Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2015, 06:18 PM   #15

Country Coach Owners Club
My non-expert opinion relies on frequent use of the tires. Our rig moves at least once a month or more often.

If the rig moves every three weeks, so that the rubber gets frequently flexed, I suspect the aging process is slowed.

If parked in the sun for three months or stored for six months, the tire's rubbers do not get squished to move their oils around and could dry out more rapidly.

All that said, I replaced my fronts at 7 years due to small cracks in the sidewall. We are still running the rears in year 8 with no visible signs of aging (the tires, not me) when crawling around under the rig for a lube job.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2015, 06:31 PM   #16

How old are your tires?

I amortized the diff tween 7 & 10 years and decided that the chump change diff was not worth the total cost of even one flat, let alone the possible collateral damage.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
My tires were 10 years old when I bought the motorhome. They were low miles and looked perfect. On year 11 we blew an inside side wall on the inside dually. Thankfully there was no damage but replaced all 6 before going out again.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:11 PM   #18

8 years and will be running them all season long.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:41 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Michelin says after 5 years have the tires pulled off the rim and examined by a good tire guy for internal damage. This should be done every year up to 10 years and then replaced. I had a 7 year old Michelin blow on my last coach. $17,000 in damage. That was just from the tire. I did not loose control and parked safely. On this coach I now have I have installed the TST 507 TPMS. This is a new addition and is taking some getting used to. But, if I use it correctly, it should alert me before I have a problem.

Happy trails.

Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:56 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post

On this coach I now have I have installed the TST 507 TPMS. This is a new addition and is taking some getting used to. But, if I use it correctly, it should alert me before I have a problem.

Happy trails.

Rick Y
If working correctly it should alert you to everything EXCEPT a sudden unexpected blowout.

At least you have one and are using it. There are way too many people who don't use anything.

Back on topic...

I have two Michelin's on the front and four Bridgestone's on the rear.

They were all birthed in March 2010.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-28-2015, 09:28 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have 2010 date code on my Hankook. I had them inspected when I purchased the motor home last June.

They look to be in great shape with good tread on them at this time.

I plan on having the fronts balanced this spring and will have them inspected again.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:35 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The Magna we just bought has the OEM Michelins on it, some are dated '07 and I had planned on replacing them but the engine work comes first, and at $19,000 (even after Cummins kicking in $10,000) the tires will have to wait a couple months.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:49 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
I had a set of Goodyears on my 1999 F150. I replaced them with new tires in November 2014. They still looked OK, a bit of surface cracking and a good amount of tread wear. I had about 95,000 miles on them.

Was a bit surprised when the old tires seemed to have more traction than the new Goodyear tires that replaced them.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
The Magna we just bought has the OEM Michelins on it, some are dated '07 and I had planned on replacing them but the engine work comes first, and at $19,000 (even after Cummins kicking in $10,000) the tires will have to wait a couple months.

OUCH, that's gotta hurt!!!
Old 03-29-2015, 05:48 AM   #25

Well our new to us 2000 Coachmen has 2007 on it all the way around so hope i can get to ten like some have posted.
Will be putting around 6000 miles on in Oct. Wish me luck.
If blow out cost me $17,000 will be total loss only paid 13,000 lol.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
It would be more than a total loss if unfortunately you should perish in the aftermath from the blowout.

That happened to three people driving in a small caravan of friends on I-10 freeway in the Florida Panhandle when the right front tire had a blowout.

The coach ended up off the side of the road down an embankment and into a stand of trees. The impact ruptured the LPG and the rest is history.

To me when it comes to tires, which are the ONLY things between you and the road, is to use common sense along with proper care, inflation and monitoring.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
It would be more than a total loss if unfortunately you should perish in the aftermath from the blowout.

That happened to three people driving in a small caravan of friends on I-10 freeway in the Florida Panhandle when the right front tire had a blowout.

The coach ended up off the side of the road down an embankment and into a stand of trees. The impact ruptured the LPG and the rest is history.

To me when it comes to tires, which are the ONLY things between you and the road, is to use common sense along with proper care, inflation and monitoring.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
You can find horror stories about a lot of things if you look for them. Do you know the age of the tires on the vehicle in question? Do you know they did not hit a hazard in the road? Other threads have reasons to buy tires often. I am curious about older tire life.
I see some good responses here from older tires. I am beginning to think the rigs that require lower air pressure have a longer tire life, but too soon to form an opinion. Thanks to all who have responded.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
You can find horror stories about a lot of things if you look for them. Do you know the age of the tires on the vehicle in question? Do you know they did not hit a hazard in the road? Other threads have reasons to buy tires often. I am curious about older tire life.
I see some good responses here from older tires. I am beginning to think the rigs that require lower air pressure have a longer tire life, but too soon to form an opinion. Thanks to all who have responded.

Your Sea Breeze probably has 16 inch rims, so top $ tires would be under $3000. Over 7 years the annual cost would be about $430 per year. In 10 years, $300 per year.
IMHO, an extra $130 per year, near 10 bucks per month, is not a lot to be safer.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires