Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2011, 07:11 AM   #57

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
That's one good lookin coach!
Thank you very much!
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #58

We bought a 1989 Foretravel 36' Grand Villa with 63,000 miles on it for $19,900 last August. It had been super well cared for, was stored for eight years, had new fridge, microwave, Kingdome sat dish, rebuilt generator, $30,000 paint job. We spent the winter in Texas, came home and on the way a valve stem cracked. This cost us $561 for a new tire. This has been our only expense over $100 excluding fuel. So, Take a look at the quality coaches and compare materials, workmanship and condition before you buy. Age is immaterial if the condition and price are right.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
Sssorry 55K is the mileage 4444k was the price plus 3' to get it to pass .5 inspection.

Am I just extra dense? None of that makes sense except the mileage at 55k
My Blackberry typing is very bad

$4,000 is what I paid for the 89 driftwood plus $3,000 to pass MD inspection,
nazoomer
nazoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:19 PM   #60

Very Nice!
nazoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
If it looks old then perhaps it's too old. There are many examples on this forum where folks have taken great care of a unit they bought new 10, 15, 20 years ago and have stored in a building, carefully maintained the mechanics and systems, washed, waxed and caulked the unit as required.

I have also seen folks with brand new units tell of horror stories with the quality of their expensive purchase.

I buy older units and prepare myself to spend an additional sum getting it in shape.

So it all depends on maintenace.
I have a 15 yr old Damon Intruder that the previous owner took great care of . It has 37,000 mi. on it and is like new inside and out, I wouldnt hesitate to go to Ak today.Never had any problems except the Koehler gen. And I think I have that problem sorted out. We're happy campers.
Happy Motoring
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:21 AM   #62

If it hasn't already been said, make sure it has slide-outs. it makes all the difference in the world!!! You should be able to get a 2 year old for close to half the price of new.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
RE: Slide outs

Slides are really a personal thing. My wife and I had several 5'ers before getting a MH. The trailers had slides from 1 to 4 so we had plenty of experience with them. When looking for a MH we decided slides were not a benefit for us. We do not need the space, slides add weight to the coach, add more places to leak, add yet another maintenace item, and #1.... add expense. We spent time looking for a high end motor coach that did not have slides, was in excellent and was well priced.
We found it and didn't spend much money. Slides are not for everyone.
92hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92hummer View Post
Slides are really a personal thing.
Slides are not for everyone.
Apparently they are for my DW. We don't have any slides now and are getting ready to leave for a 3 month trip. Stopped at a local RV place and looked at a 40' 3 slide coach. The DW said "We are not leaving here with out it..." I told her I'd have to rob the the bank that owns it to be able to buy it. She said "I'll buy ya a new mask".... If I don't post for awhile you'll know why....
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:52 AM   #65

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My slide out is in my storage bay. When i bring the GK's, I slide it out, put it on the ground and erect it. Not much extra weight, leaks no oil, needs no power. It's a tent and the kids love it. Slides are cool on the RV lot but I really don't need them.
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:50 PM   #66

It's no surprise that there are many replies to this post.

Our current MH is 21. She's legal to drink in all states. 2007 should still have that new car smell.

If you go older, used, whatever, then you can expect to have some occasional repairs, pretty much just like a new one. The older, the more occasional repairs you can expect. If you don't have the interest in, or the skill set, to do repairs then the newer the better. I personally, wouldn't shy away from a 2007 DP. Really, other than servicing I would just want to be sure that the tires had been replaced since then. Blow outs suck, ask me how I know.

DP's, as a general rule, are well built. Unlike lots of Gassers, ask me how I know. A 2007 model still has many years of good service. Well, a 2007 class A gasser has lots of years left in it too. Heck, I think my 1990 gasser still has lots of years left in it and so far, I'm right.
falconbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #67

Just keep in mind that the diesels engines are great engines and can really handle more mileage if kept up properly and were actually used and not in storage for years... Also consider the other things like the overall condition of the interior of the coach, appliances, and the generator... as all of those things will probably go before a well made diesel. If you plan on financing that may be another thing to consider, most banks will not finance over a certain number of years.....
dtlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #68

Vintage RV Owners Club
if I had the money, i'd be lookin for a foretravel. any year. get a dp. but since i don't have the money i'll stay with my Ole'Koot. it's 34 yrs old and will outlast any new coach built today. just my oppinon, or my 2c's worth which ain't worth nothin anyway's. lol.

Outlaw
Old 07-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeobumm View Post
You get more house for your money in an older coach. I have freinds that drive 25 year old Bluebirds and would give up their kids first. If you are the least bit mechanically inclined, you can do most of the maintenance yourself. Check out this forum Wanderlodge Owners Group - Powered by vBulletin
Wanderlodge ahh yes My dream was to own one but right now I'm stuck with a Damon gasser. Its a good coach but its no Wanderlodge, Now thers a tough realiable coach..So I shall dream on....
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:21 AM   #70

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
Wanderlodge ahh yes My dream was to own one but right now I'm stuck with a Damon gasser. Its a good coach but its no Wanderlodge, Now thers a tough realiable coach..So I shall dream on....
Ha, Wanderlodge. Anything that moves down the road that is 25 years old, has an 8v92 two stroke oil burner, has a 300 gallon diesel tank, 300 gallon fresh water tank, 15kw Kubota Gen, Twin 3k inverters, 100 gallon black, 100 gallon grey, and four air horns.... is a serious HARD CORE land machine.
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote