Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2014, 06:09 PM   #1
UAV

How Old Would You Go?

Hello Again Everybody...

Looking to replace the old Class A I recently sold with something newer.

Technology in RVs has changed a very significant amount in the past decade or so. It is truly amazing.

My question is this: Taking into account the following, how "old" would you go if you were to buy a "gently used" Class A?

1. Minimum 40'
2. Minimum 2 Slides
3. Diesel Pusher
4. Under 60,000 miles
5. Looking to go Full Time within the next 18 months or so with just little ol' me, most likely.
6. From $80,000 to $175,000.

Just curious as to how old and when you think most of the significant technological changes would help set a "cut-off" date for you.

And feel free to say something like "just buy new" if that is your thought.

Thanks again...Everyone is very helpful on this site and I dig it!
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sounds like 2009 to 2011 unless you are looking at Prevost or Newell.
The higher up the food chain (original cost) the higher your cost.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #3

Myself, I would go back as far as I could! I would be looking for something solid equipped with everything I was looking for? That's me though - somebody that enjoys messing around with his coach and doing 99% of any required work myself.

Other than getting rid of the CRT type TV's, new technology doesn't
present anything I can think of that would be on my "must have" list.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #4
JDL

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Myself, I would go back as far as I could! I would be looking for something solid equipped with everything I was looking for? That's me though - somebody that enjoys messing around with his coach and doing 99% of any required work myself.

Other than getting rid of the CRT type TV's, new technology doesn't
present anything I can think of that would be on my "must have" list.
I agree with the above. For a grand the old TVs are gone and you have a lot of coach in the price range. There are a lot of middle-high end coaches in your range pre DEF, which equate to lower operating costs and less complicated exhaust/engine packages.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by t55watson View Post
Sounds like 2009 to 2011 unless you are looking at Prevost or Newell.
The higher up the food chain (original cost) the higher your cost.
And the higher the maintenance costs.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:50 PM   #6

When we were shopping 4 years ago my requirement was MH less than 5 years old. We were replacing one 15 years old.

Most of the used units needed or soon would need tires etc.
Discount pricing available off MSRP made a brand new unit a better deal for us.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:58 PM   #7

Stay with a 2006 or older engine to avoid emission related complexity.

You can easily get into a 2000 Prevost conversion. And NO the maintenance cost is not more than a similar traditional coach. I have a 99 Country Coach conversion with over 100,000 miles. I've owned it three years and have traveled through most states, to include Alaska. The maintenance costs are very similar to the 08 Beaver Contessa I had.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:20 PM   #8

When we were MH shopping, several friends advised us to buy the highest quality MH we could afford, even though it meant buying older than we planned. We followed that advice and bought a 2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom built on a Spartan chassis with 23,xxx miles, their top of the line, limited production MH. One of those friends owns a 2006 Newmar Essex; after seeing our MH she said our coach has options and quality hers did not, but wished her coach had them. We are happy with our purchase and enjoy it thoroughly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAV View Post
Hello Again Everybody... Looking to replace the old Class A I recently sold with something newer. Technology in RVs has changed a very significant amount in the past decade or so. It is truly amazing. My question is this: Taking into account the following, how "old" would you go if you were to buy a "gently used" Class A? 1. Minimum 40' 2. Minimum 2 Slides 3. Diesel Pusher 4. Under 60,000 miles 5. Looking to go Full Time within the next 18 months or so with just little ol' me, most likely. 6. From $80,000 to $175,000. Just curious as to how old and when you think most of the significant technological changes would help set a "cut-off" date for you. And feel free to say something like "just buy new" if that is your thought. Thanks again...Everyone is very helpful on this site and I dig it!
If I were looking:
1. Monaco Signature, Executive, Dynasty. 2003-2006 vintage.
2. Up grade to 3 slide min. Two in the front really opens up the living area.
3. AquaHot.
4. Tag axle.
5. Lose the Milage requirement. If the drive train is maintained the mileage is totally unimportant.
6. Do look for complete maintenance records.

My wife and I have lived full time in our '03 Signature for 7 years now. We have no desire to trade. We have up graded the A/V equipment and remodeled the interior after 5 years for an insignificant % of what a trade would cost. The coach has 100k miles on the clock and I wouldn't hesitate to leave this week on a trip to Alaska.

Good luck in your hunt and let us know what you do.

Safe travels.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #10
UAV

You guys are great! Sucking up all the good info so I appreciate it very much!
UAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:19 PM   #11

I agree with Steve all those coaches are good choices and don't forget Travel Supreme Select we love our 05 a lot of coach for the money all electric tag axle aqua hot 500 HP Cummings and it is in your budget.. I would choose a well cared for older high line model.
jerryhawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:27 PM   #12

Georgie Boy Owners Club
So I guess one key point is staying with a pre 2006 coach. I guess the emission stuff post 2007 have been a pain?

Aside from MPG issues and DEF costs, I wonder what are the other issues with the newer DP engines?
cucotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #13

2007 was when diesel particulant filters were mandated. 2010 for DEF or equivalent. DPF was troublesome for some. It did not make a big impact on fuel mileage. Many DEF engines did take a big hit on fuel mileage. Both engines have increased maintenance costs. FWIW, 2007+ engines aren't found in many 2007 model year coaches. Even a few 2008 model coaches had 2006 engines.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
I would be looking for a 2002-3 Country Coach Magna or Affinity or Prevost Conversion. Also in the mix could be the top end Travel Supreme.

For Country Coach that was the sweet spot for their quality and features (IMHO). Later coaches got too complex. Although, I sure like the 2006 models of the Magna & Affinity also.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote