Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2016, 10:01 PM   #15

My Ohtsu tires are 2010. The les schwab tech said, that they look good. I will probably replace late 2017
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 10:40 PM   #16

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine are 6 year old continentals, still look great. I keep them covered when the coach is not in use. We have a 2011 Vista, and these were the original tires. Probably will replace next year, just because the calendar says to.

We have owned 2 other motor homes, both used. They both had Michelin tires. On both coaches, they were cracking badly. Worse than any tires I have ever seen. On our first coach, the inner dual on the passenger side blew out, and steel from inside the tire wrapped around the axel, and cut the brake line, which emptied the brake fluid for the rear brakes.

I replaced the Michelins on the first coach with Toyos. They were great tires, they had a great ride, but only had the coach for 2 years, so can't speak for how they held up over time. When we found our second coach, I made the dealer replace the cracked Michelins or it was no deal. They put new Continentals all around, and they were great tires that served us well.

So I was pleased when I saw Continentals on our newest coach, and also that tire covers came with it. I will never get inside a coach that has Michelin tires unless I'm visiting friends, and I'm guaranteed that the coach will not be in motion while I'm in it.

I have always been cautious about any major purchase for any item hat is heavily advertised, such as Michelin tires, or Progressive or Geico insurance. I base buying decisions on facts and past experience. Marketing hype doesn't figure in to it, so I'd just as soon not help them pay for their commercials. Add to that the fact that a Michelin tire tried to kill me and my family, it will be a cold day before I would ever put a Michelin on as much as a bicycle.

Good luck, and be safe.
Old 09-21-2016, 11:09 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I replaced my 5 year old (badly cracked) Michelin's with Toyo's 4 years ago. Toyo's ride great and still look new.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 01:25 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Good discussion and thread title. Just bought our coach in August. Toyo tire code is 4209, so are just turning 7 years. If I didn't know better, I'd figure them as almost new. Absolutely no so sign of checking on the sidewalls nor in the tire grooves, tread is excellent. Our town just hosted a logging expo and I went and talked to 5 different tire vendors. All agreed that Toyos are a great tire. Safe life expectancy varied from 6 to 10+ years, depending on future checking, so I'll keep a close eye on them. I watch pressure and usually take a walk around at any stops and feel for excess heat build up. Hope to make the drive to Alaska within the next four years and will replace (probably with BFGoodrich) before then.
Tahoejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
Mine are 6 year old continentals, still look great. I keep them covered when the coach is not in use. We have a 2011 Vista, and these were the original tires. Probably will replace next year, just because the calendar says to.
We're still looking for our DP MH and will keep it in enclosed storage but I never thought about keeping tires covered in storage. Is that really necessary and does that really help preserve them? How many of you do that?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 04:52 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just buying a 03 Monaco Neptune DP and dealer said they were alright. RF was 07, RR outside was 02, couldn't see the rest. We agreed to split the cost of new ones as 9 and 14 years old is way too much to trust our lives on. Usually I replace at 7 to 8 years no matter what.
noeldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 05:16 AM   #21

6 of 8 are august 2005, the two front were replaced in 2012.
The 6 rear are being replaced tomorrow, Michelin again XRV 305/70.
No cracks probably because stored inside since purchase in '11
Friend mechanic says they are still safe, coach would pass safety check so he said keep them on but I figure 11 years (date code aug 05) is good service!
Old 09-22-2016, 06:11 AM   #22

I replaced all six of mine just short of the seven year mark. They still looked good but being new to the RV world was getting too close to the seven year mark to be comfortable. I know the coach had sat for six to eight months before we purchased it. Maybe longer. Did not think sitting added life to the tires.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #23

picking up oour new '07 coach on saturday after the PDI. the michelins are from '06 and dealer already paid $5700 for fluids and had to change sector gear.. so i dont know if they are gonna give me new ones..had quote from OK tires and i like the bridgestone ECOPIA 295/75 22.5 and 16 ply for two tires its 1143 with tax mounting disposal and balence. not to bad...he said they have a program sale discount was $93 per tire...
Old 09-22-2016, 01:59 PM   #24

I replaced our steer tires at 8 years old just a couple months back. They were in excellent condition inside and out, and I have no reason to assume the drive and tag axle tires would be any worse (same brand, all replaced at the same time by previous owner and all date codes within 3 months of each other).

p.s. Replaced XZA2's with new XZA2's and the ride difference was substantially smoother. Same tire, but new rubber vs. old rubber I guess

For the next year and a half or so I'll buy new steer tires and have the younger tires rotated back through the drive and tag axles - that will make my oldest tires just under 10-years old when I replace them. That way the freshest tires are always on the steer axle and I can spread the cost of tires across multiple seasons.

The last two "old tires" will go on the roof for our trip to Alaska in two years
Old 09-22-2016, 02:15 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Old Scarey tires

We had out motorhome parked in a neighbors driveway the last 2 years and had it on a permanent site for the 3 years before that. We purchase the motorhome 5 years before that and these were the tires that were on it when we got it. When we decided late this summer to get back into it and do short (150-200) mile trips, I knew that we HAD to replace the tires, The Michelins had great tread on them ,but There was no way that I was driving highway speeds with them on. I bought Hankooks for the front and Milestar for the rear. Took it on a 100 mile each way trip to the NY Giants game Sunday and what a ride. Beautiful.
1bomoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:13 PM   #26

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
We're still looking for our DP MH and will keep it in enclosed storage but I never thought about keeping tires covered in storage. Is that really necessary and does that really help preserve them? How many of you do that?
Haven't been able to build that garage yet, so mine sits outside. I firmly believe that protecting them from UV is well worth keeping them covered. So inside a garage probably wouldn't buy you much. I've also been told that ozone can be harmful to tires. I said well I'm old enough to remember the days that we were told the we have a hole in our ozone layer that is going to end the world. That was 40 years ago, and it seems we are still here, and the hole appears to be gone? so I'm not sure how much stock I put into the ozone, or what you could to stop it.

I've also heard that it's a good idea to separate your tires from the ground, or concrete, if it is going to be sitting for any length of time. So I have pieces of 3/8" pressure treated plywood that I painted with deck paint that I park on. I've also been told that it's a good idea to drive the coach once a month to keep the tires from getting flat spots. I'm more than happy to do that.

The person that is telling me about tires is my cousin. His dad was a trucker, and so has he since he was tall enough to reach the pedals. I ask him one time what he thought the best brand was. He just laughed and said look for yourself. Every time you see a tractor trailer, look at the tires. That's all he said. He wouldn't give me a brand.

So I started looking. I have seen more continentals than every other brand combined. That's good enough for me, unless I find some Toyos a lot cheaper.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:28 PM   #27

The reality though we do not like it is that tires more the 5-6 years old are DEAD! and I mean DEAD! It does not matter if you put tire covers on them or if the unit sat in temp/humidity controlled environment for the entire time. They are DEAD and every time you take it out you are taking your life in your literal hands. It is a simple breakdown of the chemical composition of rubber.

It is no different then the real reason Paul Walker (from Fast and Furious) died.
Paul Walker's Porsche had outdated tires at time of fatal crash - latimes

We put a lot of load on our tires and they are under used compared to normal uses for commercial tires. Most times these type tires wear on tread LONG before they can wear of age. It is not pleasant. I just spent $2300 for 6 19" Continental's. It is what is it. Spend the $ or risk the rig.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:30 AM   #28

Mine were exactly 10 yrs old when I replaced all 6 last fall. they still looked new, had no cracking and no wear issues; and were always inspected & inflated properly from day 1 since I bought this MH new. Any tires that come to me used from a previous owner, then I replace no later than 7 yrs depending on the wear signs.

No big rig truck/RV tire manufacturer says their tires are "dead" after 5-6 yrs. They all say begin having them professionally checked after 5-7 yrs, replace when certain wear or cracking signs appear and always replace them after 10 yrs regardless of condition, even an unused spare.
Car & trailer tires have a shorter life span.

http://www.michelintruck.com/assets/...e_RV_Tires.pdf

just an example that tire age is only one factor, I just had my first tire blowout in 30 yrs of RV'ing on one of my brand new tires. It looked like I ran over something in a construction zone, but was hard to say with the tire completely shredded by the time I got stopped from 60 mph.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires