Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2015, 10:20 AM   #15

Just getting rolling at that age! Lots of life...

Many pre heavy smog regulated higher end DP's have actually seen a strengthening of their values. I was told by a few seasoned RV'ers, to pay more attention to the 'foundation' of the rig, and not worry too much about the items that were easier to change around when wear or desire to alter time comes around...

I know our former 98 Bounder, which had been brought back into bristo mechanical condition and well cared for exterior - is still going strong by now it's third owner. He uses it mostly around the local San Diego area mountains, but last time we talked - he'd taken his 92 year Mom on a trip thru Yellowstone and Tetons. He did change out the rug, and added an MCD knockoff type set of day/night shades all around. But all of the appliances remain the same.

If you like your coach, and it is not nickle an diming you along the way - no reason to worry about the age.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2015, 11:57 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Just indicative of the "throw away society" we've developed into. How many 10 year old cars do you see? If you lease, you get a new one every 3 years.

Some people, rather than taking care of something, will just trade it in for a rig that they don't have to worry about personally and pass on the issues to a dealer under warranty.

Everything old seems to be put aside. This explains why I'm out of work after 35 years writing software.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
My rig turns 13 years old this year, just turned over 100K miles and it still looks really good. I spend a lot of my spare time doing work on it to make sure it is maintained as well as I can. I plan on having it for another 10 years.

I guess if I won the lotto I'd buy another newer rig but for now I'm happy.
atta boy...
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplante4 View Post
Just indicative of the "throw away society" we've developed into. How many 10 year old cars do you see? If you lease, you get a new one every 3 years.

Some people, rather than taking care of something, will just trade it in for a rig that they don't have to worry about personally and pass on the issues to a dealer under warranty.

Everything old seems to be put aside. This explains why I'm out of work after 35 years writing software.
It is marketing. If we don't buy, salesmen cannot sell, salesmen don't sell, manufacturers don' produce, manufacturers don't produce, people are unemployeed and there is no profit for CEO and shareholders.
Old 01-02-2015, 12:57 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think there is such a thing as too old. There is such a thing as too used. As in "all used up".
However I think the old style of Airstream trailers that they would always be able to revived to new condition.

earlier this week I delivered a brand New 5er to a farm. when i arrived at the location the owner had the old trade in(an 06 Montana 5er) hooked to his truck.
They asked me if I could back the new one in barn Next to the Combine. so I did. (they had a blacktop drive right to the door of the barn.!!)
then they told me the their old one was in Real nice shape inside. I asked if they always kept it inside the barn, they said every winter.
I asked the reason they were trading,...... they said it was starting to look aged because the stickers on its outside were starting to peel.
It was like NEW inside. It was due for some new tires though.
somebody is going to get a very nice 06 Montana 5er.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 12:58 PM   #20

Our coach is now entering it's 21st year. Interior is in great shape, the chassis was completely renovated in 2013, and we just take care of issues as they come up. If it wasn't for the fact we want some of the features of a newer coach, we would keep it--I have no doubt if we continue to take care of it, it would last another 20 years.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #21

Rexhall Owners Group
Bought our 99 Rexhall Aerbus last April. It was 15 years old then. It had 72,000 miles on the clock and the body was in excellent condition. That was the reason we bought it. Since owning it, we've put on 8,000 miles and expect to put on another 10,000 this year. Hopefully it will hold up. Other than new tires, shocks and a typical maintenance items, it's been relatively trouble free. Had to replace the genny fuel pump and the black tank. The black tank was quite expensive, $2,400. But with a going in cost of low retail, I'm still very comfortable with the cost to own so far.
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:14 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
well as you can see our ride is going on 15 years old and at 130K miles still has the balls to go down the road at 75 MPH pulling the trailer. Only thing we did was update all the TV, stereo, head lights, directional, camera, injector pump, brakes and switched to synthetic tans fluid. I don't have all the polution contols found on MHs just few year afterwards and I don't have to meet the higher EPA standards imposed on the new coaches.

Now I also like other things that are aged out sort of speaking. Both my 72 EJag and my collection of 70s two stroke Suzuki Dirt Bikes. (73/185, 74/185, 75/rl250.) When the DW and I travel, we generally take one of these bikes and ride around town. You want to see a bunch of drooling men standing looking at an old but perfect antique bike just get one of these OLD motorcycles. They won't even notice your beautiful young wife.

That is the only thing I like younger ---- my dear wife.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
I asked DW "how old is too old?"......She said "your almost there"
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm too practical to squander the cash necessary to be driving a newer one. My old 19 yr old Vectra meets our needs just fine. We don't drive a lot of miles each year, but have never backed down from a trip due to the miles. We only have about 64 K on it now, after over 4000 miles traveled this summer on a single trip. It has depreciated most of what it will, and it would cost a lot to replace it, even with a quality diesel unit that is 10 years old (and no thank you I'm not interested in a gas unit.... been there done that). In the 7 years we've owned the Vectra, it has never let us down or had any serious problems. It will be due for a new set of tires soon, but such is life.

I do all my own preventative maintenance, and know exactly what I have. If you purchase a used unit, even a few years old, you really never know what kind of problems you're buying. It would cost around $100k difference to buy a good used A DP that was new enough to make it worthwhile. For that kind of money, I could do a BUNCH of repairs/upgrades to my beautiful old MH..!
Old 01-02-2015, 03:56 PM   #25

I wouldn't use 10 years as a hard and fast rule, but I would say that I would not buy a MH older than 10 years old unless it was a real good deal. Not saying I wouldn't own one, I just would want to start newer than 10 years and keep it for however long if it still suits our needs. I just saw a 1998 thor hurricane for sale for $14,000 it was in great shape. I would buy it if my wife was not so particular and we did not have plans to go far from home. I would not buy it to go cross country or snow bird in but it would be perfect for the 100-300 mile trips we do.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #26

I'm pleased to see all the posts from those of you with "older" coaches. I am solidly with you when I say that I look forward to many more years of great times on the road in our '06 Mandalay. It is rapidly becoming an "older" coach, but it is still like new to us!
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
How Old is Too Old?
You mean the owner or the coach???

If you take care of things they can last a long time. The truck chassis that most MH are built on has a design life of 200K. The house part, is the problem. Most are sticks and staples covered with aluminum and ans water leak makes the wood dissolve.

Well, we came up a few short of 12K last year, but we did break a drawer slide. The coach is 42yo now but it only has 150K on it.

Matt
I'd like to know what MH was manufactured with "sticks and staples" since the mid-70's; certainly none in the last 10yrs. Nearly everything made from the early 80's on has a 1.5" steel or aluminum coach structure covered by fiberglass or a fiberglass/luan composite. My former '78 GMC was ahead of its time and a trend-setter with an all aluminum and non-laminated fiberglass construction.
I'd guess there are very few wood structured motorhomes in functional condition today (outside of a museum).
Old 01-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO older is not a problem if the coach is in great condition, records, etc.

The issue is the model changes and support. Many manufacturers have moved on, some manufacturers have gone out of business or been purchased by other companies and phased out. Not all of them readily supply parts for older units. Engines have evolved and in some cases parts may be starting to get difficult to obtain. Appliances are changing and replacements may not readily fit requiring modifications.

How much will one spend doing the mods? It will depend upon the value to yourself. Upgraded features are a nice selling point but generally fail to return the investment in the mod.

Not any issues that are insurmountable but something to consider when purchasing or refurbishing an older unit.