provide something in the way of humor, now and then....
Now, with your profession, expertise and experience, what would you say that Michelin or other famous tire companies engineer and/or manufacture into their product for making them superior to all the rest?
spin, advertising, brainwashing, price, etc.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #229

How old are your tires?

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Hi Jerry, when we bought our Coach, the tire's were original, 9 years old.........29k on them, looked brand new! No cracking (Michelin's) looked brand new(Stored inside when not in use)........Replaced them........The first time I drove it with the new tire's on it, I thought I had a new Coach(compared to the ride of the old tire's)...........from that point forth, I compare old tire's to new tire's as comparing a old, hard, o-ring to a new one..........give a old , hard o-ring a twist.......it will break, over time, the fresh rubber has lost its flexibility property's, and becomes hard.............the new one, you can tie in a knot. The same with tire's..........The ride with the new tire's was indeed, really noticeable!
Hard, old rubber, will fail.............not a question of "If" ........but when?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Michelin states in their RV Tire Guide and any tire reaching its 10th birthday should be replaced.

"While most tires will need replacement before they achieve 10 years, it is recommended that any tires in service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture, including spare tires, be replaced with new tires as a simple precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even if they have not reached the legal wear limit."

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

I'm good with both of the above, but for the small difference in cost I will do 7 years. Just my choice.
Those that prefer to go longer....may learn the lessons that I learned long ago....maybe not.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #230
Commercial Member

Quote:
I think aauummm is partially correct "spin, advertising, brainwashing, price, etc"

But if you want a serious answer then I would offer this.

Different tire companies compete in different markets so bring different strengths to the market.
Some tire companies have many hundreds of company stores across the US. This provides consistent and easily accessible service and warranty work.
Others have no company stores so depend on independent dealers. This may mean more local locations but at a loss of depth in knowledge and training or personel.

If we look at the OE passenger tire market You will see a relatively small number of brands. In this market the ability to meet ever increasing performance (ride, handling, noise fuel economy etc) requirements. Despite what many think low cost seldom "buys" the business as the tire & suspension engineers at the auto companies have no input when it comes to price but 100% control on judging if a specific specification of tire best meets the desired targets.

Five tire companies may attempt to get "approved" on a specific car but most of the time only a couple end up with the business.
There are of course exceptions. These usually deal with image vehicles. Corvette or Ferrari and other high end cars tend to attract only a single brand tire for final approval. Since the approval process may cost the tire company hundreds of thousands of dollars tire companies have to pick and choose which cars they even want to be on. It also costs the auto companied hundreds of thousands so they also are selective. On high end vehicles only certain brands are even invited to compete. At the bottom end some tire companies don't see a benefit to being on a low end car where the price margin is small and they know the car owner will not buy the same tire for replacement but simply shop for the lowest cost tire available.

There are international quality standards such as the older QS9000 and newer ISO standards. These involve independent auditing of product for consistency etc. For the top car companies earning these standards may even be a requirement such that they will specify which producing plant is acceptable for making the "approved" tire specification.

Very few if any "Private Brand" tires achieve these quality standards so that is one major thing the big tire companies bring to the party that importers can't.

You can take a quick look at the quality and amount of information provided by tire companies on the internet. Michelin, Bridgestone & Goodyear have a lot of stuff. Other small companies may have almost nothing and sometimes even if they do provide information they may not even be able to properly list the tire sizes they sell.

Does achieving an ISO Quality rating translate to the full product line? Its kind of tough for there not to be a company wide improvement even if one specific area is not required to meet the standards. Its really difficult if you were working on two ares of the company production to require stringent measurements for some products say Truck tires but not others like trailer tires given that many of the same compounds may end up in either type tire. Simply keeping track becomes more expensive than making everything to the better quality measurement.

Lots more involved but I got to stop before I swamp the server
Old 05-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #231

Quote:
I think aauummm is partially correct "spin, advertising, brainwashing, price, etc"

But if you want a serious answer then I would offer this.

Different tire companies compete in different markets so bring different strengths to the market.
Some tire companies have many hundreds of company stores across the US. This provides consistent and easily accessible service and warranty work.
Others have no company stores so depend on independent dealers. This may mean more local locations but at a loss of depth in knowledge and training or personel.

If we look at the OE passenger tire market You will see a relatively small number of brands. In this market the ability to meet ever increasing performance (ride, handling, noise fuel economy etc) requirements. Despite what many think low cost seldom "buys" the business as the tire & suspension engineers at the auto companies have no input when it comes to price but 100% control on judging if a specific specification of tire best meets the desired targets.

Five tire companies may attempt to get "approved" on a specific car but most of the time only a couple end up with the business.
There are of course exceptions. These usually deal with image vehicles. Corvette or Ferrari and other high end cars tend to attract only a single brand tire for final approval. Since the approval process may cost the tire company hundreds of thousands of dollars tire companies have to pick and choose which cars they even want to be on. It also costs the auto companied hundreds of thousands so they also are selective. On high end vehicles only certain brands are even invited to compete. At the bottom end some tire companies don't see a benefit to being on a low end car where the price margin is small and they know the car owner will not buy the same tire for replacement but simply shop for the lowest cost tire available.

There are international quality standards such as the older QS9000 and newer ISO standards. These involve independent auditing of product for consistency etc. For the top car companies earning these standards may even be a requirement such that they will specify which producing plant is acceptable for making the "approved" tire specification.

Very few if any "Private Brand" tires achieve these quality standards so that is one major thing the big tire companies bring to the party that importers can't.

You can take a quick look at the quality and amount of information provided by tire companies on the internet. Michelin, Bridgestone & Goodyear have a lot of stuff. Other small companies may have almost nothing and sometimes even if they do provide information they may not even be able to properly list the tire sizes they sell.

Does achieving an ISO Quality rating translate to the full product line? Its kind of tough for there not to be a company wide improvement even if one specific area is not required to meet the standards. Its really difficult if you were working on two ares of the company production to require stringent measurements for some products say Truck tires but not others like trailer tires given that many of the same compounds may end up in either type tire. Simply keeping track becomes more expensive than making everything to the better quality measurement.

Lots more involved but I got to stop before I swamp the server

I'm glad that you recognized that I was being facetious in my post! "Lots more involved"? Whew, the whole tire industry thing sounds way way complicated! I'll just buy 'em and drive on 'em and let you carry all that stuff around in your head, mine's too full too absorb all of that!

I'm into genealogy too but probably not as deep as you (referring to your signature)!
Old 05-07-2015, 11:30 AM   #232

What do you think on this?

My truck shop is suggesting Kumho KRS02 tires for the rear. They sell for $330 Can$ plus $18 for installation. They are normally used as steer, but are all position type tires. They have 22/32 deep tread on it.

Would they make more noise? How would it affect MPG?

There is also a guy selling Sumimoto for half the price, used but with 15/32 tread on, they are normally 16 or 17/32 tread brand new, made year 2012.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:13 PM   #233
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidoo View Post
What do you think on this?

My truck shop is suggesting Kumho KRS02 tires for the rear. They sell for $330 Can$ plus $18 for installation. They are normally used as steer, but are all position type tires. They have 22/32 deep tread on it.

Would they make more noise? How would it affect MPG?

There is also a guy selling Sumimoto for half the price, used but with 15/32 tread on, they are normally 16 or 17/32 tread brand new, made year 2012.
Steer tires will be quieter than blocky drive only tires.

More tread depth gives a % or so of worse mpg but you might get the same improvement by running +10 psi or lowering load 500 - 1,000#

Would not go with used tires except to keep as a spare as you don't know the service history ie. load, speed, inflation, potholes etc.

If you are making purchase decisions based on lowest price then not sure why you would ask about mpg, noise or quality of tires.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:11 AM   #234

Quote:

More tread depth gives a % or so of worse mpg but you might get the same improvement by running +10 psi or lowering load 500 - 1,000#

Would not go with used tires except to keep as a spare as you don't know the service history ie. load, speed, inflation, potholes etc.

If you are making purchase decisions based on lowest price then not sure why you would ask about mpg, noise or quality of tires.
Thanks Tireman,

For the used ones, this is what I am afraid, not knowing the history. And the guy that I would buy from, bought it from someone else in a tire deal from USA.

As I see it would be hard to figure which tires will get best MPG, but steer tires would not be as noisy. It would depend on tread dept but probably thread design as well?

Unless I chose an agressive design, I guess it probably does not make a big difference on a $2000 fuel cost trip.

I also checked some Yokohama and Goodrich yesterday, just $200 more for 4 tires. I have read that the Yokohama ride nice but might cause tail wagging on some MH

Not easy to make a decision. As for Michelin, they are too pricey for my old MH and I have read too much about cracking so these are out of my list, I would be very mad to see my pricey tires start cracking.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #235

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

(I wish I knew your name. Was never comfortable calling folks by their handle once I got to know them. I think we all know you now.)

Indirectly you answered one of my questions. With the "G" range tires I now have I can't increase the tire pressure as you suggest in the above example. But, as I have stated in previous posts, I MUST shed some weight.

I see that the Michelin "cracking" issue has popped up again. I am the second owner of this coach. One side of the coach has clean side walls. The other has some weather checking. Why? Because the tires have not been properly protected from the sun. For the most part I have kept them covered so I know damage had been done before I got the coach and is now appearing.

Many RV manufactures put Michelin on as standard equipment. That equates to many, many more Michelin tires on the RV road than other brand. By shear numbers, more problems will be heard of in this brand. But, considering how many tires by Michelin are on the road? Are they truly problem tires?

Take the time to view their tire list for fleet trucking. Just what I printed from FMCA Michelin Advantage program, there is over 4 pages of tires! Yes, they are of all sizes but there are many design choices also. This company is showing an active interest in meeting as many of the truckers needs as they can by employing many engineers to come up with tires of many different applications. This is reflected in the prices. They are higher. And most truckers don't get 10 years out of any one tire. They put too many miles on in a year and most tires can only be retread so many times and many tires are damaged by poor road conditions. But they do get choices.

My point is simple. Don't discard Michelin because of rumors of mass problems. If you can't justify the price, that is acceptable. Any other reason is without proof is not fair to Michelin or you.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 10:23 AM   #236

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidoo View Post
Thanks Tireman,

For the used ones, this is what I am afraid, not knowing the history. And the guy that I would buy from, bought it from someone else in a tire deal from USA.

As I see it would be hard to figure which tires will get best MPG, but steer tires would not be as noisy. It would depend on tread dept but probably thread design as well?

Unless I chose an agressive design, I guess it probably does not make a big difference on a $2000 fuel cost trip.

I also checked some Yokohama and Goodrich yesterday, just $200 more for 4 tires. I have read that the Yokohama ride nice but might cause tail wagging on some MH

Not easy to make a decision. As for Michelin, they are too pricey for my old MH and I have read too much about cracking so these are out of my list, I would be very mad to see my pricey tires start cracking.
I have to say, I would NEVER consider USED TIRES on a motorhome and secondly, when I read this stuff about Michelin tires cracking and then I read where the same people say they would never have tires on their coach that were more than 7 to 10 years old, who cares about some minor cracking that begins to show at 7-10 years...? You're going to get rid of the tires long before their life is up anyhow. My tires are ten years old right now and are just beginning to show cracking on the sidewalls.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:51 AM   #237
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
(I wish I knew your name. Was never comfortable calling folks by their handle once I got to know them. I think we all know you now.)

Indirectly you answered one of my questions. With the "G" range tires I now have I can't increase the tire pressure as you suggest in the above example. But, as I have stated in previous posts, I MUST shed some weight.

I see that the Michelin "cracking" issue has popped up again. I am the second owner of this coach. One side of the coach has clean side walls. The other has some weather checking. Why? Because the tires have not been properly protected from the sun. For the most part I have kept them covered so I know damage had been done before I got the coach and is now appearing.

Many RV manufactures put Michelin on as standard equipment. That equates to many, many more Michelin tires on the RV road than other brand. By shear numbers, more problems will be heard of in this brand. But, considering how many tires by Michelin are on the road? Are they truly problem tires?

Take the time to view their tire list for fleet trucking. Just what I printed from FMCA Michelin Advantage program, there is over 4 pages of tires! Yes, they are of all sizes but there are many design choices also. This company is showing an active interest in meeting as many of the truckers needs as they can by employing many engineers to come up with tires of many different applications. This is reflected in the prices. They are higher. And most truckers don't get 10 years out of any one tire. They put too many miles on in a year and most tires can only be retread so many times and many tires are damaged by poor road conditions. But they do get choices.

My point is simple. Don't discard Michelin because of rumors of mass problems. If you can't justify the price, that is acceptable. Any other reason is without proof is not fair to Michelin or you.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
My real name and email and background is there for all to see on my blog (picture info & oldest few posts)

All who are trying to decide aboth tire brand. As you travel down the road every time you stop or get fuel next to a HD truck glance over and note the tire brand the truckers are using. They can't afford down time so select a reliable tire.
This refers to fronts which would be acceptable in RV use. Trailer tires and drives are likely to be retreads so the "design" name on the sidewall is of no help as the retread pattern or drive pattern doesn't apply for RV use.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #238

My brother-in-law works for a trucking repair company, specifically tires. They are going to get me 6 Continental Tires for 2100 out the door. Will do this most likely in July, right after the holiday.

Tags
tires