Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2015, 09:14 PM   #57

I'll mention again. A big stack of cash money. Very important.

Being southern Californian we can easily keep the rig fully stocked ready to go 24/7/365. I'm of the group that wants a fully loaded rv sitting there - but for some computer gear. Ideally when we return from a trip nothing gets unloaded. Only for laundry and cleanup perhaps.

I'm somewhat surprised that at least 2 to 4 weeks of food wouldn't be in all bug out equipped RVs. I'm not talking balanced gourmet meals though. Just emergency rations.

Flee from what? I don't know. You'll have to check with those 12th Century nut cases about that. We just want to be ready.
keepmovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2015, 10:03 PM   #58

iRV2 No Limits Club
tke more than 4 min. tusamie got you and earth quake less
hartb1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:46 AM   #59

As I have been looking around the country in search of a better place to retire to it seems they all suffer occasional breakdowns in the support structure for various reasons. Some folks are prepared and seem to get by while others depend on somebody else and find there is no one else or the else takes several days to get there.

Motor homes are a good way to back up personal safety either stocked as he can where it stays warm or as a source of power where it freezes but power distribution goes down in the snow where I am. I don't keep the MH stocked in the winter because the house is stocked and warm. Emergencies here would more likely require hunkering down in place rather than getting somewhere. The MH can easily supply ample electrical power to keep the house warm while I can get water several ways if it fails or revert to the MH in a timely manner if everything fails. If I am prepared and you are not I can easily sit back and watch you struggle with a clear conscience if you had your opportunity and did prepare. I'd be more likely to help those who did what they could but could not do as much as I could. I certainly would not mock those who do prepare.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #60

Full of gas, winterized, setting in garage, plugged in. Could be ready to go in a couple hours, just need food and water...
Old 01-06-2015, 04:35 AM   #61

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great question!

1 hour or less! If we really need to get out faster than it's just the time to get in the toad with the cats and drive to our storage lot.

Coach is always ready to go, most everything the house has the coach has, less food but that is just taking it out of the frig and cabinets and loading in the coach.
  1. Coach levels are checked 1st of every month even if coach has been used.
  2. Fuel Tanks are topped off at the end of every use.
  3. Batterys are check 1st of every month.
  4. Tires are check for pressure and defects after every use and the 1st of every month.
  5. Engine and genset are checked for leaks and levels are check at the end of every use and the 1st of evey month.
  6. Engine and genset are run and checked for leaks and levels the 1st of every month.
  7. Leveling jacks are checked for leaks at the end of every use and the 1st of every month.
  8. Flash lights are checked and batteries rotated every 3 months.
  9. Beer/wine/wiskey/vodka stock rotated every 2 months.
  10. 308/50/9MM stock rotated evey 3 months.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:32 AM   #62

This thread is very interesting as I had to move my wife and first born out just 3 years ago due to radiactive plumes from the crippled power plant up in Fukushima. at that time I sent the wife and Kayla (just 1 y/o) south west out fo the plumes path to Iwakuni airstation which was about 700 miles to the southeast. at that time I used canned goods, + bottled water + 2 jerry cans of fuel to get them rolling and out of harms way in the wifes car. I stayed behind due to job.

I have a new job which affords me the ability to jet on a moments notice, so I am now searching for options to make us a little more self sufficient/mobile.

After a quick serach this is the first thread that popped up when I searched for dehydrated, freeze dried, or survival food. I am preparing to buy some of the commercially made freeze dried or dehydrated foods. I am looking at the mountian house brand as they seem to have a lot of good reviews. Anybody got some sage advice? I have two younguns + SAW (Scary Angry Wife) (joke please don't tell her) + the two wonder cats.

I was looking at about 1months worth of the freeze dried foods from mounatin house + a gravity fed water purification unit like the berkey. the TT is always prepped mechanically so it all boils down to some emerency rats. I can buy MRE's in the commisary but price wise/longevity the freeze dried wins hands down. Maybe 1 months of freeze dreid + 2 weeks of MRE's as a change of pace? I can change the MRE's out over the course of each ear to keep them fresh, thow they hav ela ot of calories and take a lot of space. ANy input is welcome.

Ken Morgan

PS: cats food would be canned/vacume packed dry so don't worry about them
kenn_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
I am just wondering how certain items fair in the coach year round...in winter's cold and summer's heat? This is our first coach bought in October and we have built an open carport (hoping to enclose next year). I have kept it stocked with household items but no canned goods, etc (though I did leave my canisters of staples-flour , sugar etc) because I'm wondering if such will freeze during winter. We live in Ark so winter's are usually mild but we normally have 2-3 weeks of below freezing temps...right now lows at 12F. What has been your experience? Thanks!
Old 01-11-2015, 11:16 AM   #64

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our coach is always packed and ready to roll; as much because when we can go we want to just roll as being prepared for a crisis. As a general rule from mid March through November we need to add some clothes, but there are always a pair of jeans or two, underclothes, socks, shirts, etc for at least 3 to 5 days out. Food basics including things like spices, canned goods, pancake mix, pasta, gin, scotch, wine and snacks (that are all sealed) stay in coach. Once the snacks are opened they come back in house and rotated in coach. When we are heading out we usually stop for fresh fruit, vegetables, meat, eggs and dairy. Water and gas refilled at end of trip. Also have 4-5 mre's, should last a week or more in a crisis for two of us. Boxes underneath get emptied once or twice a year for cleaning, but generally stay packed.

In the winter fuel is filled, water drained of course and virtually everything, inside the coach, except clothes removed and stored In a few bags/boxes, ready to roll quickly. Have found that we (ME) check labels of aspirin, dry goods, etc when we put back in the coach in the early spring. It is easier for me to empty everything instead of wondering/worrying about freezing and thawing of medicine cabinet stuff, tooth paste, cleaning supplies, etc.

We live 35 minutes north west of midtown Manhattan and, after 9/11 are very aware of the need to be ready. Since the kids were very young we have always had a meeting place, in the Adirondacks, in the event we get separated, cell service down, etc. Maybe a little paranoid but, in this area the terrorism of 9/11 is very real... Much the way people worry about earthquakes, forest fires, etc. in other places around the Country. Why have a home on wheels if it is not ready to roll on a moments notice?
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:40 AM   #65

In an emergency situation, we could leave (assuming leaving was an option) in as long as it takes to hook up the toad, about 10 minutes. There are always enough supplies for us and the dog to survive for a minimum of a week. Fuel is full, propane topped off, fresh water full. We also keep toiletries etc, completely stocked and routinely rotate into the S&B to keep fresh.

That said, after reading this thread, there are a few things we'll be adding to our preparedness list. There is lots of good info here. Thanks, we're reading with great interest.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:36 PM   #66

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As of right now all I have is my small off road camping trailer with all my camping gear loaded and ready. Mh is a 30 min drive and is not an option to use at a moments notice. After reading this thread I'm going to focus on having both ready to go. I do have 1 week of mre's for 6 and a well stocked canned food to toss in the back of one of the jeeps if it came down to it. I'm more prepared to stay at the house. I have a welding machine that can run the fridge and a couple of lights if need be. I'm surprised nobody mentioned a first aid kit. I keep several around one in the trailer, work truck, jeep and one in the s &b.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:01 PM   #67

Good call

Quote:
Originally Posted by planojeeper View Post
As of right now all I have is my small off road camping trailer with all my camping gear loaded and ready. Mh is a 30 min drive and is not an option to use at a moments notice. After reading this thread I'm going to focus on having both ready to go. I do have 1 week of mre's for 6 and a well stocked canned food to toss in the back of one of the jeeps if it came down to it. I'm more prepared to stay at the house. I have a welding machine that can run the fridge and a couple of lights if need be. I'm surprised nobody mentioned a first aid kit. I keep several around one in the trailer, work truck, jeep and one in the s &b.

Good call on the first aid kit. I keep a small one in the camper at all times, but I should probably beef it up. The only meds we need to carry currently are some acid reflux meds for when it occasionally rears its head.
kenn_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:24 AM   #68

Kind of hard to "be ready" in the fridged North. I pull everything out to keep it from freezing and breaking. The batteries are in and on a battery minder. The fuel & propane tanks are full and I do keep the snow plowed out behind it. Most of my "stuff" is in rubbermaid containers ready to throw in.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:58 AM   #69

Tiffin Owners Club
Won't take us long either. We would need to pack food and the grill. I take everything out that would attract mice. Even take the can of coffee out.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote