Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2015, 06:17 AM   #197

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
Thank you. That is what I was looking for in answers.
You can return your parachute if it doesn't open. Feel good with this answer?

Please, don't play Russian roulette with your tires. Scotch wisdom is not always the best rule of thumb.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2015, 06:25 AM   #198

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Kind of a balancing act as Michelin also says it takes about 30,000 miles for tires to break in and give the best mileage.
May be true.

The more a tire wears the better the mpg BUT the older a tire is the stiffer the rubber becomes which would probably mean poorer mpg

30,000 on a 1 year old tire is not the same as 30,000 on a 10 year old tire.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:35 AM   #199

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tires with a lot of miles on them will get better MPG then new tires.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 12:22 PM   #200

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Tires with a lot of miles on them will get better MPG then new tires.
Yep, That's what I said. The tread portion of a tire is responsible fo a major portion of the energy loss so less tread > better fuel economy

Of course Less tread also gives worse traction

No such thing as a free lunch
Old 04-30-2015, 02:28 PM   #201

American Coach Owners Club
Why would anything near normal fuel consumption even enter in to the overall cost of Motorhome ownership, when the depreciation per mile keeps increasing dramatically and even more so, when it's sitting in the driveway, doing nothing?
It's a given that good looking tires are hard to throw away and not something we are used to doing in the past with our automobiles.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:51 AM   #202

Best Tires for a Class A

We have a 2000 Alegra (recently purchased it) and I believe the tires are about ten yrs old. My husband and our service center could not find dates on them. We have never had blow out because my husband has always been good about replacing and rotating them. He wants to buy all new tires before we head out this summer and is wonder about some feedback from people that have experience with their tires. He has been looking at Cooper and Dunlop. Anyone have an opinion of what is best? Thanks Barbara
BarbsLamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:32 AM   #203

My Bridgestone tires (replacing cracked side wall Michelin) are now 1 day old to me but 5 months old by tire date.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:47 AM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbsLamps View Post
We have a 2000 Alegra (recently purchased it) and I believe the tires are about ten yrs old. My husband and our service center could not find dates on them. We have never had blow out because my husband has always been good about replacing and rotating them. He wants to buy all new tires before we head out this summer and is wonder about some feedback from people that have experience with their tires. He has been looking at Cooper and Dunlop. Anyone have an opinion of what is best? Thanks Barbara
First the DOT number is on at least one side of your tires and if it so happens that all of them are on the inside, then crawl down under and read the last four digits. The first two of these four are the week number and the last two are last two digits of the year.
As for new tires, many would agree on Hankook and one that doesn't charge so much for it's name alone.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:10 AM   #205

Commercial Member

My take on "Best Tire" is on trailer applications but there is a link there to Motorhome applications.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:28 AM   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbsLamps View Post
I bought two RM120 255/70R/22.5 Cooper for front tires. They are recommended for RV and they do fine so far but I only have 3000 miles on it. Cooper has manufacturing facilities in USA, Mexico, Europe and China, the one I bought are made in China.
Old 05-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #207

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have always found Michelin tires to be the best all-around tires available. I'm sure that Goodyear, Toyo, Hankook, etc. make good tires and are much cheaper to purchase. I learned a long time ago (several times over) that getting a bargain isn't always the best thing if you are not happy with it. I have even purchased something that salesmen have convinced me was "exactly the same" as what I was looking for, and then had to re-purchase what I originally wanted because I wasn't happy with it. No, in my humble opinion, if you are convinced that Michelins are the best tire, you will never be happy with another brand.
Old 05-02-2015, 12:14 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I have always found Michelin tires to be the best all-around tires available. I'm sure that Goodyear, Toyo, Hankook, etc. make good tires and are much cheaper to purchase. I learned a long time ago (several times over) that getting a bargain isn't always the best thing if you are not happy with it. I have even purchased something that salesmen have convinced me was "exactly the same" as what I was looking for, and then had to re-purchase what I originally wanted because I wasn't happy with it. No, in my humble opinion, if you are convinced that Michelins are the best tire, you will never be happy with another brand.
Just so I understand this correctly and given that every tire sold in the US has a DOT approval number on it, you're saying that the Engineers and bean counters at Michelin design and construct their tires over and above US Gov. specs. and like no other manufacture?
I would sure like knowing the technical aspects of this and just maybe Michelin would supply this information. Naw, on second thought, they'd say it was a family secret, like a good recipe might be. Thing is, if you've really got something going for you, it's usually registered and protected by a US patent.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #209

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical36 View Post
Just so I understand this correctly and given that every tire sold in the US has a DOT approval number on it, you're saying that the Engineers and bean counters at Michelin design and construct their tires over and above US Gov. specs. and like no other manufacture?
I would sure like knowing the technical aspects of this and just maybe Michelin would supply this information. Naw, on second thought, they'd say it was a family secret, like a good recipe might be. Thing is, if you've really got something going for you, it's usually registered and protected by a US patent.
Tire Selector | Michelin RV Tires

Pick a tire and look at the spec sheet. As with anything, just because a spec is met it does not indicate how good the materials are when the spec was met or what the spec will look like if tested after service time is factored in.

I was just talking this topic over with some fine, trustworthy folks who deal in Toyo, Michelin and other brands. They indicated they have fewer problems with Michelin than they do with the other brands. If you follow my posts in this thread I have been all over the map on my choices. I am back to Michelin BECAUSE of this conversation I had with this very knowledgeable gentleman. For anyone traveling through Oregon, Henderson's Line-Up Brake & RV Inc. is fantastic. Don is the service writer and is truly knowledgeable on the products he deals with.

Rick Y
Old 05-02-2015, 05:42 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Tire Selector | Michelin RV Tires

Pick a tire and look at the spec sheet. As with anything, just because a spec is met it does not indicate how good the materials are when the spec was met or what the spec will look like if tested after service time is factored in.

I was just talking this topic over with some fine, trustworthy folks who deal in Toyo, Michelin and other brands. They indicated they have fewer problems with Michelin than they do with the other brands. If you follow my posts in this thread I have been all over the map on my choices. I am back to Michelin BECAUSE of this conversation I had with this very knowledgeable gentleman. For anyone traveling through Oregon, Henderson's Line-Up Brake & RV Inc. is fantastic. Don is the service writer and is truly knowledgeable on the products he deals with.

Rick Y
I agree to a degree, but still don't have a clue as to their construction techniques and indeed if they are superior.
I do know with personal observation that they had some horrendous sidewall cracking back in 02 or so.
Having said all this, our rig still had them at 10yrs and they looked good all around. The GY's that I replaced them with weren't worth a crap by comparison. Also I've been pleased with running 4 Hercules on the drive axle for some time now and have been all over the country with them. Now, you can't hardly find a cheaper genuine Chinese tire, than a Hercules nowadays.
As for brands, check out some of the semi's and they're all over the place, so in essence they're taking bids and much like the auto industry does. With the RV market and why you see Michelins so much, as an OEM tire, I'm most sure it's for hoping the owner will replace with them again and would really like to know what the house manufactures pay for them, opposed to what it would cost us. Michelin just looks at this as an advertising expense I'm sure and might be glad for a small profit or to just break even.

Tags
tires