Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2015, 07:07 PM   #1

How Old is Too Old?

As I have furthered my "RV Education" over the last several years, I have noticed a recurring theme about motor homes that I'm having a tough time with. That theme is: "A 10-year old motor home is a worn out motor home." or words to that effect. Yet I see scores of posts here from motor home owners with rigs that are a lot older than 10 years. They are obviously using, traveling, enjoying and living in motor homes that are supposedly "too old."

Our Mandalay will reach her 9th birthday this year and I cannot imagine getting rid of it. It may be approaching the point where some consider it too old, but most of it is still like new to us!

So what's the real story? Is 10 years REALLY too old? If not, where does this "10 years is too old." mantra come from?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2015, 07:18 PM   #2

Hell if I know 😜 I've been looking at some 15-18 yr old Beaver and Country Coach RV's and they look damn near brand new! I'm glad these older rigs are still in great shape, they are all I can afford...

Old 01-01-2015, 07:27 PM   #3

How Old is Too Old?
You mean the owner or the coach???

If you take care of things they can last a long time. The truck chassis that most MH are built on has a design life of 200K. The house part, is the problem. Most are sticks and staples covered with aluminum and ans water leak makes the wood dissolve.

Well, we came up a few short of 12K last year, but we did break a drawer slide. The coach is 42yo now but it only has 150K on it.

Matt
Old 01-01-2015, 07:30 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My rig turns 13 years old this year, just turned over 100K miles and it still looks really good. I spend a lot of my spare time doing work on it to make sure it is maintained as well as I can. I plan on having it for another 10 years.

I guess if I won the lotto I'd buy another newer rig but for now I'm happy.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #5

Official iRV2 Sponsor

There have been several recent threads discussing the fact that quite a few of us think our older MH's have some features that are better than anything available today at virtually any price. Mine has ~95,000 miles at 15 yrs and has a better powertrain than anything that can be bought for <$500k. I'm sure not planning on trading it anytime soon.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:40 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
As I have furthered my "RV Education" over the last several years, I have noticed a recurring theme about motor homes that I'm having a tough time with. That theme is: "A 10-year old motor home is a worn out motor home." or words to that effect. Yet I see scores of posts here from motor home owners with rigs that are a lot older than 10 years. They are obviously using, traveling, enjoying and living in motor homes that are supposedly "too old."

Our Mandalay will reach her 9th birthday this year and I cannot imagine getting rid of it. It may be approaching the point where some consider it too old, but most of it is still like new to us!

So what's the real story? Is 10 years REALLY too old? If not, where does this "10 years is too old." mantra come from?
I don't really know. Possibly because there are some campgrounds that reserve the right to refuse you entry if your coach is older than 10 years old.

We bought our coach in 2008, which means it was 13 years old. It was in good shape. We have slowly renovated it, updated it to our desires and tastes. I'm mechanically inclined, so power train and chassis servicing are right up my alley.

I feel shocked to realize that our lovely coach is now almost 20 years old! It's in far better condition than it was when we bought it, but I'm sure there will be some that will view our coach as too old to use.

So, when will we stop using this coach? I don't know.

How old is too old? I'm 62 now. I suppose if we were fortunate enough to be able to keep coaching for another 15 years, at some time we may wonder if we should travel and live in something newer.

But for now, we enjoy what we have!

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 07:41 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In most cases when 10 years rolls around, all warrantees have expired (other than life time) and required maintenance is getting costlier.
All rubber is aged and needs replacement such as hoses, belts, seals, gaskets, roofs, tires. Appliances like refrigerators, AC's and furnaces tend to wear out and need repair or replacement. Suspension parts like shocks, ball joints, bearings, universal joints, and brakes need replacement. Fluids and filters need replacing - Transmission, differential, brake, coolant. Repairs parts for interior, exterior and engine are no longer made and unavailable and in many cases have to be fabricated. Due to the sun's UV damage, exterior decals need replacing or partial painting done.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #8

15yo and traveling

We have a 2000 35' Windsong and just completed a 13,908 mile adventure from NY to Alaska including California over 5 months. The only incident was a cracked windshield in Nevada from a freshly resurfaced road with rocks. I have replaced every belt, hose and fluid, including brake fluid as precautionary maintenance. I have upgraded filters to K&N, suspension with sway bar mods, front and rear trac bars and interior LED lighting. Most enjoyment besides travel, we own it, no bank partnership. The older the MH gets, it does help to DIY.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:44 PM   #9

How Old is Too Old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattC View Post
You mean the owner or the coach???

Matt
LOL!!

I was talking about the coach.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:00 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I can't agree with 10 year old coaches being too old. Our previous coach was about 15 years old when we passed it along to another person, with several years of life remaining. We now have a 2002 coach we purchased at about ten years of age. It's in great shape both house and chassis. Just over 30k miles on it. Near perfect to us for our usage (once a month weekenders and a couple three week long trips during a year). This coach will be with us another few years until retirement when our usage will increase to part timers and a larger and DP is planned to purchase. The current coach at that time will be a great coach for somebody next to enjoy with years of life remaining. And the DP we buy will be several years old and planned to last us well past its 10th birthday.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:01 PM   #11

Besides the wear and tear issues that need to be addressed in "older" coaches, a lot has to do that financing is difficult to find for rigs over 10 years old. With many of the higher end rigs still commanding $100K price or so, finding a buyer can be difficult. Purchasing a slightly newer unit even though it maybe more expensive, is sometimes easier to do.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:08 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ours just became 10 years old this fall (9/16/2004 build date). Molded fiberglass; built like a boat. Looks just like it did when it left the factory. A newer rig would have been more expensive and most likely the filon/luan (or azdel) sandwich. True, things like the fridge and other rubber items will need replacement but it seems that good "bones" of a rig make it well worth it to stick with it. There are a lot of great rigs out there (and junk) of all vintages. Some great ones are no longer made (Beaver, Chinook, etc) and thus the only option is vintage.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 10:23 PM   #13

It all depends on the owners. I've known people where 5 years was too old... and others where 20 years looked great.

Steve
Old 01-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #14

I agree depends on the owner, care, and original quality of build. I have a 1996 HR navigator and not only does the inside still look like new, but several of my friends have newer lower cost rv's that have more things break than I do.