Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #15

Wow, no mention of Newmar on this thread. I retired in 2010 and found a great 2000 DSDP, and we went fulltime. Been coast to coast, border to border, and Alaska twice. Wouldn't change a thing. There are a boat load of great used coach's that have been gently used. Just use due diligence and you'll find the one for you. Good Luck!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Location: Summer- Lake Diefenbaker, SK; winter- Westbay Marine Village, Victoria, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
Wow, no mention of Newmar on this thread. I retired in 2010 and found a great 2000 DSDP, and we went fulltime. Been coast to coast, border to border, and Alaska twice. Wouldn't change a thing. There are a boat load of great used coach's that have been gently used. Just use due diligence and you'll find the one for you. Good Luck!!!
Post #8 refers to a Newmar Essex?

When you are buying used motor homes it may well be even more critical to buy one that pleases your wife. Any girl with a sense of style might not want to be too dated; and if she isn't pleased...

On the other hand our winter neighbours have a coach that the wife picked out. Great layout, second rate construction. Their propane use was more than double what ours was, water leaks, power issues, poor fitting exterior panels.

No impulse buying allowed. Research is the key. Search for value, not just price.

jim.smithjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:51 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
So I guess one key point is staying with a pre 2006 coach. I guess the emission stuff post 2007 have been a pain? Aside from MPG issues and DEF costs, I wonder what are the other issues with the newer DP engines?
I love the DEF 2011 Cummins 5.9L engine in my motorhome. I get fantastic mileage (10-11mpg on a 30,000 lb. coach) and have had NO maintenace issues whatsoever. Just an annual oil change. I would highly reccomend it. Be careful of comments about DEF from non-owners of DEF engines. Talk to people that actually own them and use them! Cheers!
Old 04-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.smithjr View Post
Post #8 refers to a Newmar Essex? When you are buying used motor homes it may well be even more critical to buy one that pleases your wife. Any girl with a sense of style might not want to be too dated; and if she isn't pleased... On the other hand our winter neighbours have a coach that the wife picked out. Great layout, second rate construction. Their propane use was more than double what ours was, water leaks, power issues, poor fitting exterior panels. No impulse buying allowed. Research is the key. Search for value, not just price.
FYI, the OP said he will be travelling solo, as do I. So no wife to please=Freedom and Happiness!

Cheers!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #19

We love our AC Rev. Seems a great price performer for a 2005-2007, can be had under 100.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #20

If your going to buy used I would put more emphasis on what the coach comes with rather than the age (within reason of course). Example is if you plan on doing any boondocking then LED lighting is absolutely the best option and this comes on mostly newer coaches. Compare things like entertainment systems, a good three view camera, age of tires!, have all recalls been completed. DEF is a absolutely a non issue.
If your going to do any financing then check with lenders before committing to an older coach.

My opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:03 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Myself, I would go back as far as I could! I would be looking for something solid equipped with everything I was looking for? That's me though - somebody that enjoys messing around with his coach and doing 99% of any required work myself.

Other than getting rid of the CRT type TV's, new technology doesn't
present anything I can think of that would be on my "must have" list.
X2 on that 1000%!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
Stay with a 2006 or older engine to avoid emission related complexity.

You can easily get into a 2000 Prevost conversion. And NO the maintenance cost is not more than a similar traditional coach. I have a 99 Country Coach conversion with over 100,000 miles. I've owned it three years and have traveled through most states, to include Alaska. The maintenance costs are very similar to the 08 Beaver Contessa I had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
So I guess one key point is staying with a pre 2006 coach. I guess the emission stuff post 2007 have been a pain?
Aside from MPG issues and DEF costs, I wonder what are the other issues with the newer DP engines?
The biggest Jump cost in repair parts and maintenance happened when the engine companys went to the Common rail Injection systems.
These were introduced in the late 1990s
These are the ones that have ECMs or computers on them.

Its not uncommon to see people ditch all the emission controls on many of the newer pickups and see a 20% in Fuel Economy. Sad part is you Must get a aftermarket electronic tuner and you still have a computer and very high dollar High pressure oil/Fuel pump and injectors.

Simplest way to avoid all this is to just get a older vehicle.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #22

The Cummins ISM was never equipped with a common rail high pressure fuel system. They equipped it with an EGR valve for the '04 EPA regs and in '07 they sold it with EPA credits until they discontinued it at the end of '09. They made the decision to drop the engine line in around '05 in favor of a ISX13 in order to trim their product line.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
The Cummins ISM was never equipped with a common rail high pressure fuel system. They equipped it with an EGR valve for the '04 EPA regs and in '07 they sold it with EPA credits until they discontinued it at the end of '09. They made the decision to drop the engine line in around '05 in favor of a ISX13 in order to trim their product line.
That's certainly news. I thought all diesels since the early 2000 had electronic fuel injectors. All electronic fuel injectors are fed from a constant high pressure pump. It may not be common rail, but effectively the same thing. EGR is a method of reducing exhaust pollutants.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:54 PM   #24

I would suggest an older high end coach that has be taken care of. We purchased a 1999 American Tradition 40' with 61,000 miles on a 300 Cummins. I changed out the two TV's for under $600.00. All the older lights can be changed out for LED's for $200.00 at the most. I just removed the three burner gas stove and replaced it with a two burner electric INDUCTION stove top for under $400.00 same as the the brand new $500,000 coaches.
Bringing the old (15 years) girl up to date has been very very easy, FUN and really cheap. It's paid for and ready to roll.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #25
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda1usa View Post
I would suggest an older high end coach that has be taken care of. We purchased a 1999 American Tradition 40' with 61,000 miles on a 300 Cummins. I changed out the two TV's for under $600.00. All the older lights can be changed out for LED's for $200.00 at the most. I just removed the three burner gas stove and replaced it with a two burner electric INDUCTION stove top for under $400.00 same as the the brand new $500,000 coaches.
Bringing the old (15 years) girl up to date has been very very easy, FUN and really cheap. It's paid for and ready to roll.
I am a "It's paid for and ready to roll" = Fun person.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:51 AM   #26

Me too. Added bonus of something a little more "affordable"? After the purchase I don't feel like I've entered into a commitment to keep it's wheels rolling trying to justify/get my investment out of it like I might be with a more expensive coach?
Old 04-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagineIF View Post
That's certainly news. I thought all diesels since the early 2000 had electronic fuel injectors. All electronic fuel injectors are fed from a constant high pressure pump. It may not be common rail, but effectively the same thing. EGR is a method of reducing exhaust pollutants.
All IS_ Cummins engines have electronic injector pumps & injectors but the common rail design is a separate technology which runs at pressures up over 35,000 psi. This was necessary for a number of the in cylinder emissions reduction schemes. The original ISM was the outgrowth of the M11 and had the CM570 fuel system from introduction in 2000 and was updated in '03 to the CM870 for the EGR system. This was the system it had, with a small update or two until it was discontinued at the end of '09. Never had the high pressure common rail.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:02 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great feedback here, thanks for asking the question. I
We are currently ready to go from our Gas coach to a diesel. I tow 5-7 K so we are not looking for our retirement coach, but our first diesel and the info here is a great help

BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote