Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-10-2014, 07:49 AM   #29
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
The only reason we are thinking about trading up to a new(er) coach in a year or two is because we have found several parks in the last 2 years that have restrictions on the age of the coaches. Most after looking at ours says no problems they are just concerned with not having the ones with cardboard for windows staying there. But there is one we did find that does not care about anything but what the age on the registration says, yes they want a copy of the registration just to make sure of the age. They won't go by what you tell them or looks, they want written proof.
want a copy of the registration? Man we would avoid then like the plague what a bunch of snobs. Would not stay there and our coach is 6 years old.

The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2014, 09:20 AM   #30
well what ever coach you get will age out. They will not have a huge number of people there soon either. I have never had an issue with my Foretravel but if they say it is too old to get in I will pass them by.

42' Foretravel U320

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #31
If you like your current rigs basic layout and mechanicals meet your needs - then don't worry about the age. The few parks that may have a 'firm age' rule, regardless of how well it looks from proper care - can easily skipped.

We bought our rig at the age of 7 years old, due to meeting our layout needs (large galley was just what the DW was looking for), it also hit the bulk of my mechanical 'wants' too. We followed my own advice when looking. We picked out budget range, dropped model years to retain the higher quality level coach we desired. As said by other posters, it provided the foundation we were looking for.

So far the 're do' we've made to the coach include:
-6 Road Kings shocks
-Super Steer Motion Control Units
-Grey to Black water pump tap (Move Grey to Black to expand total Grey to about 100 gallons.)
-Aero Turbine Exhaust 5050XL
-1200W Solar Panel; Midnight Classic 150 Controller; 800AH Bank of Lifelines
-Magnum Pure Sine Wave 2800, and all of the appropriate components, including BMK Meter
-Norcold 1200 Amish Cooling Unit; SS30 Halon; Extra fans; Smoke Detector
-Tapped into LP tanks plumbing to provide Heat Buddy with larger supply inside the coach
Interior Cosmetics
-Brass to Satin Chrome finish handles, fixtures, lights, etc
-Vinyl wallpaper lightly sanded, seams reduced as much as possible, and high quality painting job by my DW
-Valances removed and recovered, outstanding job - again by the DW
-LED TV's; Oppo BD95 Blue Ray and streaming audio, Bose 3-2-1 to be replaced soon
-Custom cabinet changes, with a good job by Temecula Valley RV in matching the Country Coaches Cherry Wood finish

I'll stop here. But my opinion is that it is better to have an older higher quality coach and chassis that 'works for you', then it is to have a coach young enough to make a '10 year old rule'.

On 10 year old rules parks. I've only been asked at one park, and my answer to the check in person is 'That's the coach outside that window, and I don't recall what the year is. Do you want me to go out and look at my paper work?' (I knew I was at nine years old, but also had the impression this parks rules were more about keeping lack of ownership pride coaches/rigs out of the park - then it was about a 'firm age'.) The gent looked out the window, and asked me if I remembered my License Plate for registration?

And gang, I'm OK with parks having a '10 year age rule' available to the staff if they feel it is needed...

Best to all, have fun, be safe,
Roo II is our 04 Country Coach Allure 40'
OnDRoad for The JRNY! Enjoy life...
Smitty77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #32
I hope mine out lives me.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:14 AM   #33
Originally Posted by John S. View Post
well what ever coach you get will age out. They will not have a huge number of people there soon either. I have never had an issue with my Foretravel but if they say it is too old to get in I will pass them by.
Agreed! I just bought this 1998 Holiday Rambler Endeavor DP for 35k.
58,000 on the Odo, one owner with records including every tank of diesel, air filter and durations with mileages.
This is my 4th coach and plan on being in this one for a while!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rambler.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	58019  
kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #34
Nice looking coach. I made the mistake of wanting a few feet longer. Well, I started out with a 35 foot driveway so that was the reason for the 34 foot. I plan on keeping this coach for a while longer. I have had it 7 years already and hope to have it at least another 7, lord willing.
42' Foretravel U320

24' Bornfree
John S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:57 PM   #35
National RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
On the issue of buying new vs. used, I have decided that I will buy used. The depreciation charts that I have seen for Class A RVs has a 5 year old RV valued at about 50% of original MSRP. A 10 year old is at 30% of MSRP.

For my future purchase of a used DP class A, I wonder how old is too old for purchase?

For now, my favorites are the Entegra Cornertone and possibly a Newmar.
There are a lot of variables in answering your question. The main one is what are you looking for? If you have a floor plan and engine setup you like, then look for that and see if you can afford it. Older will be cheaper but make sure you are getting what you will be happy with. Old or new, a bad decision will make you an unhappy camper.

We bought our 2001 Marlin DP last year with only 28K miles. Marlin was made by National RV, which is no longer in business, but was one of the best made MHs made at that time. A year later we are still under 30K miles as we don't usually take long trips but shorter ones thru the year. I have done a lot of remodeling to it some of which was elective and some was needed (ie old carpet to engineered wood floor). I have done all the work myself and it looks like a new MH inside and out. It is worth more now than when I bought it. If you are interested, you can see some of the work I did here:

zzjea's photosets on Flickr

Oh, and I paid less than a third of the new price for the MH. I am retired and like projects so the remodel helped keep me "out of trouble". Your situation may be different.

I am on my laptop now writing this and watching satellite TV as we are "camping" in the 40' MH, with 2 slides, new hardwood floors, new residential Samsung fridge, new LCD TVs, new window treatments, satellite HD TV, WIFI, cell service, full hook ups etc. and in the middle of a national forest service park north of Houston about 50 miles with beautiful weather. What more could I ask for.

BTW, I prefer state and national (forest service) parks over any commercial campground. That's just me. Nature over too close neighbors. So the age factor won't be a problem for me. Also, since we are retired, we "camp" during the week when almost everybody else is at work so we have the place to ourselves. Nice and quiet. JMTCW

John & Deanie, Corky and Benji (best buddies)
2001 National Marlin 390 DP
"Try to live up to your dog's opinion of you."
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
Great information in this forum. I'm looking forward to the next 7 years of reading and learning from all of you. My research for my future of fulltime RVing just started this year. I hope to purchase a 2013 or newer model for my RVing around the year 2021.

My preliminary research very quickly got me interested in the Mountain Aire from Newmar. But, then, I quickly got disappointed with the performance of the 450 HP Cummins in that unit ... Then I found out about the Cornerstone K3 Spartan Chassis and 600 HP engine and I fell in love with that one. In addition, the wife loves the woodsy and warm earthy interior of the Cornerstone.

So, as it stands now, in 2021 or so I may be looking for a used 2014 Cornerstone, unless the quality of used Entegras do not hold up with age, as JFXG points out (Thanks John/Diane).

Newmar may change the power plant and Chassis in the Mountain Aire in the future. If so, I may consider a used Newmar for my future coach.

Love this forum!
We have a 400HP ISL Cummins in our coach. We have owned a gasoline powered coach in the past and there is no comparison. Our 42 ft coach powers up steep grades very well, and unless you plan on living in a mountainous region and going up and down grades often, a 600HP engine is not needed. 600HP is great if you can afford it, sure, but maintenance will be higher, it takes up more room and is more tightly packed in the coach. I think our coach would be underpowered with the older 300HP engines, but our turbocharged 400ISL is fine.
Bobby & Darrell Mukaisu
2005 Monaco Windsor 40PST 400HP ISL Cummins
2014 Chevy Equinox LS - Full Timers Since 10/1/2010 and Loving it!
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #37
Georgie Boy Owners Club

The more I figure out what we want to do for our future of full-timing, the clearer my selection of RV becomes. The DW and I plan to sell home base and put some of that money towards a quality used DP.

I'm currently working on a Sun-Tracking solar power system that will mount on the top of the RV so we can Boondock anywhere in the US and Canada and still have plenty of power. Because of the extra weight of the panels and plenty of batteries needed, I'll be looking for tag axle RVs and a front axle with 17K+ pound rating.

Also, I want to be able to go anywhere, up and down any mountain, while towing a future Hybrid Jeep Wrandler (diesel + electric). So, a 600 hp coach, with at least 1800 ft-lbs of torque, is going to most likely be the one to get.
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #38
We have been full timing in our American Eagle for two years now. We bought it when we started full timing, updated some fixtures and hardware and have stayed on top of the maintenance issues. We paid less than a third of what it cost new back in 2002. When it is time to upgrade, so we can get four slides and a 1/2 bath, we will probably go with a 7 year old coach. I agree with the other posts here. Go with quality. If the foundation is strong and well built, it should last a long time. Systems will break and fail due to age, but they are replaceable.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #39
Georgie Boy Owners Club
jake21, your point of view is how I see it as well. A quality manufacturer, with a track record for older homes still on the highways, with quality chassis and engine ... Everything else in the home can be replaced and upgraded for a lot less money than buying new
Old 03-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #40
"Formerly Diplomat Don"
Newmar Owners Club
My first thought when you said that you're looking toward your first purchase in 2021, is maybe you should be keeping an eye out for an electric, hydrogen or nuclear powered coach!
Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star - All Electric - 450 ISL
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #41
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Hi Don,
Yes, I do have plenty of time to research coaches before I buy my next one. I have a 1988 Georgie Boy now. I bought that one used a long time ago to find out if my wife and I would enjoy RVing. We found out we love it. So, now it is a matter of hoping that we make it to retirement (2021), to join the rest of you in the full-timing lifestyle. Seven years is a long time in the RV business, so we may indeed have access to hybrid coaches in 2021. That would be sweet!
Old 04-06-2014, 06:15 AM   #42
Newmar Owners Club
Dutch Star

We just brought our 2001 Dutch Star home and it ran like a dream.Looking forward to our retirement and seeing as much of North America as we can in the next 15 yrs.
The best part in no more dang winters in Ontario.

WERNXTC is offline   Reply With Quote

class a