Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2015, 01:54 PM   #1

How old is too old? and other advice for newbies, please

OK, generally speaking, how old is too old for a first purchase? I can do a lot of the interior type repairs, but mechanical and frame (motor, generator, chassis or axle etc) are beyond our capabilities. Do we start low and look at something like this https://orlando.craigslist.org/rvs/4973870449.html and expect some repair dollars (assuming a basic check by an experienced RV guy/independent service) or do we just bite the bullet and set a higher [price] floor?

I haven't reached the seller yet, but I'm guessing we'll find out that at best this unit has been sitting. That of course means replacement of hoses, belts, wipers, likely tires, etc. My other concern as we look would be the roof - my gut is telling me life will be better if I avoid a rubber roof. Do you agree, and if so does this automatically mean I should be looking for a coach no older than "X" and/or only specific brands?

I have to say, we have been looking for a couple of months now and somehow I feel in some ways we know less than when we started I know I don't really want to take on any loan for this RV. Is it realistic to think we can stay at or below $30,000 (incl initial repairs such as new hoses, etc) for an RV (31'-38', at least 1 slide) that won't bankrupt us in the first year, or should I resign myself to paying more than that?

Part of my concern is I'm not sure how much use we'll actually get out of it. We have rented Class As and I owned a travel trailer years ago, so it's not a totally new experience. However, we are raising a grandchild (means school schedule time restrictions) and DH is a brittle diabetic with other health issues so I'm not sure how he will fare with his health in the next few years. We have all intentions of frequent use (we have been visiting our timeshare at least once a month and are planning lots of summer travel) but who knows?

We have no specific timeline, so I suspect that helps us keep looking and hope to find (and recognize!) the right one
kdzgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
10 different posters will offer up 10 different opinions and each of them will be spot on. $10K isn't a bad price ...... to me at least. Last year we sold a '94 Bounder (31') for $9K. Could have held out for minimally more but we had already found what we wanted. As far as needed repairs ..... 'Nuther tough question. If it has had good care you might find no problems or minimal issues. The first MH we bought had sat for at least 4 years. Now that one did need some help. Not overly expensive but it was repairs I was willing to tackle. Had I taken it to a dealership it would have cost me more than I paid ..... literally.

In cases like this I always recommend that you have an experienced repair person check it out. That thought had already crossed your mind so from my perspective you are on the right track. Understand though that not even the best repair guy is gonna catch it all.

I did a quick look in the NADA book and I couldn't find one that says 37'. I found 35 and 38. The first 38' with a slide is valued at between $16,600 and $20000. Personally I'd look long and hard at this one if the NADA is the same model.

Either way GOOD LUCK with your hunt.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #3

I would say that if the owner will let you have the unit checked out by a RV inspection company and that inspection came in good it would be reasonable. But you will need new tires and that bill alone would be well over $3000 for 8 tires so there is a bargaining chip to lower the price a little.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:27 PM   #4

Hoddy
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 02:30 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
10 k seems like a reasonable price for what has been stated.

I think this is the first year for the 10 cyl.

I would bring all the maintemnace up to date unless he can prove it. (tranny flush and oil, all the filters replaced.

New plugs and connector boots. (make sure they are the correct updated ones)

And TIRES. As mentioned by Jergeod, this will be a 3k hit if they need to be replaced. This could also be a bargaining point to maybe shave another 1k off the price.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 03:56 PM   #6

agree

i agree with homeless

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 04:20 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Looks like a nice unit. When we bought our 93 Kountry Star, I did a long test drive, checking cruise, AC, tag axle operation,gauges etc. At that point I was happy. Bought it and paid cash. The first stop was my Chevy dealer for a full inspection and full drive line service. The only real problem was the tag axel hardware was no longer made and it cost almost 2K to fix when it broke. We just traded it for our DP.

Hope you find the one you want

Tags
advice, newbie, newbies