Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2011, 01:23 PM   #1

How old is too old?

My wife and I are in agreement about buying a diesel pusher motor home and leaning towards an Allegro Bus in the 40 foot range. But we are still having issues on the age of a motor home. We will be purchasing in the first quarter of next year. We anticipate going fulltime 12/12/12 as that will give us nine glorious days to enjoy before the end of the world on 12/21/2012. My wife says no older than 2007. I would consider older depending on the care, maintenance and amenities of the motor home. We would appreciate your comments and experiences.
JSPERRELLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2011, 01:32 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The newer the better and can I have it on 12/22 since you won't be needing it?
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #3

Well let's see . . . I'd say no older than 2007!
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:09 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
We bought ours this year and it's a 2007. Tiffin products are nice and they have a great support system.
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #5

Ours is a 2004 Beaver and we bought it in 2007. It is still running fine and giving us a lot of joy and taking us a lot of fun places.
jollyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:35 PM   #6

Well lets see, I'm 70 & think that is way too old! Oh, maybe I didn't read the post all the way through.
Rapid Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
When is an MH too old? It is too old when it requires more upkeep than the depreciation of a newer MH. It is too old when it no longer fits your needs and lifestyle. It is too old when you have to worry about going out on the road for a several week or several month old trip. It is too old, even a 2010, when it was not maintained and treated well.

We moved from an 07 to a 03 and really like the additional 8 feet of space and all the bells and whistles! Yes, it was a move backward in years but a huge move upward in the coach!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #8

If it looks old then perhaps it's too old. There are many examples on this forum where folks have taken great care of a unit they bought new 10, 15, 20 years ago and have stored in a building, carefully maintained the mechanics and systems, washed, waxed and caulked the unit as required.

I have also seen folks with brand new units tell of horror stories with the quality of their expensive purchase.

I buy older units and prepare myself to spend an additional sum getting it in shape.

So it all depends on maintenace.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We just brought a 2006 and we are fine with it. I think the slides may be better that the older ones.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #10

We could afford a newer coach than what we have, but the one we have left a very sizable chunk in the bank that we didn't have to touch. Depreciation is practically non existent on it, and I had (am having) a blast fixing it up. That's me though. I had the time, the skill set, and the patience to carry this project through to the point where I can trust it to go anywhere I might be interested in taking it.

Point is, the call you're making is about a lot more than the maintenance that been done on a coach, or the year it was built. A lot of it is about what kind of an owner you intend to be. Will you be doing all of your own service work, or making lists of problems to take to a dealer? I would think the more you're able/willing to take on the older the coach could be. With a set budget, that older coach could represent a LOT nicer/more coach than a newer one might be? FWIW
Old 06-28-2011, 07:18 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You and your wife will know when you find the right motorhome. Look at all that interest you - it doesn't cost anything to look at models older than 2007.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 03 which we care for gingerly looks and acts new----just depends on how it was cared for----I agree with Tomwalt-----look at what you like---then decide.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 PM   #13

Slide-outs are a good thing unless you go really long. I'm not sure when they started to show up - maybe 1997 or so? Our 32-footer has a bedroom slide and a dining room slide and we figure we could full-time in it without a lot of grief, particularly if our nearly 14-year-old lab wasn't with us any more.

It's a front-engined gasser - we couldn't find a DP we could afford!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:28 PM   #14

I've got a 1990... I paid for it cash and it didn't hurt. I put in a few thousand to update and fix it and it runs and drives great and is really comfortable. All the amenities including the cabinets, floor, appliances etc are first class and real quality products. It's been on the road for over 21 years and I suspect it will still go another 21. So, I say find what "fits" you and don't worry about the year or millage. If you are looking at a DP the motor will out live you.... and P.S. From what I see on the forum newer models have way more problems than the older ones....
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote