Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2016, 09:34 AM   #29

I have a rotation plan. Current tires are New, 1yo and 2yo. In six years we start the cycle again.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2016, 09:59 AM   #30

Ours is stored under cover but does get some afternoon sun on the right side of the coach. Michelins came on it new in 2002. Tread looked great but there was some sidewall cracking when i had them replaced late 2015. Thirteen plus years without any problems but i definitely won't chance that again.

Got the west facing tires covered now and will see how everything looks in about 8 years or so.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:17 AM   #31

My current tires are 14 months old. They are Firestone FS 560's. They currently have about 2000 miles on them.

These tires replaced the original 2006 Goodyear G670's. The GUy's had about 15k on them.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I bought my 2000 F53 Southwind mid season, I knew nothing about RV's outside of being an ex-tech for 20+ years and many of them with Ford Dealerships. Tires looked pretty good to me with minimal cracking and plenty of tread with even wearing so I thought tires should not be an issue anytime soon.

Well I learned about date codes in the DOT here on IRV2, you would think I should have known about date codes sooner being in the business but tires usually wore out first.

The tires were Goodyear G159 and original (15 years), dated 31 week of 1999. First thing I did when I got her out of winter storage was change all 6 tires. What a job that was since I did them myself, about 130 lbs when mounted. On and off the RV, then the tire changer and then on to the spin balancer which was just about maxed out. (Me and the equipment!)
Randalpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:50 PM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Some of mine are dated late 2007.

Called today and got prices through the FMCA Advantage program for 4 365/70 and 4 315/80 22.5's installed, balanced, rebuild the present metal stems, 8 new SmarTire sensors and programming comes to $6,763.48. About $1500 under the retail price at the same tire dealer.
I called the Les Schwab in Junction City and gave them the go ahead. They have two of the 365/70's in stock but Michelin warehouse is out and there is NO ETA on when new ones will arrive! They were going to call around and see if there were some available somewhere else.
Could be another six months or so.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 07:07 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
You know what's funny? A couple of the tire dealers I talked to at the logging expo said to make sure that no matter which dealer you end up choosing, make sure they actually buy your old carcasses for recapping. As long as they're not weather checked, they're acceptable for recapping. They might have a 10 year limit on age, but not necessarily. This was from a Bandag dealer.

I'm not advocating recaps for MH use, but back when I drove semi, we always ran recaps on our trailers, and often on the drivers. The one exception would be when front tires were replaced when worn half way. We'd run them out on a trailer. So your tires are not dead at 6 years, but if you want to replace them then, more power to you.

Food for thought.
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:08 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by imob View Post
The reality though we do not like it is that tires more the 5-6 years old are DEAD! and I mean DEAD! It does not matter if you put tire covers on them or if the unit sat in temp/humidity controlled environment for the entire time. They are DEAD and every time you take it out you are taking your life in your literal hands. It is a simple breakdown of the chemical composition of rubber.

It is no different then the real reason Paul Walker (from Fast and Furious) died.
Paul Walker's Porsche had outdated tires at time of fatal crash - latimes

We put a lot of load on our tires and they are under used compared to normal uses for commercial tires. Most times these type tires wear on tread LONG before they can wear of age. It is not pleasant. I just spent $2300 for 6 19" Continental's. It is what is it. Spend the $ or risk the rig.

Traveling 90 mph on a city street didn't help much.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:37 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoejeep View Post
Good discussion and thread title. Just bought our coach in August. Toyo tire code is 4209, so are just turning 7 years. If I didn't know better, I'd figure them as almost new. Absolutely no so sign of checking on the sidewalls nor in the tire grooves, tread is excellent. Our town just hosted a logging expo and I went and talked to 5 different tire vendors. All agreed that Toyos are a great tire. Safe life expectancy varied from 6 to 10+ years, depending on future checking, so I'll keep a close eye on them. I watch pressure and usually take a walk around at any stops and feel for excess heat build up. Hope to make the drive to Alaska within the next four years and will replace (probably with BFGoodrich) before then.
If the TOYOs are as you say, why the switch to Goodrich??
Old 09-24-2016, 11:48 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerboy View Post
If the TOYOs are as you say, why the switch to Goodrich??
Made in Japan vs made in USA (although I've heard Toyo are now US made). Also Toyo supposedly has a stiffer ride. But this may change by the time I buy. Ultimately, price may affect my future tire purchase, too.
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:50 AM   #38

After looking at my bank book, my tires aren't old enough.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:53 AM   #39

Appalachian Campers
Heartland RV Club
Send a message via Yahoo to cbramsey
Oldest tires on my coach were placed in service December 2015. Newest tires placed in service May 2016.
2015 Ford F450 Platinum DRW , 2017 Heartland Landmark 365 Charleston Me, Wife, "Canines" Lucy [Chihuahua/Jack Russell Terrier mix] & Fawn [Chihuahua] and “Felines” Pixel & Pollux [Manx], Iris, Pepper & Max [DSH], Mystique [DLH]
cbramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:45 AM   #40

F=2012
r=2010
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:55 AM   #41

So I might just replace the front tires fist and then rear a few months the road, in order to avoid a large hit to the budget. Good idea or bad?
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by efstewart View Post
So I might just replace the front tires fist and then rear a few months the road, in order to avoid a large hit to the budget. Good idea or bad?
I think it's a good strategy... I replaced my two front in 2012, just replaced the other 6 and in the process I rotated the 2012 in front to the tag.

My original plan was to do two every two years and always stick the newest in the front. At $600 each, it's easier to absorb!

Tags
tires