Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-30-2011, 09:44 PM   #29
I would not be too worried about going before 2007. The years 2001 - 2007 were very good ones for the RV industry and some really fine motor homes were made then. I would be more concerned with finding a motor home from a reliable seller that took excellent care of his baby. Or you can do like me and buy one from an unreliable seller and get a ROCK bottom price. Allegro Buses come in many sizes. Make sure the one you look at has the CCCs you need for your travels.

B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
I may be in the minority, but I become less impressed with each model year of coach. Personally, I wouldn't go older than 2004... but I don't see myself going newer than 2008/2009. I'm very pleased with my coach. I keep it stored in my 62x100 heated shop and redefine OCD in terms of maintenance, so I'm hoping it outlasts me and I don't have to go through the pain of buying new again.

I would take an older WELL cared for coach over a new one from a shaky / bankrupt manufacturer with low employee morale any day. That's just me.

Good luck with your search!

2007 Newmar Mountain Aire - 4528, Custom
24' ATC Enclosed Car Hauler
LindyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:56 AM   #31
My 1999 ForeTravel, looks and works just like a new one. You can do a lot of updating,repairs and traveling with an older coach, for what those big payments are on a 2 or 3 year old coach that still has all those little issues. Good luck on the hunt.
Bruce Linda and Zoey
1999 ForeTravel U295
012 orange Jeep Wrangler
bbeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:15 AM   #32
One thing I'll throw in here too: If you're planning on financing (all or part), check with the lenders first since several have restrictions on how old of a unit they'll finance. For example, I think Essex is 10 years old; Bank of America 5 years old, etc.. I know this is a personal decision (some pay cash, while some would rather keep the cash in the bank and finance instead), but helpful to know the parameters if you do want to go that route.

I"m still researching motorhomes too. Things I'm finding out is that you sincerely hope for a good build team on a new unit since you truly have no way to tell (it IS new after all); and condition/upkeep/maintenance vs. age of the older one take s precedence.

Great original question and one I also share!

Best of luck to you!
2016 American Coach Revolution 42T
2004 Jeep Wrangler Sport

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:50 AM   #33
Different strokes for different folks. I like vintage.
Glenn & Lisa
1986 Wanderlodge PT-40
RAGster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #34
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
No matter what you look at make sure you compare the size of the storage bays and the ability of the MH to carry weight...You will be fulltiming and you will never have enough if you like to carry tools, familly memoribilia etc etc etc.
Rich Oliveria
Full Timer 9/22/10
'02 Monaco Windsor PBDD 41ft.
Sticks4748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:50 AM   #35
JSPERRELLA - Different factories have their own good and not as good years. For example, some years Monaco on some models had a trailing arm issue. Bluebirds improved greatly when they started using modern diesels. Country Coach had some very good models from just before when they were taken over by National. Many makers suffered some issues in the super recession starting in 2008.

You mentioned Allegro Bus and right off the top of my head I don't recall any specific years that were better than others, but that is my lack of knowledge. If it were me doing the buying I would contact the rv consumer group and get information on the specific coaches you look at. They specialize in computing CCCs, chassis length, and other issues and are not influenced by ad revenue. I used them heavily in the selection of the last coach we bought and IMHO their help was very useful.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #36
Damon Owners Club
With all the improvements in engine technology each year, and since
you are going to go full time, I think you should buy new.
This way you will know exactly what you have, and a warranty.
macandphyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #37

Still more to consider, if you are shopping outside your home state, check out the dealer, and get a copy of every piece of paper you'll be expected to sign before you put a penny on the table, even before you look at what they have for sale. Many sales agreements are slanted in the dealers favor, and the salesmen will tell anything to get you to sign. Then once signed up, any thing that's not in written into the sales agreement means nothing. Buyer Beware ! Also any unit without service records may not qualify for any type of extended warrenty, until all services are up to date.
99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
One thing that hasn't been brought up in this thread is decor.

When I was pushing my dw for an upgrade (I wanted a dp with a bedroom slide) everything we looked at older than 05 or so got me a "why would u want to spend so much to move sideways?"

Cloth interiors, floral printed, generally dated decor were the culprints.

And whn I said "I can change that" the answwer was always "if we're gonna spend that much it better be perfect."

Our 2008 Monaco Knight, purchased from lazydays, is in fact (knock on wood) perfect. We got very lucky, hope you do too.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #39
Master of Disaster

I'll actually throw in one thought for slightly older coaches -- especially in the diesels -- that the newer you get, the more emissions stuff they have on them. From what I've seen there's a good argument to sticking pre-2004 on diesels

SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #40
We purchased a repossessed 2004 coach in January of this year. We have absolutely no regrets. The coach is wonderful. Getting ready to head from the west coast of Florida to Long Island, NY then to Pigeon Forge, TN then back to Florida. Shortly after that we are heading to Key West, FL for a week. Our baby will take us safely to our destinations and keep us in the comforts of home.

There are great used coaches out there.
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #41
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If you are going to go full time, I'd get a diesel, it will out last you and do better if you head to the mountains. Newer gets you the six speed Allison, the quiet Onan and the engine improvements, however, as noted earlier, I would not get a brand new one with all the DEF and other emission controls that comes with them. We looked at lots of DPs that were mid 2000 models, the majority were dirty, reeked of stale tobacco, had worn out carpet, had bad tires, and generallly looked rode hard and worn out. If you have lots of time, you'll find a good one for you, just be patient.
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:58 PM   #42
Monaco Owners Club
You make a good point. Our Cummins 8.3 is a simple mechanical injection system, and there's no electronics to fail. It just keeps running, and running, and running, .........

Jim & Kate
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36', 2005 Honda Pilot
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote