Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #71

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
The problem with the 10 year old dogs is there is no real floor plan difference. Had a beaver Santiam and then a Monaco dynasty and theye were exactly the same
2 opposing couches , same kitchen same bedroom same shower location. Most of these also when u buy them at this stage have very strange odors and leather is cracking and carpet is stained. Then let's talk about the colors you get on the furniture and decor. It's hard also with these in low ceilings. If u ever go in a new one with the 8 footers it's a dream. Bath in a half , sectional couch mid mount tv , king bed . Probably mostly depends on your stage of rving but if you have been in the sport for along time the newer plans are very desirable versus the stamped out version that every brand had in that era.

Isn't that the truth. I've been window shopping for about six months now and my price point puts me into that locked in time floor plan you speak of. When I see something that is different and appealing I feel excited that maybe now I can narrow my selections down somewhat. I seem to see even less appealing floor plans in the DP's.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #72

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Probably mostly depends on your stage of rving but if you have been in the sport for along time the newer plans are very desirable versus the stamped out version that every br,and had in that era.
IMHO your post makes generalizations that aren't totally correct. Yes the ceilings were lower in the older coaches but I can live with that (I'm not that tall!) But there are other aspects of older MH's that simply aren't available today at any price.

Our 15 yr old Patriot Thunder has a better kitchen than ANY we saw at the Hershey show and we toured some very, very expensive rigs. I guess they assume that everyone who can afford a >$500k MH will go out to dinner every night. All I can say is that there wasn't a single one with anywhere near the counter space we have in ours. There were some that were depressingly small (to us). Also, our shower is larger than we had in our home and is larger than any we saw at Hershey.

And I won't even start to discuss things such as solid wood cabinet drawers, dovetailed on all four corners that weren't matched by those in the Entegra's or any other lines. Or a hydronic heating system burning diesel fuel not propane (love my 120 gal heating supply). Or large bore diesel engines like my CAT C-12 with 1550 ft-lbs of torque compared with the 6.7 liter Cummins "ISB" that powers many pretty expensive MH's today.

If what you buy a MH for is "floss" then the new ones are definitely better than the older ones. But IMO quality MH's built a decade ago were well designed products that shouldn't be summarily dismissed. Not only were they built well, they often have improvements that exceed anything you can get as OEM. For example, my $10k worth of Ekornes Stressless seating pieces are a bit of an "upgrade" from the OEM level. I'd take their "glove leather" upholstery and comfort over an Ultraleather FlexSteel or Villa piece in a heartbeat

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #73

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
I made a comment to another couple recently while attending a local RV show in my town over the summer. The comment was how cheap feeling the newer entry level 85k-135k MH feel and look compared to the used 2002-2008 models. The cabinetry, flooring and fabrics in particular. They even sound cheap while talking inside one. They agreed and they told me they had a 2004 LaPalma.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:49 AM   #74

lowejug
10 year old Monacos and Beavers were made by the same company, Monaco Coach Corporation MCC. So its no wonder they are similar, like Ford and Mercury were. Its the 'bones' that are all important in buying used. Look at a 20 yr old Foretravel and it still looks great. Look at a 20 yr old Coachmen for example. Glitz does not last. Get the 'right' coach--and the pre-Navistar Monacos are 'right'--and you can spend the money to upgrade and customize them knowing they will last. Those wishing to buy used must do their homework. Stick with known brands, and learn who makes what to avoid wasting time. Several venerable lines that went under have had their names purchased buy less than sterling companies and 'revived' by those companies hoping to sucker folks into thinking they are buying well. Caveat Emptor.
Old 12-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #75

as I said I owned a monaco dynasty- 2003 barons tag axle model ( arguably probably the best quality coach ever built, right there with beaver patriot) - cabinetry was real cherry wood-with plenty of other very quality built items in these coaches- never will deny they built them to the hilt back then.
-they wear out is all I am saying, even being as built as they are - as I owned one -
and as yes you can remodel but you can't change height and certain things-
sorry but theres more to the whole package then real wood cabinets and door handles-
and lets not get into the road master chassis 10 air bag that rides like a farm tractor- just go drive a freightliner or spartan model and you will agree-
Old 12-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #76

Quote:
The problem with the 10 year old dogs is there is no real floor plan difference. Had a beaver Santiam and then a Monaco dynasty and theye were exactly the same
2 opposing couches , same kitchen same bedroom same shower location. Most of these also when u buy them at this stage have very strange odors and leather is cracking and carpet is stained. Then let's talk about the colors you get on the furniture and decor. It's hard also with these in low ceilings. If u ever go in a new one with the 8 footers it's a dream. Bath in a half , sectional couch mid mount tv , king bed . Probably mostly depends on your stage of rving but if you have been in the sport for along time the newer plans are very desirable versus the stamped out version that every brand had in that era.
That's why they say there is a a$$ for every seat. We wanted low profile and a light colored exterior. I didn't even want a slide but my wife wanted one. Some of these new layouts do nothing for me especially the front kitchen with the fridge right behind the passenger seat. But some people love them. Also two opposing couches are great for families that have kids and don't want to do the bunk thing that they will most likely out grow.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:35 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
For obvious reasons (in signature block), I hope it is not 20 years old!!!
No sweat, Dean. You only have 29 sleepless nights ahead of you before you find out.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:55 AM   #78

Newmar Owners Club
Our 2001 Dutch Star DP

Our 2001 took us 1100 miles from Canada to Citra Florida without a glitch. Enjoying 70+ F weather as I write.
Old 12-03-2014, 12:03 PM   #79

Also newer DP use DEF which older coaches don't require. DEF is expensive, usually a pain to get to the pump since you have to go through the Big Rig 18 Wheeler pumps to get it, then which side is your DEF tank on?
Older coaches are also better constructed than the newer one. Ours is a 2013 and it has already spent over 64 days "in the shop" for slide repairs.
When we were looking at used one thing we found was that most of the DP were 40 foot or longer. We didn't want that. (Hindsight 20/20).
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #80

We bought our MH (see sig) April 2013. It had no records except for a Speedco record in a cabinet. We also bought a ESP, it has paid on everything repaired in/to the coach, the chassis has never needed any repairs so far. I take that back, I replaced a ride height rod rubber end last August. We are very happy with our MH, and the decision to buy used instead of new.

When MH shopping I was advised to buy one with dual fuel fills. That turned out to be excellent advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
Also newer DP use DEF which older coaches don't require. DEF is expensive, usually a pain to get to the pump since you have to go through the Big Rig 18 Wheeler pumps to get it, then which side is your DEF tank on?
Older coaches are also better constructed than the newer one. Ours is a 2013 and it has already spent over 64 days "in the shop" for slide repairs.
When we were looking at used one thing we found was that most of the DP were 40 foot or longer. We didn't want that. (Hindsight 20/20).
You got that right! A friend bought a 14 Fleetwood Discovery last spring. He is quite unhappy the DEF fill is on the passenger side and fuel fill on driver side.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a